Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Sleep Apnea Advice

1,367 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
BCOBQ98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some advice.

I've been tired, snore, and generally don't feel I've been sleeping well for some time. I am somewhat overweight 240lbs at 6 foot 1 so sure that doesn't help. I was lighter 220 ~18 months ago when I was running 20-25 miles a week and even did a half marathon right at 2 hours but that has gone to the wayside and I haven't run in a few months.

I went in to see a sleep doctor and he said based on what I said 85% chance I had sleep apnea. He prescribed an at home sleep study. Based on it they said I was having 5 episodes a night which is right at the minimum amount for the to prescribe a cpap.

I'm now faced with the decision to get the cpap. The place that the doctor works with wants $1,300 for the machine and my part with insurance is around 500 bucks. I looked on an independent site and they only want 800 bucks for the same machine. I feel like this provider is ripping everyone off.

Do I get the machine? Do I just focus on being more healthy which I was successful at but haven't been lately...TIA
Kool
AG
Sometimes a home sleep test can underestimate your AHI (number of events per hour (not per night)) because the denominator (time spent sleeping) is OVERestimated. A home sleep test just isn't quite as good as an in-lab test at determining exactly when you were and were not asleep during the night, although they are quite accurate in general.
If you wanted to do CPAP, and go around your ordering physician, you could look for a machine that would do auto-PAP and set it from 4 - 20 cm H2O with a ramp of 20 minutes or so. You could see how you tolerated it, but if you are borderline anyway and do not have any cardiovascular issues, weight loss might put you in the range where you don't need anything.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Listen to the doctor...

I have friends/family that have sleep apnea. None of them regret getting a cpap. ALL of them regret not getting it sooner.

I have hunted with guys that have sleep apnea before and after cpap. It is a blessing for both parties.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I have a cpap and it is the best decision I have ever made. I fought it for a while but the difference in alertness and quality of rest is incredible.
Caliber
AG
I'd probably do the full sleep study before CPAP... also, have you tried any other sleep remedies?

I had a friend recommend a wedge pillow under my normal pillow. I've always been a 1 pilllow person, so it was an adjustment, but I've had it 6 months now and my wife says I haven't snored since.

The wedge pillow was my last step before actually scheduling a sleep study. She never said I stopped breathing, woke up gasping or anything, just that I snored loudly. I sleep so much better now, feel less tired.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Has anyone with sleep apnea tried Inspire?
Kool
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Has anyone with sleep apnea tried Inspire?
I don't have sleep apnea, but I am double boarded in ENT and sleep medicine and have done a bunch of Inspire procedures. It works really well. We have never had anything great for treating the tongue base in OSA, short of having an oral surgeon do a bimaxillary advancement (break both upper and lower jaws, move them forward, often involves orthodontics, etc.). If you have an AHI of between 15-65, with predominantly obstructive events, and a BMI (varies between insurances but usually less than 34) in the appropriate range and have tried and failed CPAP, it's a really good option.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks. I have tried all kinds of masks and nasal pillows is the only one I can get any sleep with. But, I still can't keep it on all night. I fit the bill for Inspire treatment so I may go check it out. Any suggestions for who to see in Austin?
94DallasAG
AG
I had a cpap recommended by a doctor, not an ENT, without any sleep tests and struggled with it for 2 years. Finally did a full in house overnight study where i had an AHI been 80-100. I was not largely overweight, maybe 15 pound. The ENT did a full roter rooter on me and took out my tonsils. That was 11 years ago and one of the best things to ever happen to me. Still sleep like a baby and do not snore. The recovery was brutal though. I recommend that ENT to anyone that asks. He literally saved my life. Great doctor!
Kool
AG
I have a call out to my Inspire reps. I'll get a name (or two) back, but also look on their website and it'll show Austin ENTs who do it. Good luck.
Kool
AG
My reps got back to me with a recommendation for Dr. Robert Nason. Check him (or another Inspire M.D.) out. Good luck and report back.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Thanks!!!!
Know Your Enemy
AG
The CPAP sucks getting used to but once you do it works wonders.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.