Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Tokyo Marathon General Participation canceled

1,221 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by P.U.T.U
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coronavirus strikes again. They've canceled the race for everyone other than the Elites and wheelchair elites. Sucks for everyone who already booked hotels or finally got lucky to get through the drawing this year.

Also makes you really start to wonder about the Olympics in August. Especially since I think they said there isn't a backup plan for them.
culdeus
AG
They can just have the events with no fans. That's the backup.
mrsbeer05
AG
Best friend's sister was running as her last star for world majors. I hope they give special preference for these runners next year
AggieOO
How many athletes will elect not to go, if the virus is still rampant.
Post removed:
by user
The Pilot
AG
To the registered runners of the Tokyo Marathon 2020

Quote:

1. Available Option
We will allow all registered runners to defer their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021.
Runners who have deferred their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021 are required to pay the entry fees for the 2021 event.
ptothemo
AG
wangus12 said:

Also makes you really start to wonder about the Olympics in August. Especially since I think they said there isn't a backup plan for them.
Pure speculation and relatively uneducated on my part, but I would think that holding them here in the States would be a backup plan. We seem to be about the only place that has the number of stadiums and travel infrastructure to mostly handle something like this on such short notice. I know that it always gets floated around whenever a World Cup is coming along and looks like it might not make it due to stadium construction, travel infrastructure, etc. concerns.

Whether it's a good idea to hold them here when they have been canceled in another country due to wide scale virus is a whole other topic. I am just thinking from a purely logistical standpoint.
htxag09
AG
The Pilot said:

To the registered runners of the Tokyo Marathon 2020

Quote:

1. Available Option
We will allow all registered runners to defer their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021.
Runners who have deferred their entry to the Tokyo Marathon 2021 are required to pay the entry fees for the 2021 event.

Does this mean they aren't getting a refund for 2020? I get the city has a lot of sunk costs. But they cancel a world major for what seems like an overreaction to a virus outbreak in another country, then don't refund anyone's money????

Or I've been missing out on the news and things have changed greatly from what I last saw.
aggiespartan
AG
I don't know what the situation is like in Japan, but I have a friend that scheduled a vacation to Japan and had to cancel. Her flight was going through China and was cancelled, so there wasn't much she could do with the exception of finding a flight that went through somewhere else. With that happening a few weeks before the trip, any other flights she could get were outrageous.
zachsccr
AG
"Abiding to the Entry Regulation, the entry fee and the donations received for the Tokyo Marathon 2020 will not be refunded."

Having worked for a race, I get that the money may not be there to actually refund at this point. BUT, I'd hope they discount or somehow help out next year.

It'll also be interesting to see what the field size is like next year. Do they expand to account for deferrals and new registrations or just make it harder for others to get in?
Motot
AG
If someone has the money to fly across the world to run a marathon, I would bet that the loss of the un-refunded $165 isn't a huge deal. Airfare and hotels though would hurt if you were bound to those.
Swarely
Damn, I was hoping to get in next year, l but looks like I'll be screwed with all the people reregistering.
P.U.T.U
AG
Most contracts have Force Majeure built into them where things like act of nature allow them to cancel without having to refund anyone.
htxag09
AG
I get per the contract they don't have to refund them. And I don't expect them to, I was thinking more of a discount on next year as referenced above by zach

I still hold my opinion that it's a little crappy to cancel with no kind of financial reimbursement or discount for future registration, a few weeks in advance, in what appears to be an overreaction to a virus in another country. Not saying they don't have the right to, just that its crappy
P.U.T.U
AG
The olympics are a bigger concern at this time, we are already having stuff from China being moved out 30 weeks due to the virus. Plus there are going to be companies that are not going to want to show up if the virus is still lingering around.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.