Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How to determine appropriate weekly mileage?

1,772 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gordon McKernan
Gordon McKernan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have run a few half marathons in the past (none in last year), and have been running the last few weeks pretty consistently (5-6x/wk) due to COVID keeping me locked up at home, but realized I was already doing too much mileage too quickly. Prior to this for the last year or so I was doing a lot more lifting and maybe only 1-2 runs/wk (usually in the 2-5 mi range).

From an endurance/performance standpoint... right now I would have no problem running a 10 mile run at 9 min pace (which would be a 'comfortable' pace)... A 5-6 mile run at 8 minute or slightly under pace, or a 5K at sub 7:30 pace. My best half marathon (over a year ago) was a 1:42.

But.... after a few weeks of consistent running I can tell my joints/tendons aren't handling the mileage as well as i'd like. After my run two days ago I developed some real soreness/tightness in my achilles. I can also tell my ITBS is flaring up a little more as well (although I have always been able to manage this pretty well as the pain has always been very tolerable).

I haven't ran since, been icing/stretching/rolling, and planning to rest through the weekend & maybe do a 1 or 2 mi run on Monday to test out the achilles & go from there.

While I don't plan to run a marathon in the next few months (would like to next winter), would it be best to maybe just find a beginner marathon training plan & use that as a template of weekly mileage buildup or is there another route that would be better? Eventually, I'd love to be able to do 45-50+ mi/weeks on a consistent basis but I know I have to take my time ramping up to that level.
wcb
AG
BarryP for the win. Start with 2/4/2/4/2/6 and add 0.5 to your short run every two weeks.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2545826;
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2548469;
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2554998;

That's parts 1, 2, and 3 in order. Got in the best running shape of my life following these.

For bonus, do all runs at MAF heart rate while building base.

https://philmaffetone.com/180-formula/

The Pilot
AG
I'd go the Hal Higdonroute for a beginner option.
ptothemo
AG
The first three links are all 404 Not Found for me. It looks like they might be truncated in some way, but I'm not sure. I tried removing the semicolon at the end of each but no dice.
wcb
AG
Fixed
Sooner Born
What kind of pace(s) are you doing your current runs at? I think you're right that running 5-6 time a week isn't ideal for someone just getting back into a running plan but the symptoms you're showing also make me guess that you're running too fast.
Ragoo
AG
Sooner Born said:

What kind of pace(s) are you doing your current runs at? I think you're right that running 5-6 time a week isn't ideal for someone just getting back into a running plan but the symptoms you're showing also make me guess that you're running too fast.
agree with the pace comment.
Gordon McKernan
Thanks all for the replies and the links. For paces I'm doing most of the longer runs at 9-9:30. Which is a fairly easy pace and my HR stays in the mid to low 140s for majority of the time.

I've done a few harder runs mixed in usually 5 miles or less where my pace will drop to mid 7s. I think the workout that hurt the Achilles was a 1.5 mi warmup, 3x1 mile intervals, 1.5 mi cooldown. The mile intervals i did at a low 7 pace. I felt good for it but next day is when the Achilles started acting up.

I just walked around the neighborhood w the kids and did a few short strides and felt pretty good so think I'll give it till Monday and then try easing back into a few short runs (1-2 mi).

If those feel good I'll probably target 15-20 mi / wk & build from there, mainly easy runs and keep the pace real slow.
coop-aero-06
AG
Gordon McKernan said:

While I don't plan to run a marathon in the next few months (would like to next winter), would it be best to maybe just find a beginner marathon training plan & use that as a template of weekly mileage buildup or is there another route that would be better? Eventually, I'd love to be able to do 45-50+ mi/weeks on a consistent basis but I know I have to take my time ramping up to that level.
I would use the Hal Higdon plans as a guide to build your mileage. Since you're not a total novice, you should be able to look through all of them and decide which is appropriate for your fitness level.

While you're building up your mileage, every run should be easy. After a month or so, you can probably start incorporating speed work or tempo runs.
Sooner Born
coop-aero-06 said:

While you're building up your mileage, every run should be easy. After a month or so, you can probably start incorporating speed work or tempo runs.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Gordon McKernan
Thanks guys... Decided to extend the break an extra day and just now went out for my first 'run' since last week. Did an easy 2 mile run, avg HR 135, avg pace 9:25. All my running is on concrete typically, today ran about half of it in the grass. No issues in achilles or knee & felt good. Being in Houston though it is really starting to warm up & I felt it today going out at lunch instead of in the morning.

Looking through some of the training plans think I am going to target the 18-20/mi week starting point & build from there.

Next, have to find some new shoes. I have been running in Brooks Ghost 9's. I don't hate the shoe but have never loved it.. Always felt a little too bulky for me. Think I am going to try another brand out. After looking around & watching a lot of reviews, the Hoka Rincons have caught my eye. I'd love to try them on before buying them but not sure how possible that is with all this going on right now.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.