Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

My Home Gym

20,038 Views | 192 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Disco Stu
ttha_aggie_09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Broncos said:

The gyms will be open again by the time any of my back ordered stuff comes in.
Serious question: when does everyone think gyms will reopen?

I am under the impression it will be at least a month or two after the shelter in place is lifted, if not longer. I think there is too much liability in immediately reopening. That's why I am really leaning towards beefing up my home garage for awhile.

Am I insane?
Hoosegow
I have looked for the link I saw earlier today about when the peak is going to hit Texas. It is predicted around the first week of May. 5weeks leading up to the peak, 5 weeks after. I'm going to predict in time for the July 4th holiday.
Class of '94
bam02
AG
This sounds reasonable. Crazy as it seems.
Broncos
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Broncos said:

The gyms will be open again by the time any of my back ordered stuff comes in.
Serious question: when does everyone think gyms will reopen?

I am under the impression it will be at least a month or two after the shelter in place is lifted, if not longer. I think there is too much liability in immediately reopening. That's why I am really leaning towards beefing up my home garage for awhile.

Am I insane?

No, you're not. I'm preparing for the worst as well. I have a few things ordered that aren't estimated to arrive until May. As much as I hate waiting on backordered stuff is rather at least know it's coming when we find out gyms won't open until July/August.

Who really knows at this point.
mrmill3218
AG
Yeah I would think July or August. I may never go back to the gym, however. I'll save money and acquire things for the home gym.
Brewsky09
AG
My garage is going to be pretty warm in July/August... Any recommendations for a good fan/spot cooler for the garage?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Heads up guys, bolt fitness is live doing online sales with pickup only. Get in quick.
Hoosegow
I have a squirrel type fan I bought from Lowes that I really like. It is a floor dryer fan. It puts out a ton of air.
Class of '94
aggiespartan
AG
Was just able to grab some steel plates from Rogue. Don't know how long they will last, so if you need some, look fast.
javajaws
AG
I have one of those large big orange fans from Home Depot...plan to make a ceiling mount for it soon. But really, even then...my garage is a no go zone during July/August except for first thing in the morning.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Garage workouts in the Texas summer builds character. Just make sure you're properly hydrated!
Hoosegow
I grew up in the Valley. My high school gym weight room didn't have AC. I trained in a gym, with gear, for a year without AC. It sucks. You just have to have the discipline
Class of '94
aggiespartan
AG
My regular gym now doesn't have AC. Just a bunch of big fans in a commercial garage.
culdeus
AG
Bought a 12k btu AC unit. For garage gym. Figure in it for the long haul. Got about a grand sunk into it now.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Guys using the horse mats,

Does it matter what thickness mat? They have a 1/2" and 3/4" option. I'm sure the 1/2" is sufficient but want to make sure. Stock is low in my area of both.
culdeus
AG
https://imgur.com/a/E1CVaNq

Used 5 thick horse mats as base to start.
  • Got some of the barbie bars and weights off craigslist for cheap and some random dbs also basically stolen (probably were)
  • Added a bench and adjustable weights
  • TV + roku
  • Pull up bar added to ceiling.
  • Got a step up plyo bench
  • Safety bar catches for barbell work.
  • Got some 60s, now wish for 70s
  • Got the cable machine recently, big upgrade
  • Got accessories for cable machine
  • Added barre studio for wife
  • Got A/C unit for garage (not pictured as it's not hooked up yet)
  • Gladiator wallmounts came with house, repurposed for all the cable stuff etc.
  • loaned out my bike trainer to my BIL which I regret somewhat now

I need more barbie weights to do things like deadlifts and hip thrusts, but whatever. I can get to 225 with what I have. Never planned on this being anything but a place to do an emergency workout.
culdeus
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Guys using the horse mats,

Does it matter what thickness mat? They have a 1/2" and 3/4" option. I'm sure the 1/2" is sufficient but want to make sure. Stock is low in my area of both.
The 1/2 are slicker IIRC. Double check that as it's been a few years and they change that up from time to time.

I also remember them being roughly the same price so I went with thicker, for the reason that they wouldn't slide around as easily.
ptothemo
AG
What are you referencing when you say barbie bars and weights? I googled the term and am not sure that what I am getting from google is the same as what you mean.
RGRAg1/75
AG
3/4. I do a lot of overhead / oly lifts and feel a lot better about dropping weights on the thicker mats. Only $45ish, so not that much more than 1/2.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks! It's not the cost it's the availability that's an issue. The 3/4" is about 40 miles away but I could use the drive tomorrow or this afternoon.
aggiespartan
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Thanks! It's not the cost it's the availability that's an issue. The 3/4" is about 40 miles away but I could use the drive tomorrow or this afternoon.
I made a similar drive to get out to the Tractor Supply with them in stock. Traffic was a lot better than usual, and it was nice to get out for a bit. We had to roll them to fit in my Jeep Cherokee.
culdeus
AG
ptothemo said:

What are you referencing when you say barbie bars and weights? I googled the term and am not sure that what I am getting from google is the same as what you mean.
The smaller diameter bars. They weigh 22.5 pounds rather than 45.

I only really got them because they were so cheap. If I knew that we'd be under a lockdown like this ages ago I would have gotten a 45# bar.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
They just popped up in stock in Rosenberg and I grabbed two. Quick 20 min drive.

Thanks again for all of the advice and pictures here! Hopefully I'll have pictures tomorrow of my setup.
SACR
AG
Now we know why Home Depot/Lowes are so busy.

Gym Bros adjusting to the lockdown.

Workout hat and sunglasses required
03_Aggie
I have an older 45lb bar if someone wants it. It isn't pretty but will work in a pinch. South of Houston:

CoolaidWade
AG
Weights are ridiculously hard to get right now. My wife and I just now scrounged enough plates and two bars to finally get some workouts in. And they are the standard 1 inch bars and plates. Also have four dumbell bars so we can add plates to make dumbells. I have enough plates to go from 10 to 85 in five lb increments.

When this thing blows over, and everyone starts selling all the equipment they stress bought for next to nothing.... I'm buying it all and having the best garage gym ever.
aggiespartan
AG
We got half of our power rack yesterday and the other box should be here Monday. Still waiting for our Texas power bar to ship, but at least it should only take a day to get here once it does. All of our plates (bumpers and steel) are sitting at rogue waiting to get picked up by UPS. They've already been processed, picked, packed, and quality checked and labeled. We did get one set of 45lb bumpers from Fringe. The bench we ordered is backordered until April 20. I am really excited about our bar.
AggieOO
On my way to grab our horse mats. Driving a ways, but the closest tractor supply places didn't have them. Not complaining, it's getting me out of the house for a bit.
Pahdz
Sidebar discussion:

How many people figure out they LOVE their home gym and cancel memberships? Could gym chains take an additional hit (other than already being closed) by people not coming back after this is all over?
98Ag99Grad
AG
I fully intend to never go back after this.
AggieOO
There will be plenty of people who don't go back, but there will be more who do. Group glasses, swimming pools, basketball, racquetball, CrossFit, etc.
aggiespartan
AG
I think a lot of people will go back to my gym for the training. The owner trains a lot of high school and college athletes. There are also a lot of people that just can't do it on their own. I'm sure there are a lot of people still doing nothing right now, and they will need to lose the weight they gain during the shelter in place.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Oh I agree. I had been kicking this idea around though and recent events were the push I needed.
AggieOO
For us, it was just convenient timing. We quit our gym when we moved and never joined a new one since we have a toddler. We got a peloton, and already had some weights. Just getting organized, and we have plenty of time to do that right now.
RGRAg1/75
AG
FYI - College Station Tractor Supply has plenty of 4x6x3/4 horse stall mats. $46.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.