Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

My Home Gym

20,040 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Disco Stu
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hardly ever post on the fitness board - I consider myself an average Joe (under average actually) when it comes to fitness. But over the last 9 months I've been putting together my own home gym...one piece at a time. I figured with all the gyms closed people might be more interested in gearing up their home workout spaces so figured I would share what I've been doing.

I like buying local (Austin) when I can...Fringe Sport and in the past Kettlebell Kings was also local (I don't believe they are anymore). Dynamax is also based here in Austin somewhere, although they don't offer local pickup as far as I can tell. Fringe Sport has an email list you can get on for weekly specials and they have a local pickup discount as well. Everything I bought from Fringe Sport was local pickup and usually a sale item of the week at a good discount (half price on the power rack!)

Total equipment list - you can certainly do this cheaper if you want and you don't need everything here - especially at the beginning. The smaller stuff just seems to accumulate over time lol. My last 2 additions (adj dumbbells + adj bench) arguably should have been my first...who says I'm logical?

Fringe Sport 2x3 power cage
Rep Fitness FB-5000 w/wide pad
Rep Fitness AB-5000 + leg attachment (waiting on being shipped)

American Barbell Elite power bar
Fringe Sport Bomba Bar - for the wife
Titan Fitness V2 Safety Squat Bar
Fringe Sport Trap Bar
Fringe Sport EZ curl bar

Fringe Sport bumper plates (2x45, 2x25, 2x10)
Vulcan Strength V-lock change plates (4x5 2x2.5)
Ironmaster dumbbells 45lb + micro plate set (arriving tomorrow)
Kettlebell Kings Competition 33mm Kettlebells - 8kg, 12kg, 16kg, 20kg (local pickup discount)

DIY step up box
Agility Ladder
Fringe Sport battle rope 50'x1.5"
6'x3'x2" exercise mat
Dynamax 10lb and 14lb medicine balls - maroon and grey!
20lb Slam ball
Fringe Sport Farmers walk handles
OSO Barbell collars
Fringe Sport wood gymnastic rings
Various resistance bands
EliteFTS lifting belt
Chalk

For now this all lives in my garage on top of some horse stall mats...in a not very dedicated space for working out. It actually doesn't take up as much space as it sounds like though. But its a near no-go zone in the dead of summer.

I'm not quite finished (is one ever?). Things I'd like to change/add:

I'd like to replace the Fringe sport rack with the Rep PR-4000 and accessories.
I'll be able to sell the Fringe Sport rack at near cost given how much of a discount I bought it at when I do.

Concept 2 rower

Rep FT-5000 functional trainer

Want to replace the rubber bumper plates with Vulcan urethane plates + get more of them

Get another set of the Vulcan V-lock change plates, just for less changing between bars.

Room addition to store it all...this will have to wait until the economy recovers.

javajaws
AG
Oh...the reason I'm only now getting the adjustable dumbbells is because while I've been building up my equipment I've also been going to a local gym...which is where I usually do all my dumbbell exercises. Until now of course.
AggieOO
We are working to set ours up. Will be pretty simple. Peloton and then a workout area next to that. Have some dumbbells already, but need to get a couple kettle bells. Then we will move the TV in the living room out there and upgrade the living room TV.

For summer, it'll probably suck, but we can open both garage doors and the side door. There's a ceiling fan in the garage, and we have a couple box fans. Thought about picking up a portable AC unit, but venting would be a challenge.
aggiespartan
AG
Why does your wife use a different bar? Honest question. I'm a girl too.
javajaws
AG
aggiespartan said:

She likes the smaller grip...and it was a blem (cheap!). It may or may not stay around the garage.

I will say it's nice to have an extra bar though for outside the rack work when your other bar is inside the rack.

FyI...if you can afford it the American Barbell mammoth bar is currently on sale.
javajaws
AG
AggieOO said:

Thought about picking up a portable AC unit, but venting would be a challenge.
I've had one of those portable AC units before and made a hole in my garage for the vent. But it's still pretty inefficient and takes forever to cool. I even added insulation to my garage door.

At this point beyond a 3' fan I've given up on trying to make it cool in the summer. Hopefully I'll only have 1 more summer to go before I add on a new room dedicated to workouts.
aggiespartan
AG
javajaws said:

aggiespartan said:

She likes the smaller grip...and it was a blem (cheap!). It may or may not stay around the garage.

I will say it's nice to have an extra bar though for outside the rack work when your other bar is inside the rack.

FyI...if you can afford it the American Barbell mammoth bar is currently on sale.
I'm eyeing the Rogue Ohio bar. It has a smaller grip and I've used it at my gym, so I'm used to it. I don't really mind moving the bar in and out of a cage. More lifting means more muscles.
Ragoo
AG
I think I decided I want a peloton thread. My wife might want the bike. I already indoor ride on a trainer.

The only space we have for the tread would be the garage.

Any issue with dust?
bam02
AG
Vernada's sandbag posts from last year inspired me to invest in 3 Rep Fitness sandbags. They're awesome! Also have a 45# kettlebell, gymnastic tings, and a plyo box I made. I have two Tractor Supply horse stall mats that are great.

My wife also borrowed a barbell and some bumper plates from her CF box before they shut down last week.

I wish I had a power rack and more plates but we can certainly make do!
AggieGunslinger
AG
We have had the Fringe Sports women's bar for two years. The smaller grip definitely makes certain lifts easier for my wife, i.e. deadlift, bent over rows, RDLs etc.

It is also nice to not have to spend time moving plates on and off the bar when we work out together.

aggiespartan
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

We have had the Fringe Sports women's bar for two years. The smaller grip definitely makes certain lifts easier for my wife, i.e. deadlift, bent over rows, RDLs etc.

It is also nice to not have to spend time moving plates on and off the bar when we work out together.

Every time someone says "women's bar" I think of a lighter bar. Is the bar lighter, or are you just talking about a bar with a 28.5mm grip?
The Pilot
AG
Don't have the tread, but have the bike. We haven't had any issues with dust. We kept our bike in the garage last summer, we just drape an old bed sheet over it when not in use. We move it inside during the winter just because it's too cold here in CO.

If you do decide to buy one, here's my referral code -> MNMAXY

It will get you and I both $100 in accessories.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The grip is 25mm and it weighs 35lbs, so both.

I thought a standard bar is 28mm?
aggiespartan
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

The grip is 25mm and it weighs 35lbs, so both.

I thought a standard bar is 28mm?
We have some in my gym that are 28.5mm and some that are larger. I prefer the ones that are 28.5 but I can use whatever is available. I don't think I lift any heavier or lighter with either. I don't think we have any 35lb bars.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Interesting, after looking around I didn't realize there were so many bar diameter options.
culdeus
AG
In a drunken corona night I got a portable A/C for my garage, figuring I'm here for the long haul. It arrives today.

Pretty sure as soon as I get this installed a cure will be found and all the gyms will be open again, you are all welcome.

Dropped about $600 bucks since start of this virus on home gym stuff. The one mistake I made early on was not getting a power rack, thinking I would be better off just doing that type of stuff at a real gym.
javajaws
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Interesting, after looking around I didn't realize there were so many bar diameter options.
Powerlifting bars generally are thicker - for less whip. Think 28.5, 29, 29.5 mm, etc. But it's not always size that determines whipiness - also metal composition.

Olympic lifting bars are generally thinner - for more whip. I believe 28mm is a regulated standard for competition?

Women's bars are thinner still - for both weight and grip size reasons. 25mm usually
javajaws
AG
culdeus said:

In a drunken corona night I got a portable A/C for my garage, figuring I'm here for the long haul. It arrives today.

Pretty sure as soon as I get this installed a cure will be found and all the gyms will be open again, you are all welcome.

Dropped about $600 bucks since start of this virus on home gym stuff. The one mistake I made early on was not getting a power rack, thinking I would be better off just doing that type of stuff at a real gym.
I find that the few power racks in my gym were always occupied...and that its therefore better to do those exercises needing one at home. Then go to the gym for the full sets of dumbbells, lat pulldowns, cable crossover, etc.

BTW, my Ironmasters came in Monday - love 'em! My new incline/decline bench comes today...thinking incline dumbbell press will be first up to play with both at once.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Bought all the weights and benches for $150 on Craigslist. About 500 pounds of Olympic weights and 300 pounds of dumbells.

Mats are $36 per piece at tractor supply and I have four for an area of 8' x 12'

Ag92NGranbury
AG
we are about to put in a home gym... i'd be curious to see pics of what others have done for ideas
Potcake
AG
It gets kind of cramped but works for us.

AggieGunslinger
AG
I have the Fringe wall mounted folding rack, it's nice when I need more room in my shop, but if I had to do it over again I would get the PRX rig. After that just bars, bumpers and adjustable dumbbells. Also have bands/tubes and a TRX rig.
suburban cowboy
AG
Need more pictures in here
98Ag99Grad
AG
suburban cowboy said:

Need more pictures in here
Agree! This whole virus thing has me looking to never return to the gym again and would love to see more home set-ups.
Hoosegow
I'd post my gym but I'm old and dont know how.
Class of '94
Ragoo
AG
I only have a road bike and trainer set up in my closet.

Use gym in the company building if I want to lift.
cjo03
AG
javajaws
AG
What the heck is up with the door being below floor level? Is that an attic?
cjo03
AG
javajaws said:

What the heck is up with the door being below floor level? Is that an attic?

I couldn't dunk on the 8 foot goal so I raised the floor.
cjo03
AG
Live in OR on side of a hill. Finished out a daylight basement. Earth/foundation of house prevented me from starting floor at bottom of door and I didn't want a step across the length of the room.
ptothemo
AG
Also gives the effect of the raised basketball courts that you see in the Final Four when they play in the big football stadiums. It's like the big time every day.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
is that a gymastics pit?
cjo03
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

is that a gymastics pit?

And floor.

Originally wanted to put turf down there but all 3 kiddos were enjoying gymnastics when I was building it out... found a local studio replacing their foam and bought a few rolls.

Snagged 1,000 foam blocks on eBay that came vacuum packed in a box. Mrs CJO didn't know until she cut it open and was like WHAT THE HELL.

aggiespartan
AG
Any smaller, but great brands out there for lifting equipment? Starting to put together a list now but everything is out of stock with the big guys. Looking for plates and some more rack options.
Hoosegow
Texas Strength Systems
Class of '94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.