Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Two Weeks to Cowtown

3,043 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phat32
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This year, no other big races - no HMs in 9 months, last 15K was in the summer, last 5K in December.

Hard training in a full 12 week ramp up. Last long run is tomorrow, then I start backing off to be ready March 1.

This is gonna be a good one. My training paces have been WAY faster than previous years. Probably helps that I'll be running this Cowtown 20 lbs lighter than last year.
91_Aggie
AG
Good luck!
wangus12
AG
Woo race week
wcb
AG
I originally agreed to be part of a marathon relay. Then I looked at my IMTX training plan and saw that I had a 70 bike +15 run brick workout the day before.

Had to kindly reconsider.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Love this race. Did a training 10k at a PR pace without trying on Saturday. Feeling a PR this year at Cowtown (half).
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
wangus12
AG
Ran the Austin full last weekend so probably gonna see how the legs feel for the half on Sunday. Probably gonna be pretty relaxed, but I may be pumped after the Olympic trials on Sat. and go hard.
wangus12
AG
Looks like it is gonna be windy as hell this weekend.
wangus12
AG
Also did anyone notice they've thrown a little out-n-back of Lancaster Ave right at mile 11 for the half.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wangus12 said:

Also did anyone notice they've thrown a little out-n-back of Lancaster Ave right at mile 11 for the half.
The wind is gonna suck.

Not sure what you are talking about with Lancaster. Course looks the same.
wangus12
AG
This is definitely a new thing. Can't be more than .2 miles long total.

Geriatric Punk
AG
wangus12 said:

This is definitely a new thing. Can't be more than .2 miles long total.

That's weird. I wonder if it is a distance compliance deal due to construction.
wangus12
AG
Has to be. I haven't over to FW recently so not sure what all the construction looks like currently. Looks like they've also altered the end a bit. Half turns left onto Trail Dr. off of Lancaster to wrap around Will Rogers rather than doing it a block later at University.
Geriatric Punk
AG
wangus12 said:

Has to be. I haven't over to FW recently so not sure what all the construction looks like currently. Looks like they've also altered the end a bit. Half turns left onto Trail Dr. off of Lancaster to wrap around Will Rogers rather than doing it a block later at University.
As long as there is still fireball on the bridge at mile 9.5, I don't care.
wbt5845
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

wangus12 said:

As long as there is still fireball on the bridge at mile 9.5, I don't care.
No **** I love that man.
wbt5845
AG
Here is the map on the website - it doesn't show that little loop.

EDIT: OK - I found it on the interactive map on the app. Yeah - construction on Main Street had you run over one block to Commerce and come back for the last few years. The run this year is straight down Main Street, so that little loop must be making up that difference.
O.G.
Getting excited here. Didn't think I would be after last year, but I'm looking forward to this one.
ENG
AG
See ya out there for the half.
ptothemo
AG
Y'all have a good race!
wbt5845
AG
WOOHOO!

~~~ this wind is gonna suck ~~~
wbt5845
AG
2:30 HM and DAMNED proud of it.

That. Wind.
boboguitar
AG
wbt5845 said:

2:30 HM and DAMNED proud of it.

That. Wind.

I tried to stay behind big groups but yeah, that wind was less than ideal.
wangus12
AG
We kept switching off in the 1:40 pace group with who was breaking wind. It killed me, especially the 8/9 mile stretch. Ended up dropping back and couldn't keep the pace. 1:42 for me, which I'm totally happy with after the Austin full 2 weeks ago.

Also that little out n back at 11 totally killed momentum going up to Summit Ave.
boboguitar
AG
wangus12 said:

We kept switching off in the 1:40 pace group with who was breaking wind. It killed me, especially the 8/9 mile stretch. Ended up dropping back and couldn't keep the pace. 1:42 for me, which I'm totally happy with after the Austin full 2 weeks ago.

Also that little out n back at 11 totally killed momentum going up to Summit Ave.

Agreed, that was a strange addition. There was no other way to extend the race a bit elsewhere and they needed to add that?
wbt5845
AG
Yeah, I appreciate the change at the end - one less hill. But that kind sucks. But it has to only be the half, so it has to be somewhere after the split - and there just aren't a lot of choices.
Phat32
AG
The full sucked big time.

Still a top notch race put on by FW and lots of fun (before miles 18-26.2).
ENG
AG
Some piriformis issues that hit me around mile 8. Limped in at 1:55 for the half. I'm good with that. I was within 10 seconds of last year but paced faster.

I know the course is typically more than 13.1 but did anyone else think it was a lot more? My garmin has me at 13.34

Always a fun one
wangus12
AG
I had 13.26 and I thought I hit the tangents pretty well for the most part.
DaveHimself
AG
That wind was bad coming out of the Stockyards, and brutal after the bridge. Was on PR pace until the split, but started loosing steam right around the split. Was definitely happy with a 1:46 considering the conditions, but can't help but think how close I was to my goal until the headwinds.

I showed 13.23 miles on my watch, and time was only 1 second off my chip time. I remember crossing the 12 mile marker and my watch showed 12.1.
Rosie11
AG
My Garmin had 13.17 but the mile markers were always .1mile off throughout the race.
Who's idea was it to plan a race that goes up hill due south into a prevailing south wind for the 3rd qtr of the race?! And why is the beer garden never open. I'm not waiting around an hour and a half to get a beer.
But seriously I love the cowtown and will run it every year (3rd year for me). Great race. Great crowds, the only dead spot with no cheering was on commerce..
Maybe eventually I'll learn to hold back on the front half and not blow up by mile 10.
Smudge
AG
Great work all!
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
wbt5845
AG
ENG said:

Some piriformis issues that hit me around mile 8. Limped in at 1:55 for the half. I'm good with that. I was within 10 seconds of last year but paced faster.

I know the course is typically more than 13.1 but did anyone else think it was a lot more? My garmin has me at 13.34

Always a fun one

13.19 and I really strove to hit tangencies right.
O.G.
Rosie11 said:

My Garmin had 13.17 but the mile markers were always .1mile off throughout the race.
Who's idea was it to plan a race that goes up hill due south into a prevailing south wind for the 3rd qtr of the race?! And why is the beer garden never open. I'm not waiting around an hour and a half to get a beer.
But seriously I love the cowtown and will run it every year (3rd year for me). Great race. Great crowds, the only dead spot with no cheering was on commerce..
Maybe eventually I'll learn to hold back on the front half and not blow up by mile 10.

THANK YOU!! The mile markers were definitely off but that happens in a lot of races. I could deal with the wind and the hills, I knew that going in, thats just racing.

However, the unforgivable sin that I can not abide, and may never do the race again over this, is the arbitray/petty old dude that was somehow in charge of the beer. I got my medal/finishers shirt/food etc....walked up to the beer tent and there was a crowd of people standing around, none of whom had a beer in their hand.

So, I went up to the guy and asked (politely at first, I promise) what was up. I figured there was a problem with the kegs/CO2 or some such. Nope. The old guy just announced that he wasn't going to start serving until 10am. I asked why and he said, "its the law". It is not. Things may have gotten a little heated...words were said....I regret nothing.

I'm not wating an hour for miller lite in cups that were, I'm guessing here....6oz.

You know who doesn't have that problem? BCS Marathon.
wangus12
AG
Cowtown has always done that for some reason. Refusing to serve to 10. Mayor Betsy Price needs to finish earlier and fix this issue
O.G.
wangus12 said:

Cowtown has always done that for some reason. Refusing to serve to 10. Mayor Betsy Price needs to finish earlier and fix this issue

I'm not wating around for Miller Lite on their good time. At 9am there would be roughly 1000 finishers, give or take. By 10am there could be 3-4000, thats insane. (Editors note: "insane" is not the word that I used with beer guy)
wbt5845
AG
wangus12 said:

That whole 10 AM deal is what leads to the long line all day long - they start with 1000 people in line and never recover. I looked at that line and noped right the hell outta there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.