Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Daily weight fluctuations

1,005 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
aggiebrad94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Background
About 9 months ago my wife's breast cancer came back in a bad way. Just like every normal American, I went to Google to research best diets / foods / etc for her. At that time, I decided to switch to a Plant Based Whole Foods diet for my own future health. I immediately dropped about 10 pounds. Through additional research, I dabbled in a couple of months of Keto and lost an additional 10 pounds. However, this past January I decided that the best long term solution for me was to go back to PBWF - and my weight shot up.

I realized I wasn't paying attention to calories and my nightly dessert routine was to munch on cashews in front of the TV was not smart. So, about 3 weeks ago, I started using an App to calorie count each meal and have really enjoyed the education and results. I'm down 7 pounds and about 12 pounds away from my long term goals.

Question
After my quick reduction down to 195, I realized I was having trouble breaking the 193 barrier. I decided to do a couple of days of IF to see if I could shock my system back into weight loss. Here is what the days & calorie deficits looked like:

• Sunday - 193 lbs - 40 calories surplus (a friend brought over brisket and I had too be nice)
  • Monday - 192.6 lbs - 536 calorie deficit
  • Tuesday - 192.6 lbs - 935 calorie deficit
  • Wednesday - 194.6 lbs

What I don't understand is how I could be 1400 calories under my daily goal for two days and I still went up. I'm sure there is some science behind it and was hoping the power of texags could help me out.
htxag09
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

About 9 months ago my wife's breast came back in a bad way.
Uhhh, what?
P.U.T.U
AG
I am so confused, the breast came back and a plant based whole food diet that includes brisket.

Thinking you have a yoyo diet that is common and the reason why most people fail to hit their goals, stick to eating real foods and stay active.
Potcake
AG
I'm guessing he meant to add cancer.
aggiebrad94
AG
Beast cancer - yes. Thank you.
I've been eating the PBWF diet at a 99% clip. I splurged ONE day to eat some brisket that a neighbor cooked. It still was only a few calories over my daily goal. This isn't a yo-yo issue. The question is about calorie deficits and weight gain.
P.U.T.U
AG
3500 calories is a pound so staying a similar weight could be due to hormones, water weight, carbs (carbs make you hold more water weight), and several other issues. Unless you need to I would no weigh yourself everyday, do it at the same time every week.
aggiebrad94
AG
P.U.T.U said:

3500 calories is a pound so staying a similar weight could be due to hormones, water weight, carbs (carbs make you hold more water weight), and several other issues. Unless you need to I would no weigh yourself everyday, do it at the same time every week.
This is what I was hoping to get confirmed. I'm in this for the long haul, just wondered about the interesting parts of the short term.
AggieChemE09
AG
https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
aggiebrad94
AG
AggieChemE09 said:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
That's a great article. Thanks for posting!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Your daily weight fluctuation had more to do with water retention and or diuresis.

Bit of extra salt will have you retain water and you will weigh more. You can diutesis by gulping down a fee bottles of water and you will weigh less next morning after a major void.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.