Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

I might have a shoe problem

2,488 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by txam92
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
II'm cleaning out my closet today and pulled out about two years worth of shoes. Kind of funny and startling to see them all in a pile. Currently active shoes in the front. 9 pairs of Brooks Glycerines in total (14's, 15's and 17's).

AggieOO
When I left nyc, I had 37 pairs under my desk at work alone. I was probably well over 100 pairs at that point in my life.
ptothemo
AG
https://imgur.com/a/uaXMlVG
Running shoes are definitely a thing.

ETA - I cant seem to figure out to get the actual pic to embed but oh well.
cjo03
AG
Sooner Born said:

II'm cleaning out my closet today and pulled out about two years worth of shoes. Kind of funny and startling to see them all in a pile. Currently active shoes in the front. 9 pairs of Brooks Glycerines in total (14's, 15's and 17's).

Yes you do have a shoe problem... all those shoes and no swooshes?!
The Pilot
AG
My now wife made my cull the pack when we moved in. I think I had 25 or 30 at one point. She mandates it remain in the 5-10 range.
bigtruckguy3500
Why so many shoes? Even when I ran a lot more than I did, I'd stick with one pair till it was worn out. Is it for color coordination? Spread the wear out among multiple shoes? Or is it just as simple as you like buying running shoes?
ptothemo
AG
For me, spreading the wear out and giving them time to rest and dry out, particularly when it's hot, is the functional reason. Just loving running shoes is the fun reason.
The Pilot
AG
For me, they'd just pilled on. At my peak, I was probably going through a new pair every 5-6 wks.
Sooner Born
The Pilot said:

For me, they'd just pilled on. At my peak, I was probably going through a new pair every 5-6 wks.

That's me too. I'm in a new pair about every 8 weeks and for whatever reason I just don't throw them out.

All of the shoes not in the front row have at least 400 miles on them. Most of them closer to 500.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I go through them every few months. But I keep a couple old pairs for around the house, walks, workouts, etc and donate the rest
Ragoo
AG
New running shoes cycles the old ones down.

Previous running shoe becomes cross trainers or general wear around shoe.

Previous wear around shoe becomes yard work shoe.

Previous yard work shoe hits the trash.
AggieOO
BTW - my post wasn't meant as a one-up. More of a "you are not alone."
Sooner Born
I didn't see it as a one up at all. I wish my feet/body allowed me to vary shoes. I would have a stable of 10+ active ones at all times. Buying the same ones over and over gets incredibly boring but alas, that's not to be.
wcb
AG
I'll try to post my glycerin collection later today. Looks pretty close to that.

How many miles do you guys typically expect out of a pair of shoes? Just curious.
ptothemo
AG
I typically get 300 out of them, which is low compared to most people I think. I have a history of ankle and Achilles issues that tend to really pop up when shoes are at higher mileage, so I'd rather replace the shoes and mitigate the health risk.
The Pilot
AG
400-500 mi.
wbt5845
AG
I typically get 300-400 out of a pair.

Running shoes move to Camp Gladiator - CG moves to yard work - yard work gets thrown away.

Rinse. Repeat.
zachsccr
AG
450-500 for my adidas boosts
400 for my Nike Pegasus

Shoes go from running only, to then wear around, and then trash. normally too shot after that to donate.
AgPediRPh
AG
I fail to see the problem...
Post removed:
by user
RustyBoltz
AG
I pulled all mine out and was berated for the number of Altra's I have accumulated. But besides the 4 pairs of Torins and 5 pairs of Escalantes, I really only had 2 different trail shoes, a pair of racing flats and a new pair of the Kayenta's I wanted to try using for sprint tri's.
PlanoAg98
AG
Have you ever tried anything other than Brooks? I was a Brooks guy for years until I tried a pair of Hokas. Now I wonder why I lived in foot poverty for so long.
The Pilot
AG
In marriage you pick your battles, I'm not fighting for this one.
Goldie Wilson
Probably worth it's own thread, but I'd be interested to hear what shoes everybody else runs in.
Sooner Born
PlanoAg98 said:

Have you ever tried anything other than Brooks? I was a Brooks guy for years until I tried a pair of Hokas. Now I wonder why I lived in foot poverty for so long.

Foot poverty? I used to be a big Hokas guy but after missing almost a year of running due to various calf injuries, I found an insole/Brooks Glycerine combo that has kept me largely injury free and averaging more than 2,00 miles/year since 2016.
ptothemo
AG
Dan 07 said:

Probably worth it's own thread, but I'd be interested to hear what shoes everybody else runs in.

Here's one - https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/3069490/replies

I think there is another one that is relatively recent but haven't found it just yet. Running shoes are a popular topic around here, but the discussion isn't always as concentrated.
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Foot poverty? I used to be a big Hokas guy but after missing almost a year of running due to various calf injuries, I found an insole/Brooks Glycerine combo that has kept me largely injury free and averaging more than 2,00 miles/year since 2016.
I guess it all depends on your feet and running style. I went to a store called Dallas Running Company where they take all these measurements/pressure points of your footprints, record/analyze your running style, and then recommend a shoe.
Sooner Born
I did the same thing and that's how I found the Brooks Glycerine. Consistency is the secret sauce of running so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Sooner Born
Brooks has the Glycerine 17's on sale right now for $97.50. I just bought two pair. Should be good through the summer now.

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/glycerin-17-mens-running-shoe/110296.html
aTm_bomb
AG
Did the same. I got about 4 pairs unworn ready for some serious miles. Figure rotatinging them gives a little extra life too. Probably a years worth of shoes for me.
txam92
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

I ordered these the other day after seeing this and had my first run today. Night and day difference for me too!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.