Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Anybody doing the Texas Independence Relays?

1,837 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bushytailed
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking to join a team if you have room!
AggieOO
just run it solo!
rilloaggie
AG
I was texting a friend about joining a team today...then my supervisor (wife) reminds me we have a wedding on the 28th. Totally wrecked my vibe.
htxag09
AG
One of these years I'm going to do this damn thing.....
wbt5845
AG
I know of a team that's looking for someone and I'm thinking about doing it.
bert harbinson
AG
I'm running it again this year, but our team is set.
farmersfight
AG
I know of 2 teams from BCS that still need members...are you looking for a faster or slower team?
Swarely
Oh, I am slow.
bushytailed
AG
farmersfight said:

I know of 2 teams from BCS that still need members...are you looking for a faster or slower team?
I'm co-captain for said slower team.
Swarely
Got room?
ShinerBlonde
AG
I am captain of said slower team. We currently have 4 spots open with quite a few people who have said maybe. Our team ranges in speed from 8:30 min to 11 min miles and is a mixed team with guys and girls. BushyTailed is going to be coordinating one van and I will be doing the other. No one on the slower team has done this before so we are going to be leaning on the knowledge of the fast team folks from our running club to help us with planning.
wbt5845
AG
So I just joined a CG team from the Arlington/Mansfield area. We are renting two vans, driving down together, driving back together, etc.

We still have one open slot and, of course, potentially may have more. If you do CG and want to join us, email me at my username AT Yahoo dot com and I'll pass your info on to our captains.
wbt5845
AG
So for those of you who've done this before - do you just use a headlamp at night? I have one I use for work around the house, but I've never run with it. Or do the little handheld things work better?
bert harbinson
AG
Headlamps are easy, handheld would work fine as well. You'll be required to wear a reflective vest. Other lights (like a blinking bike light) are optional but a good idea.
NoahAg
^
What he said. I think at minimum a headlamp/flashlight and a blinky are required for the dark legs. Just use common sense and make sure you are visible. Some of those dark stretches you may not be running alongside anyone else.

This will be our team's 12th time and my 10th (I skipped 2 in the middle). Only our captain has been on all 12 teams. We won't compete for the top spot but we have fun and try to get better each year. Last year was our fastest overall pace, helped by a new guy who was running 6:30 splits at 58 years old! We're a mix of paces, ranging from low 7:00s to 9:00s.

I'll post my packing list later on. It's a great event and a lot of fun. I only wish they could extend it back to 200 miles. I'm a creature of habit and my mild OCD doesn't like that it's "only" 180 miles now with the downtown finish. The San Jacinto Monument finish was special and historic but those last legs of the race were just ugly.
htxag09
AG
Interested. Any slots open? How do I get in touch with you?
ShinerBlonde
AG
You can email me directly at shinerblonde20@gmail (dot) com if you are interested in the slower team. We will be leaving out of B/CS Friday evening before the race and back Sunday evening. We plan to get hotel rooms near Gonzalez Friday night for the Saturday morning start.
wbt5845
AG
So I just signed up with an established team that was looking for one more. I know a few people on the team.

Do you guys like to run the same legs each year? These guys all want to do the same legs they've done before. Since I'm new, I don't care - it's all new to me.
bert harbinson
AG
My second time running, and will be doing the same legs. Our team keeps the same legs for familiarity with the route, but unfortunately that means never seeing some of the towns and missing significant portions of the course.
ShinerBlonde
AG
I just saw your email about joining the team this evening and responded. Sorry for the late reply!
bushytailed
AG
TIR postponed until early/mid May. CoH pulled the permit. Hopefully things work out.
bert harbinson
AG
Damn! I understand but it still sucks.
Dash Down Greenville in Dallas now a "virtual" race. Guess I can still drink a real beer.
AggieOO
bert harbinson said:

Damn! I understand but it still sucks.
Dash Down Greenville in Dallas now a "virtual" race. Guess I can still drink a real beer.
NoahAg
Selfishly I'm glad it's postponed b/c my training has been crap.
Sucks b/c I look forward to hanging out w/ friends I see once a year.
wbt5845
AG
Bummer since I was training for The Cowtown and now gotta keep it up for another month or so.
wangus12
AG
bushytailed said:

TIR postponed until early/mid May. CoH pulled the permit. Hopefully things work out.
Woof, and half the times its hot in March. May is gonna be a burner if it does happen
bushytailed
AG
Their FB post indicated it could also be postponed until June. It'll be a hot one for sure.
bert harbinson
AG
June? Holy hell, teams should get to vote on that. I'd vote "see you next year"
htxag09
AG
More likely to pass out from heat exhaustion than come down with corona virus. And that's not a knock on cv.....
wbt5845
AG
Details from their Facebook post (edited for brevity, bold are my emphasis of key points). My team is saying they can still run - will be nasty, but memorable. Our time will suck but our BAC will likely be a PR.

TL;DR - you ain't getting your money back - either run in June, or do another one of our races, or get a discount on next year's TIR.

Quote:

You most likely are aware, but the 2020 TIR as scheduled was canceled / postponed. If this is the first you are hearing of this, we are so sorry about this development. Needless to say, cancelations and postponements are not good for anyone.

(W)e received a lot of great feedback since yesterday. Thank you for letting us know your situation, giving great ideas and insights, and, again, for the care for us. To be honest, it is a little scary from an event perspective, and we are so sorry that for some of you, this really really stinks. Refunds can not be given, and at this point, there cannot be any deferrals for any team that had not already received a discounted 2021 TIR registration pre-corona. We have taken a hit, too. Looking forward, our 2020 looks nothing at all like previously envisioned, but like you all, we are resolved to do the best with these circumstances.

That said, here is our plan - we have been working very hard to do the best for you as we possibly can. We are going to run circles around stupid covid...

1) The TIR (Gonzales to Houston) is rescheduled for the weekend of June 6-7. We will be seeking your declaration of whether or not your team is planning to do this. If the declared number of teams falls to fewer than 100 teams, then it will be canceled. Otherwise, it is on, unless the prevailing wisdom as the race approaches is that it should not be run due to covid.

2) If a team elects to not run the JuneTIR, or if JuneTIR is canceled due to the virus, teams may receive one team entry in either the Mid-Late September TIR G2G (Goliad 2 Gonzales) Relay or one team entry to the LIT. (See relay descriptions below.) Both Relays will require 50-ish teams (combined - free and paying) to be held, which shouldn't be too hard if JuneTIR is an altogether no-go.

3) Finally, if none of these options work for a team, they may enter the 2021 TIR at a price of $1100 (a $400 discount). If a team does any of the 3 options above, the team will receive $200 off for the 2021 TIR. Down the road, a bundled package may be offered, but for now we are concentrating on options for the TIR's postponement.

Relay Descriptions:

JuneTIR - The TIR course, embraced warmly! For goodness sakes, please relax, and take it "easy" in 11am - 7pm timeframe! No need no need at all to prove your toughness to the team on this one! This will most likely finish at Tinsley in Buffalo Bayou Park instead of the Waterworks (but they're super close).

TIR G2G (Goliad to Gonzales) - Wonderfully and unsurprisingly, Gonzales was so fast in rallying around all of us in the wake of the postponement, and so was Goliad, too. This simply runs in their blood - they can't be stopped! This route, also richly steeped in tradition and Texas historical signifcance, is a 120-130 mile overnight relay that will start in Goliad, on a late afternoon-to-evening on Friday on September 18th or 25th (TBD by next Wednesday). This relay will feature 24 legs and be designed for teams of 8, and it will be run on beautiful back country roads through several smaller, yet proud Texas communities, such as Cuero, Yoakum, Sweet Home, Hope, Halletsville, Shiner, and it will finish in Gonzales! Most teams will finish around noon on Saturday, so there will be more time to fully enjoy Gonzales and to have an excellent post-race party!

The LIT will take place on Saturday, October 24th. This relay has more of a serene feel as it runs throughout and deep into the woods of the Sam Houston National Forest. While picturesque and quieter on small dirt roads, you can rest assured there are no whiney hiney's in the Texas Pineys! This relay will consist of 18 legs and be designed for more intimate teams of 6 to cover 70-80 miles from sunrise to sunset! The LIT also boasts its own piece of history as it finishes right near the boyhood home of Sam Houston in Huntsville!

Look for more about these relays soon! If running one of these races in place of the postponed TIR, you will receive a collector's edition TIR shirt that features a March 28-29, 2020 date (and the TIR socks) no matter when you run!! (lol)

We are working hard and fast toward providing an excellent race that will work with you and your team's schedules, and we appreciate the work to bring things back together (as we are and will be experiencing, too). We hope you have an excellent weekend and months ahead, circumstances notwithstanding. And, we hope you might still be able to get together in two weekends with your team in your part of Texas (or wherever you may be) and go for a team run. Please send us a picture!

Running Full Steam Gloriously,
Jay and Joy
bert harbinson
AG
Thanks for posting this.
bushytailed
AG
Doesn't it contradict the T&C from registration? Those stated that a team can defer up until race day for a fee of $800.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.