Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Ironman Texas Postponed

4,481 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jim01
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.ironman.com/updates

Quote:

We are committed to the safety and well-being of everyone in our race community. We have been following and will continue to follow the recommendations of public health agencies and local authorities. At this time, we can confirm that the 2020 IRONMAN Texas triathlon will not take place as planned on April 25, 2020. We are working diligently to secure venues and a new race date for the IRONMAN Texas triathlon. Stay tuned here for the latest information. We appreciate your patience in this very dynamic time.
BQ2001
AG
I don't get the canceling of these races 5-6 weeks out. The next few weeks while everyone is supposed to stay home I get, but seems like that decision could have waited a couple weeks.
AggieOO
I think the idea is that they are trying not to cancel at the last minute, leaving people scrambling to cancel accommodations and to minimize blowback. Would you rather know 6 weeks out or continue training and mentally preparing only to find out 2 weeks out that the race is postponed?
htxag09
AG
AggieOO said:

I think the idea is that they are trying not to cancel at the last minute, leaving people scrambling to cancel accommodations and to minimize blowback. Would you rather know 6 weeks out or continue training and mentally preparing only to find out 2 weeks out that the race is postponed?

Agreed. A lot of these athletes are traveling from around the country and overseas. Not as simple as me calling my free cancellation hotel. You also have athletes posting on their social media sites every 10 minutes for an update/status.

And I think this is coming from the localities, not necessarily Ironman. Montgomery county said no go, they had to comply.

I'm pretty gut punched. Knew it was coming, but still sucks. Having wine and dessert tonight and getting back on it. Already scouting new races, Wisconsin or Arizona. If they postpone IMTX to anytime before late October it'll be brutal. Even then, the training will suck.
htxag09
AG
Galveston now postponed as well
MajorPayne
AG
Sooner Born
AggieOO said:

This x 100. They cancelled the Boston Marathon today as well and I'm able to get all of my money back and shift my training to another race instead of continue to sink my time and money into something that is more than likely to get canceled, just later.
Ragoo
AG
Looks like Chattanooga 70.3 is still a go for now.
Jim01
AG
Bummer indeed. Rumor is they are aiming for the fall.

I agree it's necessary but man it's going to suck when April 25th rolls around and the world is fine and we could have been racing.

I had a great final ride before spring break. 80 miles in the trainer and a 15 min run. Then managed to snowboard all SB and not have an injury. Then learned of the postponement on the ride back to Texas. Frustrating indeed.

I will say what would have been the harm in waiting a couple more weeks. With all the social distancing that is happening now, two weeks from now I would think we'd have a much better look at exactly where things stand. Then they could have still postponed and it would have been 30 days ahead of the race. Seems like that would have been enough time to change plans. Maybe I would have done a couple wasted long rides but oh well.
AggieOO
If they had their permits pulled, they had no choice.
Jim01
AG
Then I guess my beef is with the Woodlands but still a small beef
htxag09
AG
Anyone registered for 70.3 Galveston? Heard it was rescheduled for November and they gave the option to defer to a couple other 70.3s or 2021. Anyone confirm?
Ragoo
AG
They did reschedule to 11/22
MajorPayne
AG
Ragoo
AG
Correct
Ragoo
AG
https://www.ironman.com/updates
RustyBoltz
AG
I am disappointed but also slightly relieved. I was cramming in training after a rough December but following the unexpected passing of my father at the end of Jan, I'd be lying if I said it hadn't derailed my efforts.
So at this point I'm taking a one week break before restarting my 24 wk training program and planning to cycle an extra build phase or two depending on the announced date.
MajorPayne
AG
RustyBoltz
AG
Thank you.

I use TrainingPeaks. I have Joe Friel's long course plan, though I have use Phil Mosley's plan before. I haven't tried alternatives. I've been happy with TP's integration with Zwift and Garmin.
Ragoo
AG
I have been using TriDot.com

Aggie CEO
MajorPayne
AG
Jim01
AG
Anybody have a favorite bike program for building bike strength/power? I used SufferFest once and enjoyed it. Well, I don't know that enjoy is the word, but you know what I mean.

I currently have a free 30 days of Rouvy from when I bought my new trainer, but haven't tried it yet.

I already used the free 14 days of Zwift and liked it alright, but not sure it has programs build into it.
Ragoo
AG
Jim01 said:

Anybody have a favorite bike program for building bike strength/power? I used SufferFest once and enjoyed it. Well, I don't know that enjoy is the word, but you know what I mean.

I currently have a free 30 days of Rouvy from when I bought my new trainer, but haven't tried it yet.

I already used the free 14 days of Zwift and liked it alright, but not sure it has programs build into it.
zwift has workout programs

With TriDot I download their workout into Zwift file on my hard drive. I then run the training program through Zwift and it automatically does my power, cadence, etc. so Zwift is what is shown on my screen but the TriDot training is what is working my smart trainer.
MajorPayne
AG
wcb
AG
MajorPayne said:

I tried Zwift last year, but wasn't a huge fan. I switched to Trainer Road in September and brought my FTP from 210 to 257 by late February.
You mind sharing what plan you were using? Congrats on the gains. I used the old Sufferfest Build (no longer available on TR) to go from ~170 to ~250 over a few years. Looking for a new plan to boost the power again.
MajorPayne
AG
wcb
AG
MajorPayne said:

So the FTP increase I mentioned before was from the base/build blocks.
Perfect. That's what I was looking for. Will probably kick off a build block 3/30. Good time to build some power.
htxag09
AG
Rumor has it that IMTX will be combined with Waco 70.3. Nothing official from Ironman but the woodlands mayor said it during a speech today. So it seems that it's for sure not postponed and occurring in the woodlands.
MajorPayne
AG
htxag09
AG
Didn't listen to it. But it seems he implied that Ironman Texas would not be in the woodlands, that event was essentially cancelled. Ironman Texas would be in Waco the same weekend as the 70.3. So essentially it seems they'll do both races the same day in Waco.
htxag09
AG
https://www.facebook.com/WoodlandsOnline/videos/528870874693232/?vh=e&d=n

Around the 10:30 mark
MajorPayne
AG
RustyBoltz
AG
I live in Waco and trained the course but haven't raced it. I'm not interested in doing a Full here. IMO, Waco can't put on a good Full yet - IM knows this too or they wouldn't have renewed the contract with the Woodlands for 5 more years. They don't have the infrastructure, the roads, the community and now that the city has crippled all the struggling small businesses, there won't be any of cute shops or eateries left come Oct.
Jim01
AG
AggieOO
the burning question is, how aero is shiplap?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.