Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Article on Walmsley - Olympic Trials

5,547 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggieOO
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How about "undulating"?
Big Cat `93
AG
Pretty impressive on that course and in that wind.
AggieOO
Abdi!
wangus12
AG
Rupp, Abdi, Riley.

Can't believe Abdi did it. Really was hoping Korir was gonna get a spot
AggieOO
Jim at 2:15:05 in 22nd place
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

I think Walmsley hits ~2:15. Don't think he makes the team, but he'll finish in the Top 10.

Nice call on his time!
wangus12
AG
AggieOO said:

wangus12 said:

I think Walmsley hits ~2:15. Don't think he makes the team, but he'll finish in the Top 10.

Nice call on his time!
I expected the times to be slower. Didn't see anyone breaking 2:10. I'm curious to see what Jim does now. Go back to Ultras or possibly commit to the marathon for a chance at 2024
AggieOO
He's running comrades in June.
wangus12
AG
I have buddy trying to convince me into my first 100m at Rocky Raccoon next year, but if there was ever an Ultra I'd want to do, it'd be Comrades
EllisCoAg
AG
This is one of the ladies in the top two first marathon
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
wangus12
AG
Can't believe all the women's favorites faded out.
AggieOO
wangus12 said:

I have buddy trying to convince me into my first 100m at Rocky Raccoon next year, but if there was ever an Ultra I'd want to do, it'd be Comrades

My favorite race I've done, by far.
wangus12
AG
Tuliamuk, Seidel & Kipyego for the women. Des is the alternate
Smudge
AG
AggieOO said:

wangus12 said:

My favorite race I've done, by far.
Not sure I'd call it my absolute favorite, but it's top 3 for sure... but, to echo Aggie00's sentiments, do it. An amazingly well run event, great folks, and an easy to crew course. And definitely one of the easier hundreds out there, so a great choice for a first go at the distance. Don't get me wrong, it's tough, but you can still finish under 30 if your race completely derails, even early on.
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
AggieOO
I was referring to comrades.

Done RR100 as well. It's a good first race.
wangus12
AG
When you know you're gonna win.

94chem
Funny watching those emaciated hens peck at each other.
AggieOO
Decent interview with Jim about the trials, how it went, and what is next.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/03/jim-walmsley-olympic-marathon-trial-results-interview.html
ptothemo
AG
His comments about Rupp are interesting to me. I realize that Rupp is very much the face of the group of Salazar trained athletes, but I just wonder how far the presumed dark cloud by association goes. I have to imagine that there were other runners on Saturday who have been trained by Salazar in some way but maybe not in the sense of direct coaching through the Oregon Project. I just think that the whole situation is messy, and it's so hard to know what is what, who is clean, etc. in its current state.
AggieOO
I definitely don't think rupp was clean with Salazar. Now? I don't know, but guessing he still has contact with Salazar, so I think its a better chance than not that he's taking something.
ptothemo
AG
Maybe this thought is too rational, but wouldn't it be crazy to stay in contact with Salazar in the process of qualifying for and training for the Olympics? Or is the thought just the envelope has been pushed so far already, why not keep pushing?

I generally find the psychology of this type of thing intriguing. I often wonder if the line just gets blurred and pushed so incrementally that coaches and athletes end up in a place that they never would have imagined at the beginning of the line being blurred and pushed.

(And sorry that I am kind of hijacking the thread after the Walsmley interview. Reading it this morning has led to related tangents.)
94chem
ptothemo said:

Maybe this thought is too rational, but wouldn't it be crazy to stay in contact with Salazar in the process of qualifying for and training for the Olympics? Or is the thought just the envelope has been pushed so far already, why not keep pushing?

Did you watch the 30 for 30 on Lance Armstrong? Wouldn't it be crazy to assume that any of them are clean? Is it one of those "everybody knows that everybody knows but nobody admits it" sort of sports?
AggieOO
I don't think T&F is quite as bad as cycling in the 90s/early 2000s was, but there are definitely way more dopers than people like to admit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.