Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Houston Marathon/Half

5,114 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by rilloaggie
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggieOO said:

LaQuica said:

ptothemo said:

LaQuica said:

A few people had heart attacks proving why running huge distances like this is not a beneficial to your health.

Just like the original marathon.

Solid first post on this board (at least I think it is). Bold strategy coming to the H&F board on the morning of a big race to hate on distance running. It's almost like you are just stirring the pit or trolling. Wait, yes, you are doing just that.
nah just dont' want to see someone die for no reason when there are better alternatives to getting physical exercise than long distance running. Hell even long distance professional runners suffer heart attack its pretty well documented the effects of endurance running on your heart.

Show me on the doll where the distance runner touched you.

Studies are inconclusive at best, and even the ones that say it's bad for heart health (plaque buildup) suggest that 25% or less of people are susceptible.

But still not sure why you feel the need to crap on people's accomplishments. Just don't click on the thread. I don't agree with the vast majority of people's views on politics on texags, but I just don't bother opening those threads...
Our cardiology department published a study last year (actual study was from 1998-2014) about high activity levels (measured in metabolic equivalents) leading to higher calcification scores (deposits in the coronary arteries) in men. Study showed a correlation between men with high levels of physical activity (such as endurance training) and higher CAC scores, but there was no association with increased all-cause mortality or cardiovascular related mortality after a decade.
NoahAg
I won't feed the "marathoning will kill you" troll too much, but just my personal experience:

tl;dr version - 20 marathons, a handful of halfs, and a few ultras since 2007...

2 months ago I had some chest pain while doing speed work. EKG, ultrasound, blood and urine work, and stress test came back perfect. Calcium score was 0. So we're 99% sure the chest issue is not heart related, but likely reflux. Next step on that front is an endoscopy next week.

Maybe marathoning will kill me. But I'm a happier, healthier person when I run.

"If he dies, he dies."
/Ivan Drago
Sooner Born
My turn! 7 years ago I was 30 lbs overweight, pre-hypertension blood pressure, in a pretty bad zone with most of my blood tests and a generally miserable person to be around. And everything on that scale was trending in a negative direction.

Insert running and 7 years later I'm at a perfect weight, crazy good BP and resting pulse rate, my blood work is phenomenal and I'm generally just happier. I haven't changed a thing other than my exercise habits. I'd tried to incorporate other exercise habits but long distance running has proven to be the one that stuck.

If it kills me, so be it but I'd say that it's more than saved me to this point.
EulessAg
AG
All of y'all talking about how great this race was has made me just go and register for 2021. Looking forward to it!
bushytailed
AG
This makes my heart hurt. Prayers for his family and friends.

74-year-old runner dies at mile 16 of Houston marathon
wessimo
AG
Wow, 36 years straight running the marathon. Another article said he'd had stress tests done three weeks before the race and he was cleared. At least he kicked it doing what he loved.
CoachRTM
AG
bushytailed said:

This makes my heart hurt. Prayers for his family and friends.

74-year-old runner dies at mile 16 of Houston marathon

I hate hearing stories like this. I'm glad someone was right there when it happened, which means that there was very likely nothing that could have been done as the response time should have been as good as you can hope for.

Because I was curious, I looked up this information. (My wife has had a rough go lately, as 3 people have died or almost died in races that she has run in the last year)

This is very rough, and I'm sure statisticians would poke holes in it, but it should be directionally accurate.

Approximately 7,452 die per day in the United States whereas there are approximately 327.2 million people. Thus, 0.002275% of the population dies every day. (1 out of 43,956 people)

Per the article - "A marathon spokesperson said he became the fourth person to die in the race's 48-year history....."

I was only able to find participant numbers for the last 10 years (all of which were between 19,000-24,000 total participants). It was a total of over 219,000. So even if you shrink the 48 years to instead be only the last 10, then 0.0018244% of people have died during the event, which means that you would be about 20% less likely to die while running a race than the average person.

If you include my estimates on the other 30+ years, the stats would point towards you being 50-70% less likely to die while running than the average person.
rilloaggie
AG
Runners World has a podcast series and they touch on the mortality rates of people who have gone into sudden cardiac arrest during races vs. those who have a sudden cardiac arrest elsewhere. I don't remember the exact statistics but you're much more likely to survive an event like that if it happens at a race. This is largely due to the medical staff being "on call" and prepared to help someone within minutes of the event happening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.