Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ironman Texas Postponed

4,480 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

the burning question is, how aero is shiplap?
aero is everything, Shiplap is life.

No Fear
MajorPayne
AG
P.U.T.U
AG

A lot of people are going to be in for a letdown
Jim01
AG
MajorPayne
AG
Jim01
AG
Got it! Gracias!
Ragoo
AG
Chattanooga 70.3 moved to August 23

whoop91
AG
I bailed on IM Texas the last day to transfer and switched to IMLP. Not sure if that race will have to be postponed. If it isn't, my swim will suck but hopefully my bike and run will be good.
Jim01
AG
I'm itching for news on IMTX. For now I'm just assume the Waco date is correct.
wcb
AG
Considering signing up for Madison and then deferring to 2021 if it does wind up being Waco x2.

Gonna be interesting to see how soon we all start racing again.
htxag09
AG
I have hotels booked for Wisconsin and Waco.

FWIW, St. George had the option to do the new date, defer to 2021, defer to Wisconsin, or defer to one other race.
RustyBoltz
AG
I'm pretty certain at this point Waco will somehow host IMTX in Oct; that's the word around town. I just haven't pushed for specifics because I will likely defer my registration to 2021 Woodlands and consider only racing the half in Oct.
Jim01
AG
Official word on the website and in email (I haven't personally got the email yet):

Quote:

Dear IRONMAN Texas Athlete,
We appreciate your continued patience and understanding while we have been developing options for you during this very dynamic time. After assessing all event scenarios, we are pleased to share with you the new race date and location for the 2020 IRONMAN Texas triathlon which is now scheduled to take place on Saturday, October 17, 2020 in Waco, Texas as part of a festival weekend with the 2020 Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco triathlon on Sunday, October 18, 2020.

Registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Texas triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to this new date, but we have also provided six additional race options if you are unable to race on October 17, 2020 in Waco, Texas. All seven options are listed below.

[ol]
  • Remain in 2020 IRONMAN Texas (new location of Waco, Texas): October 17, 2020
  • Free transfer to 2020 IRONMAN Wisconsin: September 13, 2020
  • Free transfer to 2020 Select Blinds IRONMAN Maryland: September 19, 2020
  • Free Transfer to 2020 IRONMAN North American Championship St. George: September 19, 2020
  • Free transfer to 2020 Little Debbie IRONMAN Chattanooga presented by McKee, A Family Bakery: September 27, 2020
  • Free transfer to 2020 Visit Panama City Beach IRONMAN Florida; November 7, 2020
  • Free deferral to 2021 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas: April 24, 2021
  • [/ol]Immediately following this communication, you will receive an email from Active with a link to select your race option. If you would like to compete on Oct. 17, 2020, no action is required at this time. If you choose to not remain in the new race date and location, you will have until May 11 at 11:59 p.m. ET to complete your new race selection in the provided Active link.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered athletes are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have additional questions, please contact texas@ironman.com

Thank you for your commitment and we look forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience in the future.
    The IRONMAN Texas Team
    Jim01
    AG
    Just got my email.

I wonder how long until they release the course info for Waco. Rumor is that, at least for the run, it won't be just double the 70.3 course. Damn near everyone I've talked to that has done Waco 70.3 said they would NEVER do a full there if it meant double the 70.3 course.

Not sure what I'll do. I don't really want to wait until April 2021 to do my next IM. I live in Friendswood and my parents live in The Woodlands so IMTX has always been free room and board for me. If I'm going to have to pay for a hotel then I think I'd rather spend a couple hundred more for a flight to some place better like Chattanooga. Flights are cheap as hell right now.

Decisions, decisions.
    htxag09
    AG
    Jim01 said:

I wonder how long until they release the course info for Waco. Rumor is that, at least for the run, it won't be just double the 70.3 course. Damn near everyone I've talked to that has done Waco 70.3 said they would NEVER do a full there if it meant double the 70.3 course.

Agree 100%. I have hotels booked for Wisconsin and Waco. I would love to do Waco so my family could go and wouldn't require a flight. But I really want to see the course map.
    wcb
    AG
    More curious what they're going to do with the swim. For 1.2 it was point to point. For 2.4 that would be a looong trek up river. With any current at all a loop would be crushing. I'm somewhat prepared for a 139 mile race.

Currently considering Waco, Wisconsin and Florida.
    Jim01
    AG
    My current thinking right now:

- Waco - Maybe. Depends on the course details.

- Wisconsion - A hilly bike and that's my weakest discipline so doesn't immediately call my name. Might be cooler though.

- Maryland - No thanks. Brackish/saltwater swim. I've heard there can be jellyfish and be choppy. I HATE saltwater swims. Only done it once (Kemah) and I had to grab a kayak I got so nauseous. Even when just diving for sand dollars in Florida I get nauseous after 30 minutes or so.

- St. George - Same as Wisconsin. The bike hills would be my concern.

- Chattanooga - Down river swim, but 4 extra bike miles. Also can be a hot one.

- Florida - HELL no for the saltwater swim.

So leaning towards waiting to see what the Waco course looks like, then make a decision.
    wcb
    AG
    Jim01 said:

Rumor is that, at least for the run, it won't be just double the 70.3 course. Damn near everyone I've talked to that has done Waco 70.3 said they would NEVER do a full there if it meant double the 70.3 course.
    How about a marathon that completely bypasses Cameron park and all of those hills? NOW we're talking.

Silo District Marathon Run Course

https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2576887033
    Jim01
    AG
    They just posted an update on FB:

Quote:

We appreciate your patience as we work diligently with our various host city partners to finalize event details. While we understand that this is not ideal, please be assured that we are working hard to provide you with an opportunity to experience an exceptional event in the future.

We are pleased to confirm that the IRONMAN Texas bike course will be approximately two loops of the Bicycle World Texas IRONMAN 70.3 Waco bike course.

While the IRONMAN Texas run course has not been finalized, we can confirm it will not be four loops through Cameron Park.

Lastly, we are delighted to share with you The Woodlands to be the host city for the 2021 Memorial Hermann IRONMAN Texas.

We thank you for your commitment and further event details will be communicated as soon as possible.

AggieOO
    for those considering options, i highly recommend Wisconsin. The bike course is tough, but there are some amazing parts of that bike course, especially going through Verona. Its 6-8 people deep, screaming for you. On one of the big climbs, I had (likely drunk) college students running next to me cheering me on, similar to what you see at the TdF.

The run course is pretty flat, though there are a couple hills in the middle of the loop. And if i you are a college football fan, you can't beat getting to run around the field at Camp Randall.

I also had my best swim time on that swim course. The swim to bike transition is a little long, and you have to run up the parking garage spirals, but that didn't bother me.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus, Madison is a great place to hang out after the race and enjoy food and beers.
    Jim01
    AG
    Well Kona (October) and 70.3 Worlds (November) both just got delayed until next year. Does not bode well for IMTX Waco edition.

I saw my doctor last week and he is one of the main doctors for IMTX. When I mentioned Waco he gave me a look like "Yeah right". I asked him and he said he didn't think it would happen, "I would elect to defer to 2021 if I was you."

I elected to stick with Waco but am not getting my hopes up. Texas is so far at the forefront of reopening (which I'm not sure is wise), so maybe they will stick it out.

Either way I just hope they decide before I get 80% through training again.
    htxag09
    AG
    Jim01 said:

Well Kona (October) and 70.3 Worlds (November) both just got delayed until next year. Does not bode well for IMTX Waco edition.

I saw my doctor last week and he is one of the main doctors for IMTX. When I mentioned Waco he gave me a look like "Yeah right". I asked him and he said he didn't think it would happen, "I would elect to defer to 2021 if I was you."

I elected to stick with Waco but am not getting my hopes up. Texas is so far at the forefront of reopening (which I'm not sure is wise), so maybe they will stick it out.

Either way I just hope they decide before I get 80% through training again.

For most on here, what's the harm of registering for Waco? If it's deferred, my hotel is fully refundable. And that's all I have to book, no flights, etc. No harm in registering, if things clear up and the race goes on I'm in and am pumped. If it's cancelled and I'm deferred until next year I'd be in the same situation anyway.
    Jim01
    AG
    Oh I agree. That's why I went with Waco. Might as well sign up.

And honestly if I get 80% through training for a second time and it gets cancelled I would probably finish training and do an IM on my own.
    Refresh
    Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.