Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Health & Fitness Documentaries/Series

4,963 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, with gyms closed, restaurants closed, working from home, etc., I figured now would be a good time to get recommendations for good H&F documentaries and/or series on the various streaming platforms.

We're pretty new to the streaming game so not a whole lot of recommendations:

• The Barkley Marathons (Netflix?) - Been a while since I watched this, but really liked it, may rewatch
  • Iron Cowboy (Netflix) - Also been awhile, overall I liked it, hard not to be annoyed by the lack of preparation in the actual fundraising portion of it, though
  • Heart: Flatline to Finishline (Amazon Prime) - Wife and I both liked, room may get a little dusty....
  • Icarus (Netflix) - I really liked the initial storyline behind this, then it went down the rabbit hole of the Russian doping, still good but I did think it dragged on a little
  • Brittany Runs A Marathon (Amazon) - different type of movie, not a documentary. But I enjoyed it as a fat ass turn runner myself and was cool to watch being able to personally relate to a lot of those "groundbreaking" moments she went through

AggieOO
htxag09 said:

• The Barkley Marathons (Netflix?) - Been a while since I watched this, but really liked it, may rewatch

If you liked that one, check out Where Dreams Go to Die.

I'll try to post a more extensive list later. I tend to watch a lot of these things.

or you could just go here: https://trailrunningnordwand.blogspot.com/p/the-trail-running-film-archive.html That should kill 5 or 10 minutes

P.U.T.U
AG
Free Solo and the Dawn Wall, Free Solo will make your palm sweat just watching it. 3000+ feet climb with no rope, nope nope nope
AggieOO
P.U.T.U said:

Free Solo and the Dawn Wall, Free Solo will make your palm sweat just watching it. 3000+ feet climb with no rope, nope nope nope
don't forget Meru!
bert harbinson
AG
AggieOO said:

htxag09 said:

If you liked that one, check out Where Dreams Go to Die.

I'll 2nd this one. Fantastic!
P.U.T.U
AG
AggieOO said:

P.U.T.U said:

don't forget Meru!
Never even heard about that one, will have to check it out.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster is a good one as well. I think it is on Netflix but it has been a while since I saw it.
wangus12
AG
P.U.T.U said:

AggieOO said:

P.U.T.U said:

don't forget Meru!
Never even heard about that one, will have to check it out.

Bigger, Stronger, Faster is a good one as well. I think it is on Netflix but it has been a while since I saw it.
Meru is fantastic
wcb
AG
There's a good one out there on Ouray as well.
Hoosegow
Westside vs. the World

It is a glimpse into the madness that is powerlifting.
Class of '94
Ragoo
AG
Salomon TV on YouTube.

Ragoo
AG
Ragoo
AG
https://m.youtube.com/user/officialsalomon/videos
Ragoo
AG
You could get lost watching 1000 15 minute videos.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Free Solo and Meru were really good. My heart rate got elevated just watching Free Solo and watching the guy in Meru have a stroke in the portaledge, spend the day blabbering jibberish then get up the next morning and climb was crazy.

I don't climb, have no desire to but really enjoy the climbing/mountaineering movies.

I though Generation Iron and the one about Eddie Hall's run at the WSM title were good ones.
The Pilot
AG
We just started watching pandemic on Netflix...kinda crazy.
hph6203
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Free Solo and Meru were really good. My heart rate got elevated just watching Free Solo and watching the guy in Meru have a stroke in the portaledge, spend the day blabbering jibberish then get up the next morning and climb was crazy.

I don't climb, have no desire to but really enjoy the climbing/mountaineering movies.

I though Generation Iron and the one about Eddie Hall's run at the WSM title were good ones.
Dawn Wall is the best of the bunch for the climbing docs.
NoahAg
AggieOO said:

P.U.T.U said:

don't forget Meru!
That might be my favorite of those 3. All 3 are must watch and I'm not a climber.
Sooner Born
I spend a lot of time on the treadmill in the Minnesota winters. Here are some of my running focused favorites that help me pass the time:

Life in a Day

This is one of my favorite running film. Billy Yang (director/camera guy) is really good at what he does and, in my opinion, this is his Piece de Resistance. It's about the 2016 Western States 100 focusing on the Women's race. The cinematography is incredible.

Found on 49

A documentary following Jim Walmsley through the 2016 Western States 100.

Born to Run: The Kenyan Secrets

A documentary on the Kenyan way of life for runners. It's a little bit slow but if you're on a treadmill, you're not going anywhere and it's really fascinating to hear some of their philosophies on training and see how they live/where they run.

Run for Your Life

Documentary on Fred Lebow, the found of the NYRR and NYC Marathon.

And if you're really desperate, some of my favorite races:
2012 Olympics Men's 10k

2016 Olympics Men's Marathon

AggieOO
Ran across this. The full festival is available for streaming, about 2 hours.

https://winterwildlands.org/stream-the-2019-20-backcountry-film-festival/?fbclid=IwAR1Z62AySxtKgsZw0Mj1V80YCnFeyyp9zMnFKKiQI7qdwEE6mt7AofYj_-k
coop-aero-06
AG
The documentary about the 2010 Western States 100 called "Unbreakable" has been available on DVD for purchase for a long time. But this week, the creator released it on youtube. It's pretty similar to all of the recent WS youtube videos, except that it's like going back in a time machine a little bit. Kilian is 22 years old, Anton is 27 years old.

The following videos are specifically created to keep you distracted while on the treadmill

AggieOO
Unbreakable is great. I've had a digital copy of it for quite a while. Its great to fire up every now and then.
dave99ag
AG
Icarus | Netflix

Capitol Ag
AG
Pumping Iron-Many would argue this is what brought weight lifting to the general public and started the modern fitness boom that continues.

Generation Iron 1, 2 and 3

Unbroken: Calum Von Moger

Westside Vs The World.

Goldie Wilson
Sooner Born said:

I spend a lot of time on the treadmill in the Minnesota winters. Here are some of my running focused favorites that help me pass the time:

Life in a Day

This is one of my favorite running film. Billy Yang (director/camera guy) is really good at what he does and, in my opinion, this is his Piece de Resistance. It's about the 2016 Western States 100 focusing on the Women's race. The cinematography is incredible.

We watched Life in a Day last night and really enjoyed it. Agreed, the cinematography is outstanding, and really brings to life the terrain and ruggedness of the course.

For those that know more about this stuff, and just out of curiosity (and not bc I now think I could ever come close to completing that race), what's the entry program for the WS 100? Is it elite runners + lottery drawing?
AggieOO
There are 389 entrants allowed. Of that, around 100 are "automatic" entrants:
Quote:

Top 10 male finishers from the previous year' race.
Top 10 female finishers from the previous year's race.
Up to 24 slots are reserved for winners of the Golden Ticket Races.
Six slots are reserved for elite athletes through the Ultra-Trail World Tour.
Each running club that sponsors and staffs an aid station at Western States is allowed to designate one runner. Generally speaking, each is a volunteer who has worked that particular aid station for at least three prior years.
Certain sponsor agreements specify a designated runner for the sponsor.
Members of the Board of Trustees.
Pioneers: Gordy Ainsleigh, who ran solo in 1974 and Cowman A-Moo-Ha, who duplicated the feat in 1976.
Nine-time finishers going for their first attempt at a tenth finish, and 18-time and 19-time finishers going for their first attempts at 19th and 20th finishes.
Winners of the twice-annual Raffle Drawing. The drawings are held 18 and 12 months prior to the Run for which the winning entries apply.
The Greg Soderlund Silver Legend Entrant

The rest are put into the lottery. In order to be eligible for the lottery, you have to run a qualifying race, which is a hand select set of races from 100k to 100+ miles. Each year you are not selected (and requalify for the lottery) you get additional tickets. With the increasing popularity of the race, odds of getting in are not that great these days, even for those of us who have been trying for years.
Ragoo
AG
Ttt

Want to be able to find this thread in the future.
AggieOO
new one from Ginger Runner on the Wonderland FKT

farmersfight
AG
Inspired to ride on prime, it's about a bike race across America
farmersfight
AG
Made to be broken - it's a guy racing the Appalachian trail by his lonesome self

https://vimeo.com/194934473
Ragoo
AG
Who here is this????

Ragoo
AG
Watched this today while running on the treadmill

dlp3719
AG
How has Breaking2 not been mentioned?

Can be watched on Disney+
wcb
AG
dave99ag said:

Icarus | Netflix

Unreal story. When reality really is better than fiction.

Another good watch on Disney+ is Lost on Everest. Fairly slow moving but interesting story behind a group trying to validate who may have been the first to summit Everest.
AggieOO
Ragoo said:

Watched this today while running on the treadmill

Can't wait to watch this one.
Ragoo
AG
I immediately thought you would like it. Really well done.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.