Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

2020 Shiner Marathon

928 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ShinerBlonde
JamaicasGotMangos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shiner's half has always been on my bucket list, but I was slightly intrigued by Shiner's announcement to include a full this year. For anyone who has run it, how hilly is it? I'm a flat land runner from south Texas who has ran Austin 5 times, with my last one being my PR in 2019. I'm debating if running another hilly course is what I want, but I've also always wanted to run Shiner. Would like to hear from people familiar with the area or who have ran Shiner's other races.
91_Aggie
AG
I went to their website to see if they had coruse map. Its on mapmyrun for the half. They didn't show a map for full.

But man that half course is a mess.
https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/570143714

Hopefully the full is not running that twice.

They will need a bajillon course marshalls to keep everyone on the right path

mrsbeer05
AG
91_Aggie said:

That looks like the maps my 3 year old makes.
zachsccr
AG
Or my toddler grabbed an etch a sketch.
htxag09
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

91_Aggie said:

That looks like the maps my 3 year old makes.
Surely that isn't for real?
MouthBQ98
AG
Heh, I know that area fairly well. My family meets at green Dickson park for family gatherings now and then. Lots of 2 lane blacktop, but with proper signage it should be be too bad.
ptothemo
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

it should be be too bad.

I know what you meant here, but the typo doesn't lie. That course looks ummmm interesting.
meat09
AG
We live in Shiner. I have run the 10k and half. The half and 10k are the same until Green Dickson where they branch off. The half then runs through backroads for 7 miles before coming back to Green Dickson to the brewery for the finish. The course is not flat by any stretch, you are pretty much either ascending or descending the entire time. I am planning to run the full this year and have inquired what the full course will be, but it is still being mapped out.

Regardless, the race is a fun and the party is a blast. Beer is cold and the sausage is great. I may be biased though. It is always great to get more Ags to Shiner.
bushytailed
AG
I've run the half three times and I swear it's uphill the entire way. This is coming from someone that has run the austin half a couple times. I can't imagine running a full on those hills.

Several friends have run the half as well. I believe our collective response when learning about this year's full option was "F that".

That said, I'd run the Shiner half again and I would encourage others to do so as well. I'll be there for this year's race but haven't decided on the half or 10k. The after party is fantastic!

tl/dr: Shorter distance leaves more time for beer.
The Pilot
AG
I've run the half. The course itself is nothing special, some rolling hills. If I recall correctly, it's mostly on rural roads. I doubt I'll ever run it again, but if I did, I wouldn't do the full.
wangus12
AG
One of these years I'm gonna run the half down there. Hell I dated a gal from there for 4 years and never did it.
Max06
AG
That map isn't correct or has some kind of tracking errors- here's the actual map

https://www.halfmarathons.net/course-map-shiner-beer-run/
jejdag
I agree with bushy.
Ran the half the first four years and have run the 5K since then, so as to focus more on the after party.
If any of you also ride, the after party they have for the ride is the same kind of good time. I'm signed up for the 100-miler.

I'm not from Shiner, but hope to retire there one of these days.
ShinerBlonde
AG
bushytailed said:

I've run the half three times and I swear it's uphill the entire way. This is coming from someone that has run the austin half a couple times. I can't imagine running a full on those hills.

Several friends have run the half as well. I believe our collective response when learning about this year's full option was "F that".

That said, I'd run the Shiner half again and I would encourage others to do so as well. I'll be there for this year's race but haven't decided on the half or 10k. The after party is fantastic!

tl/dr: Shorter distance leaves more time for beer.

There was definitely multiple f*** no's in my answer for the Shiner full. The half is hilly enough. But I do hope to do the half again this year. Great post race!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.