Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The 2020 Trail Running Thread

17,242 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WS100 canceled, adding at least one more year to my wait. 2022 at the earliest.

https://www.wser.org/2020/03/27/2020-wser-and-training-runs-cancelled/
AggieOO
this looks interesting, even though I don't really have desire to do the 200+ milers.

RockOn
Barkley Fall Classic is the only and I'm signed up and its in September. I'm 90% sure itll still go on.

Glad i did ABF in January though.
coop-aero-06
AG
AggieOO said:

WS100 canceled, adding at least one more year to my wait. 2022 at the earliest.

https://www.wser.org/2020/03/27/2020-wser-and-training-runs-cancelled/

It feels like it's too early to make the call to cancel the race, since it's 3 months away. But, I would guess that even if they waited another month, they probably still would have cancelled it, so it's probably the correct call.
AggieOO
I thought that too, but after listening to the TRN podcast with Craig Thornley, I understand. Good news is, sounds like my bandera this year will qualify me for the next lottery, whenever that takes place., most likely 2021 for the 2022 race.

That means I have a full 20+ months to do whatever the hell I want.
AggieOO
anyone keeping an eye on this event this weekend?

https://personalpeak.ca/quarantinebackyard/
coop-aero-06
AG
I heard about that on twitter or something, but hadn't seen any details. Looks interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the last-man-standing races.

The 3 remaining races on my 2020 calendar have all been officially cancelled, so I'm brainstorming what to do this summer. I'm the type of person who needs something concrete on the calendar to train for, otherwise I just turn into a lazy bum. It'll probably end up being a few FKT attempts, and some big, long routes that I've been wanting to do for a while, but never got around to it.
AggieOO
coop-aero-06 said:

I heard about that on twitter or something, but hadn't seen any details. Looks interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the last-man-standing races.

The 3 remaining races on my 2020 calendar have all been officially cancelled, so I'm brainstorming what to do this summer. I'm the type of person who needs something concrete on the calendar to train for, otherwise I just turn into a lazy bum. It'll probably end up being a few FKT attempts, and some big, long routes that I've been wanting to do for a while, but never got around to it.

try being injured on top of it. All i'm doing is drinking beer and gaining weight.
coop-aero-06
AG
I've been there. Not fun. Get healthy soon!
oldarmy76
Anyone doing the tejas trail virtual race at reveille ranch or smithville? Planning on doing at least the reveille ranch run. Just have to find a day with a nice cool morning in late April.
coop-aero-06
AG
Cool documentary about David Horton's 2005 Pacific Crest Trail FKT. This is from JB Benna, the same guy who did the Unbreakable documentary, and a Reno local.

ptothemo
AG
Sweet, thank you! I've been spending a lot of time on a stationary bike recently and have run through just about everything on the documentaries thread. I am glad to have another one to add to the list to watch.
AggieOO
you went through all of this/

The Trail Running Film Archive
ptothemo
AG
Well yeah, you said it only takes five or ten minutes, right?

In reality, I totally missed that link somehow. Safe to say I've got a bunch of new options now!
RockOn
Moved to Ogden Utah this weekend and holy hell the trail running here is amazing. First run ("run") was 4 miles, 2k ft uphill.
AggieOO
have a few friends south of you in SLC. I'm insanely jealous of their pictures/posts on IG and Strava.
coop-aero-06
AG
Nice. I haven't had the chance to run in northern Utah yet, but the photos always look amazing.
RockOn
I had convinced myself years ago I was gonna do it, but covid really pushed me over the edge. I was already working remotely so it was just a matter of renting out my house.
ptothemo
AG
I'm envious of you, and that has a lot to do with how many times I've thought about just going for it and doing something like that. COVID has made those thoughts even stronger here recently. I've intentionally stayed away from REALLY looking at the logistics of doing it, but the thought is there. Western North Carolina would be the spot for me.
AggieOO
AggieOO said:

this looks interesting, even though I don't really have desire to do the 200+ milers.

i might have just registered for this.
RockOn
I signed up for the speedgoat 50k, but they're keeping new entrants on a waitlist in case the event doesnt happen.
AggieOO
same thing with Cocodona, which is why I went ahead and hopped on it. They will send a "confirmation email" that i have to click "accept" on before they will charge me. I always have the chance to back out at some point...I also need to inform my wife that I registered.
AggieOO
same thing with Cocodona, which is why I went ahead and hopped on it. They will send a "confirmation email" that i have to click "accept" on before they will charge me. I always have the chance to back out at some point...I also need to inform my wife that I registered.
AggieOO
double post.
coop-aero-06
AG
Cocodona 250 will be a nice "introduction" back to trail running for you after taking some time off in 2020.

Speedgoat should be fun. There's always a really good elite field there.
coop-aero-06
AG
Not a trail race, but since this is the de-facto ultramarathon thread... Badwater is 6 weeks away and is still "on" for the time being. I would guess that if they were going to cancel it due to Covid, it would have to be sometime very soon.

However, that's one race where they could probably run the race as-is without making any major changes and still follow distancing guidelines and what-not. There are no aid stations, the field is only 100 runners, and they already do rolling wave starts. They could modify it so that each wave only has 5-10 runners and it wouldn't change the race significantly. That will be an interesting test case to watch.
AggieOO
biggest issue is the National Park permit. NPS seems to be the most flippant about pulling permits. As remote as it is, i can see it going either way:

"we are remote, and spread out. no worries at all."

Or

"we are remote there a very limited resources available to the areas the race traverses. There are people flying in from all over the world, and we can't risk exposing the local population to a potential health crisis with limited healthcare."
AggieOO
Also, Bryce Canyon ultras are a go this weekend.
RockOn
Wow thats awesome.

Side note - I got caught in a snow flurry, knee deep post holing at 9500 ft on Ben Lommon pk last weekend... 4 days later its hot and all the snows gone. Fun stuff around here.
RockOn
Is anyone familiar with the term "mother-in-law wait"
coop-aero-06
AG
RockOn said:

Is anyone familiar with the term "mother-in-law wait"
Never heard of that. What's the context?
AggieOO
i haven't heard that term either.
RockOn
On a group run/hike, when the fast group stops and waits for the slower ones to catch up - but as soon as they get there the fast group takes off again.

I didn't come up with it, but I'm finding that nobody else has heard of it.
AggieOO
I am familiar with the format, but never heard that term.
wangus12
AG
So I'm training a buddy of mine up for a RR100m next year. This is the first 100m I've written a program for and I'd appreciate any advice I can pass along. He is skipping from a half straight to 100m, but he does have an endurance background.

He's almost got me convinced to join him although I may settle at the 100km. Not sure my knees can handle 100m or the training for it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.