Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running vest

1,493 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by coop-aero-06
oldarmy76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's starting to get hot and I need to carry more water on trail runs. What vests do y'all recommend? Do any of you just use a heavy duty belt? Probably looking to do up to 3 hour runs just for reference.

Thanks!
Ragoo
AG
Watching
Hincemm
AG
Orange mud has some very good products
AggieOO
I use the Salomon 3 set.
oldarmy76
Does the # just correspond to the volume in liters? Do you know how the Solomon's work in the heat when compared to other options?
bushytailed
AG
I already had a 1.5L bladder, so I only needed to buy the vest. There are options for bladders and/or bottles for it. I'm liking mine so far. I don't need anything super fancy and the price was good.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XPVDM5N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g3oREbG3WJNNT

I trained for an ran my first three marathons with just a fuel belt and a couple 8oz bottles. I wish I had switched to a vest sooner because it's a PITA to refill water bottles multiple times in a run. I used a different vest for my fourth marathon and will be training for number five with the one above.
ec2004
AG
I use and like the Camelbak Circuit vest For trail runs here in Colorado - which may stretch to 2 hrs or so.

It is 50 oz so that might not be enough for 3 hour runs in the heat.
AggieOO
oldarmy76 said:

Does the # just correspond to the volume in liters? Do you know how the Solomon's work in the heat when compared to other options?

I believe the number corresponds more to the pockets/features. I use the soft flasks, but can get a bladder in it, if need be.

I've done a bunch of Ultras with it, both in cold and heat. It's fine once you get use to it. Only word of caution is to wash it fairly regularly when you are sweating heavily. Two of the zippers on mine don't really work anymore bc the salt seems to have corroded them.
mrsbeer05
AG
I love my Nathan vest. Had it for 3 years.
johnson2012
AG
I am by no means a vet, but I got an Osprey duro 6 w/ 1.5L reservoir last year for trail running and longer runs in general during the hot months. It's been great so far.

I think Nashbar is having a sale on most of their Osprey packs right now as well.
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

I use the Salomon 3 set.

I remember many years ago when a poor soul dared asked what the best hydration options were for running and Aggie00 teed off. Everything looked stupid and what the eff was the point of bringing water with you when all you had to do was stop by any of the numerous water fountains lining every running route known to man. One of the unintended funniest posts and one I'm not likely to forget. Granted, it was before Aggie00 was chewed up and spit out by NYC and the resulting humility that followed. I don't think the OP for that thread back in the day ever dared venture back to this forum after that reply.

For really long trail runs I lean towards a reservoir type option and for shorter runs I'm generally bringing a bottle hooked to some type of belt. My daughter uses a hand-held bottle and really doesn't like anything else. My son has taken the younger Aggie00 approach and doesn't bring water and has yet to drink anything during a run. He does have several half marathon wins and podiums so it's working for him, at least for him in his early 20s.
AggieOO
That was likely in my marathon days. And if I still ran road races, I likely wouldn't regularly carry water. I still pretty much only carry water on trail runs and/or something over 2ish hours.

That said, I won't deny that a twenty something version of myself poked fun at someone wearing a fuel belt and probably told someone to plan a route that went by water fountains, but I'm guessing the reply was a bit less heinous than as described. And if it was, then here it is, "I was wrong." Based on your verbiage above, you are obviously not a fan of me. That's ok.

NYC did anything but chew me up and spit me out. I ran my fastest times at most distances in my time there.
htxag09
AG
I have the Nathan VAPORKRAR. I like it because it has two bottles upfront, one for water and one for my electrolyte drink.
Sooner Born
Getting this bad boy back on topic. I have the Nathan vapor air and love it. I'm not an ultra guy so my long runs have peaked around 3 hours which means I don't have to worry about refilling anything. I love the simplicity of the bladder and how easy it is to drink from and then the pockets to hold a phone and gels.
RockOn
Nathan vapor krar is my favorite of all time.

The salomon vests would be next recommendation.

RustyBoltz
AG
I've run a couple marathons and an ultra(50K) with a Camelback ultra. I've been pretty happy with it but I do find if I run with a thin tank top, I'll chafe a bit but otherwise I've use it without issue.
oldarmy76
So a tried out the Solomon advanced skin 5 set and the Nathan pack recommended above.
I had to return the Nathan prior to using. I really wanted to like it, but my ribs stick out oddly on my left side which is the only place in the pack to store a cell phone. The rubbing/poking was going to be too much so I did t even do more than a jog across the house.
I really like the Solomon pack. The stretchy ties on the front make it fit so well and stay close to the body yet flexible for sucking wind going uphill. Not a huge fan of the water bottle setup when compared to the Nathan, but I've gotten to where I'm ok with them.
The stitching on the water pouch came apart after 2 runs and the water container would bounce around I. Bottom of vest. I called in a Warrenty claim, and they said to keep the vest and gave me a voucher for a new one. I used the voucher to buy the 12 set version (which has a 12 liter storage volume) and had my wife go after the vest with her sewing machine. I think I now have 2 vests that hopefully hold up. They have been a game changer to go for longer runs in jt his heat.

Thought I would give an update in appreciation of y'all s suggestions.
coop-aero-06
coop-aero-06
AG
Naked running belt with 2 500mL Salomon soft flasks. It's nice to not wear a vest in the heat.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.