Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Wim Hof Method / Cold Therapy?

1,324 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 94chem
Jim Hogg is angry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I haven't ever really done cold therapy, but have been reading and hearing testimonials about the Wim Hof Method. Has anyone tried his routine, or does anyone here use cold therapy or ice baths to reduce inflammation?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I started to try WimHof but I can't stand cold water. Just can't do it.
Jim Hogg is angry
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

I started to try WimHof but I can't stand cold water. Just can't do it.

Same here.
aggiederelict
Why not just eat foods the help manage inflammation or remove things from your diet that promote inflammation?
P.U.T.U
AG
If you are going to try it do it now, you cannot take a "cold" shower during the summer in Texas FYI
Desert Power
AG
I have done the breathing exercises and the first time I completed my breathing I felt a huge high. It was actually the best I have ever felt.
AtlAg75
AG
I am an instructor for Wim Hof. Have been practicing for 2.5 years and an instructor for 1.5 years. I became an instructor because I understood the potential impact this could have on people's lives and wanted to be able to teach them.

Without going into all of the benefits (I can if anyone wants, love talking about this, semi retired and this is all I do) of the science and research behind Wim and the WHM, the research has been very clear. Among temporarily raising PH levels, reducing inflammation (the gateway to disease), improving your cardiovascular system (some of many physiological changes that happen while practicing) the goal of the method is to help you live a life you can enjoy both physically and mentally. As you age and become a senior, one is no good without the other.

The most common issue people have with the method is the cold. Trust me, I was there as well. But due to some health related scares when I hit 60 my mind was open to giving it a shot. I like to run and have always pretty much shut down my running between November and February because I hated running in cold weather. Yesterday I went for a trail run with the outside temp at 29 and I loved it! My relationship with the cold has been forever changed which is good because of all the health benefits I can now enjoy. Wish I had known about the method a long time ago.

For those who don't like the idea of cold showers or ice baths I'll tell you this. Your ability to try it and eventually adopt it as a daily practice starts 100% in your mind. Mindset is one of the 3 pillars of the WHM - breathing, mindset and cold exposure. All 3 have their place but of the 3, mindset is the most important and beneficial. In my classes I teach all three but know that if I can't teach others how to develop control of their mind, to wrestle control of their subconscious decision making into consciousness, then they will not sustain practicing the method or any other changes they try to make in their lives.

There is a simple way you can learn to enjoy the cold and all the health benefits it can deliver without having to pay me or another instructor for a class. Buy the book The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton. You will learn how we let our subconscious mind make decisions for us and why you want to change that. Then watch the free video from Wim on his website (www.wimhofmethod dot com) to learn the method. Of course, classes are awesome because you get more detail along with other tips and tricks to sustainably maximize your health and longevity.

Learn and practice the Wim Hof Method, your future self will thank you. Wim is gaining incredible visibility and acceptance world wide, including here in the US. Just last week Lewis Howes and Jesse Itzker (owner of the Atlanta Hawks) were with Wim in Poland for his training.

I can go on a long time about this subject so will stop here but am happy to answer any questions about the method or health in general. While I do live in Atlanta I'm hoping to offer some Texas classes this year (Houston and Waco areas). Feel free to PM or email at don at flowgevity dot com.
AtlAg75
AG
aggiederelict said:

Why not just eat foods the help manage inflammation or remove things from your diet that promote inflammation?
Absolutely you want to do that as a minimum but there are many ways our bodies develop inflammation. Near the top of the list, if not at the top, is stress. In our lives today we are constantly "chased by the bear" keeping our bodies in the fight or flight mode for long hours at a time. From work to relationships to smartphones that keep us connected to the world 24 hours a day, our sympathetic nervous system is releasing stress hormones - adrenaline, noreminephrine and cortisol. This leads to inflammation and chronic stress.

The WHM will activate the parasympathetic nervous system (feed and breed), calming the mind and lowering the heart rate. Thus reducing stress. This is one of the hallmarks of the WHM.

There are other simple bio hacks to immediately reduce stress and anxiety. If you are walking into an important meeting or into what you know may be a stressful situation, do this. Breathe out slowly, twice as long as you breathe in. As an example - 4 seconds in and 8 seconds out. Do this a few times and you will activate the parasympathetic nervous system. Its used all the time in sports. Pitchers will use on the mound prior to a critical pitch to "calm the nerves".
DavidAg02
Been doing a weekly cryotheraphy session for a year now, and I've seen some nice benefits from it. The most obvious benefit is that I've just become a lot more tolerant to the cold. Other than that, it's really great for joint pain/soreness, bumps and bruises, things like that. At least for me, it has no affect on muscle soreness though.
David Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop! Houston, TX
94chem
So...umm...can you even find it when you get out? Asking for a friend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.