Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Weight loss pills

1,742 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Smudge
chaca5151
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for those of you who have used weight loss pills and if you've had success with them?

I used advocare back about 4 years ago and I had huge success with losing 80lbs, it help me kick start my journey but also help maintain it.

Now after being off of it for 4 years I've gain 60lbs back... while I had a lot of good but stressful life changes didn't help. I've always been a big guy going from 290lbs to 205lbs at the peak of my fitness experience and now back to 270lbs.

Any thoughts?
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
bigtruckguy3500
Look at the ingredients of whatever you're interested in using. They typically work by a few different mechanisms:
1 diuretics help you lose water weight
2 stimulants typically blunt and suppress your appetite
3 metabolic boosters/thermogenics up your metabolism
4 nutrient blockers prevent your body from absorbing some of the calories you eat (can get very messy)

I tried an EC stack once a long time ago, didn't find it particularly great, but it is probably one of the few OTC type options that work. Phentermine, or other
Amphetamine based simulants also work pretty well, as kids are usually given appetite stimulants while on them.

Overall though, would recommend doing your best without them.
Tailgate88
AG
I try to avoid taking any pills that I don't really have to, as I'm paranoid about unintended consequences. Have you considered Intermittent Fasting? There are quite a few of us on this board that are fans. :-)

Either way, good for you for deciding to make a positive change.
Smudge
AG
Im a runner that loves to eat. When I'm in full training mode I am my most healthy at around 160. I do mountain ultra's and that's the best weight for me as far as strength to speed ratio goes. Lower than that and I can't climb well, heavier than 165 and I'm not quite as fast as I'd like. When I'm not training, I still eat like I am and can 'balloon' up to 175/180 (I'm 180 right now.. lack of training and injured, but still enjoying my food!). I have about 3 weeks until I can start running/hiking again, and have started my calorie restriction and will lose about 15-17lbs in three weeks. I've done this a handful of other times and it works waaaay better than any pill or fad diet that I've tried. I'll stick to about 500 calories a day, down from 2500 to 3000 (or more). Once the weight is off, I start back with mild activity (3-5 miles per day and strength training) and increase my calories to 1000/day the first week, 1500/d, the next, then 2000/d, the third week. Once my mileage gets back up I'll eat healthy but eat what I feel I need.

My point is, don't rely on a diet or pill. It takes some practice, but if you want to lose the weight, it just takes a plan and the discipline to stick to it. I've found calorie restriction to be the best bet, especially if you aren't going to be increasing your activity level. As a society we over eat. Im guilty of this as much as anyone. I love food and can freakin put it away. And it's super easy to fall prey to over eating with the serving norms and seeing what 'normal' friends and family eat. No, 500 calories per day is not healthy or sustainable for the long term, but that is what fat is stored for. It's stored to be used as fuel when food sources aren't abundant or available. So our bodies are made to operate with restricted caloric intake for short times, even seasonally. If you do go this route, know that the first 2-4 days are rough, but you settle into it and it's not very hard after that, except for just wanting to have a cookie or a taco or something. I stick to lean beef and veggies and that's it. I'll make a sandwich if I'm feeling bad those first few days, but just use one piece of bread and load it up with chicken sandwich meat. It is low carb, but that is just so my body burns the stored fat instead of the glycogen from carbs... I just lose faster that way.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I just really think these short stints of calorie restriction work beautifully and can be super effective and safe. And yes, I could avoid having to do this every few years if I was more consistent in my racing/training schedule, or if I just didn't eat like an a$$&ole when I was injured. Put, life happens, I'm not perfect, and it's not a terrible thing to do occasionally.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.