Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

CPAP users

2,841 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Thomas Sowell, PhD
Drshovelhead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was wondering if anyone who uses a CPAP machine has tried any of the mouth piece devices. I usually take my CPAP with me when I have to travel but it is a pain. A goal of mine this year is to get back in the wilderness more but I really sleep like crap without my machine. Just curious if one would be an option. Any advice is appreciated.
Hoosegow
It's a heck of a lot better than trying to sleep without it.
Class of '94
BallerStaf2003
AG
My partner is a total mouth breather and he really likes the mouth only mask we've gotten. He felt like air was being forced up his nose with the other ones.
lazuras_dc
AG
I think what you're referring to is a oral appliance such as a mandibular advancement splint?

I think work really well for mild to moderate sleep apnea. Make sure to work with a dentist that has experience in this.
Preferably someone who is board certified - American Board of Dental Sleep medicine or American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine but often times these offices are pricey!

If it were me, I'd commit to having the device made, and wearing it for the appropriate adjustment period and make sure you work with your provider to make sure its properly titrated and get a titration PSG done as well.

You need fairly healthy teeth and joints to begin with for good success and there can be some side effects, such a changes to the bite (often times not severe and tolerated well by people - a lot of times its eliminated if not mitigated by using an AM aligner), jaw pain (if you're susceptible to TMJ issues either joint or muscular).

There are different appliances for different preferences, people who have bruxism, peoples' ability to have some freedom of movement, and cost are all factors.
Hoosegow
Dang. I went about mine all wrong. I bought mine from CVS for $50 and followed the directions. I had no idea I needed to pay hundreds of dollars to get virtually the same thing...

OP, I forgot my CPAP on a trip out west and didn't realize it until I went to be in Odessa. I wasn't about to drive 6 hours back to get my CPAP. I went and bought one of the mouth pieces from CVS, fit it and tried it out. I slept much better and my significant other was happy with the results. It did not work as well as my CPAP, but it sure was a heck of a lot better than going without it. If I was camping in the woods, like you are wanting to do, and I was away from electricity, I for sure would want my mouth piece.

And I sure wouldn't waste my money on an expensive one from a dentist.
Class of '94
Drshovelhead
Thanks for the input. I guess I will have to try a mouthpiece. I've read where you should sleep with it a few times to get use to it. Now the question is which one. I did one search now I get every ad for every different one.
lazuras_dc
AG
That's one way to look at it Hoosegow. in that case I should just use essential oils or anything else I can find OTC instead of seeing my PCP Right ? Also you got yours because you were in a pinch. Custom oral appliances would be better suited for long term and/or nightly use. If you're using yours once in a blue moon and cpap the rest of the time, by all means save your money. So perhaps I jumped to conclusions on OPs intent when offering my advice.

OP,
Wouldn't hurt to try an OTC one but for the long term you'll only know subjectively if it's working, one size fits all may not be super comfortable for everyone, and lastly if you do start to get some side effects you really don't have anyone to trouble shoot it for you (regarding oral appliances see: smile direct club and all the issues folks are running into trying to save money. )
If it works for you great, but Personally I like to be able to rely on folks who are more experienced and smarter than I am regarding my health and other important things in life.

OP yes it does take some time to get used to. I usually tell folks to wear for one hour prior to bed - putting something foreign to you in and laying down immediately is a recipe for laying awake for a while thinking about it the whole time. Also don't get frustrated or disappointed if you can only wear it for an hour or two at first. You can definitely buildup to wearing it longer/all night. Goodluck whatever you decide to do.

Hoosegow
Let me guess, you make your living in the medical field?

It's a mouthpiece...
Class of '94
I Am A Critic
Where are all of the cross-trained pulmonologists offering to clean people's teeth?
Username checks out.
lazuras_dc
AG
Username fits.

If that's a stab at dentists who screen and/or work for patients with sleep apnea let me play devils advocate and say that even the well trained folks do not claim to be as knowledgeable as pulmonologists or sleep physicians or PCPs. With that being said i have had several dozen patients whom I've screened (notice I said screened not diagnosed) for sleep apnea who came back moderate or severe and their PCP never bothered to catch or simply missed. Many of whom can now decrease their blood pressure med dosage, have much more day time energy and awareness, and will likely live longer lives.

Almost all of these patients are now on CPAP that their sleep docs have prescribed and titrated.

On the occasion that someone fails CPAP i feel it is my prerogative to work with the sleep physician to make an oral appliance for the patient. If you want to talk crap, that's fine but I feel like this is a nuanced issue and sometimes it's not "JUST" a mouthpiece. Just like a cpap is not just a machine you can throw on willy nilly. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Kool
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Username fits.

If that's a stab at dentists who screen and/or work for patients with sleep apnea let me play devils advocate and say that even the well trained folks do not claim to be as knowledgeable as pulmonologists or sleep physicians or PCPs. With that being said i have had several dozen patients whom I've screened (notice I said screened not diagnosed) for sleep apnea who came back moderate or severe and their PCP never bothered to catch or simply missed. Many of whom can now decrease their blood pressure med dosage, have much more day time energy and awareness, and will likely live longer lives.

Almost all of these patients are now on CPAP that their sleep docs have prescribed and titrated.

On the occasion that someone fails CPAP i feel it is my prerogative to work with the sleep physician to make an oral appliance for the patient. If you want to talk crap, that's fine but I feel like this is a nuanced issue and sometimes it's not "JUST" a mouthpiece. Just like a cpap is not just a machine you can throw on willy nilly. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You are correct. And I say this as a double Board Certified physician- ENT and Sleep Medicine. Especially with the advent of home sleep testing, having more people screened is better. Worst case scenario, the person is out a couple hundred bucks because their study was normal.

Edit: in determining whether people are appropriate for the Inspire hypoglossal nerve stimulus procedure, I do drug induced sleep endoscopy on patients. I always do a slight jaw thrust and see how much improvement their airway obtains before we turn off the Michael Jackson Sleeping Medicine (Propofol). I'm always amazed at how a slight forward movement of the jaw can open up the entire airway, from the soft palate down to the epiglottitis.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waltonloads08
AG
Did my in-clinic sleep study last Friday, and had 14 AHI/hr, which I'm told is the border between high mild and low moderate sleep apnea. Haven't seen the doc yet though, so he may see something else in the study to influence his recommendation. I'm hoping he thinks I can benefit from a dental device first...
Kool
AG
If you want to get insurance coverage for an oral appliance, you will probably have to try CPAP first. And you should try CPAP. It is really the best form of treatment. Cue the CPAP haters.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Waltonloads08
AG
Fair enough.
Eso si, Que es
Kool said:

If you want to get insurance coverage for an oral appliance, you will probably have to try CPAP first. And you should try CPAP. It is really the best form of treatment. Cue the CPAP haters.
I chewed through 2 mouthpieces (from a dentist), that is how bad I used to grind my teeth. I have completely stopped after being fitted for a CPAP.

I had 32 episodes an hour during my sleep test
Waltonloads08
AG
Yeah I chewed through a custom molded retainer in about 4 months. Great to hear you had good results.
Swarely
Somewhat on topic question: is there a market for cpap machines? I still have mine (used for a couple months before getting the oral appliance) and have no use for it. Payed off through insurance.
Drshovelhead
I currently have a CPAP machine that I use nightly. I pack that every time I travel but I am usually in the same location multiple days. I had a mouth piece years ago that worked great that I got from my DDS that cost damn near the same as my CPAP, but the dog found it and did a number on it. I was just trying to get an idea if anyone has tried one of the adjustable DIY mouthpieces. I rather try an $50-80 mouthpiece for temporary use to see if I can use it instead of carrying an extra bag for my CPAP.
Drshovelhead
Kool said:

I can't recommend getting the CPAP enough. For some reason people I have talked to about getting one know they would benefit but they are scared of doing the sleep study for some reason. It is a world of difference using one.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yeah so a lot of bruxism stems from apnea and sometimes night guard or retainers that may cause your mandible to retrude can worsen the apnea and cause bruxism to become worse. Treating the apnea often times will solve the bruxism.

Kool is right if you want insurance coverage on a dental appliance you have to "fail cpap" first and have a signed affidavit. As well as a physician prescription and SOAP notes.

Most places that work with oral appliances will either do a cash fee that's relatively lower and not mess with having all that junk and jacking with insurance or their fee is usually pretty high and it goes toward your deductible/insurance.
lazuras_dc
AG
See if your dentist can make you a MyTap appliance. It's a boil and bite so much cheaper...but going to be higher quality than your CVS numbers. And your DDS can make you an AM aligned along with it to mitigate the side effects.

If it were me I'd make you a second one at cost if you already paid a good chunk of change for the first one !! Ask if he's willing to do something like that. If you still have your models/scan and protrusive bite record it should not cost him any chair time other than minor fitting adjustments on delivery.
Hoosegow
lazuras_dc said:

.but going to be higher quality than your CVS numbers.

Means more expensive but not necessarily any better...
Class of '94
pasquale
AG
Swarely said:

Somewhat on topic question: is there a market for cpap machines? I still have mine (used for a couple months before getting the oral appliance) and have no use for it. Payed off through insurance.

I'd be interested but not sure how to set it up.
BCOBQ98
AG
I'm in houston and probably need to get a sleep test. Any recommendations?
agAngeldad
Chew through several mouth guards. Then got one from simple sleep. It takes a few nights to get used to but it works better and you not going to chew that bad boy up.
WestAustinAg
AG
Doctor said my blood pressure had increased. Asked if I snore. I said yes. Sent me to ENT. DId the home study. Study said I had moderate reduction...apnea...18x an hour.

Got a cpap last week. It fits over the nose only. It is now telling me I only have 1 or 2 episodes of apnea per hour.

Not sure I can pinpoint a single difference in my life - not more or less tired...maybe my blood pressure will fall.

What device did you guys mean that you can buy at the pharmacy for $50?
Swarely
pasquale said:

Swarely said:

I'd be interested but not sure how to set it up.

Interested in buying? From looking online it appears that it's illegal to sell one to someone without a prescription.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
"putting something foreign to you in and laying down immediately is a recipe for laying awake for a while thinking about it the whole time."
Get your mind out of the gutter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.