Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

The 2020 Trail Running Thread

17,246 Views | 247 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
Sponge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Started things off with a half in some fresh powder.

Planned for this year around Utah
Buffalo Run 50k
Twisted Fork 64k
Tushars 100k
zachsccr
AG
Needed a break from long road races, so I'm doing some trail runs to start off the year. Shannon Trail series out here in San Angelo. Ran trails out by Twin Buttes on Tuesday and LOVED it.
AggieOO
Running Bandera 100K next weekend. I have zero other races on the calendar, and will likely be doing A LOT less trail running this year, and running in general. I'm shifting my focus for a bit to take a mental break after the last decade+ of running long distance.

I'm sure I'll pick up a few shorter trail races at some point later in the year.

Still have a big interest in the trail and ultra scene, so will be following closely, just taking a bit of a personal break in 2020.
drivinwest
AG
Same here. I'm running Bandera 100 as well, but my heart is not really in it. I'm mostly doing it to support a friend running and also have other friends running on Sunday. I'm signed up for a few shorter trail runs in the spring but plan on taking off a year of running the big heavies.
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks for getting the thread started for this year. Good luck at Bandera this weekend. Hope yall have good weather.

For me, all I have lined up this year is:
February: Fourmidable 50k
April: Canyons 100k (WS qualifier)
June: Broken Arrow Skyrace 52k

Not sure what to do in the fall. Might find another trail race, or maybe go for a marathon PR.
Sponge
AG
A compilation of shots from the Tushars ultra in central Utah back in late July. This is run by Aravaipa.

AggieOO
Forgot to post, if anyone needs a discount code for any Spectrum Trail races, hit me up.
RockOn
Ran the Athens Big Fork fun run today. 17ish miles with 4,100 ft of climbing. Brutal as always but love this race.
AggieOO
Nice job. I'd love to do this one day.
RockOn
Signup will open July 1st and will probably "sell out" in a day or so (race is free). Permit cap is 200. It's by far one of my favorite races and I hope to do it every year.
AggieOO
Its always at a bad time for me bc we are usually traveling at the holidays, so turning around and heading back out isn't great logistically.
AggieOO
Forgot to add, spectrum added a Colorado race this year. Marathon and half in Buena vista over memorial day weekend!
coop-aero-06
AG
I'm guessing most of yall already read irunfar, but here's their brief preview of Bandera for this weekend:

Quote:

The Tejas Trails Bandera 100k is again a Golden Ticket race and will award automatic entry to the Western States 100 to its top-two finishers. The race happens over two laps in the Texas Hill Country.
Women
  • Amanda Basham 2nd 2019 CCC
  • Cat Bradley 2nd 2019 Leadville Trail 100 Mile
  • Rea Kolbl 2nd 2019 Broken Arrow Skyrace 52k
  • Ailsa MacDonald (Canada) 6th 2019 CCC
  • Charli McKee 1st 2019 Javelina 100k
  • Sally McRae 1st 2019 Mozart 100k
  • Kerrie Wlad 7th 2016 Lake Sonoma 50 Mile
  • Arden Young (Canada) 2nd 2019 Quad Dipsea
Men
  • Buck Blankenship 2nd 2019 Mogollon Monster 100 Mile
  • Yew Ferrara 2nd 2019 Tahoe Rim Trail 50 Mile
  • Colton Gale 1st 2019 Siskiyou Out Back 100k
  • Justin Grunewald 3rd 2019 The North Face 50k Championships
  • Drew Holmen 4th 2019 The North Face 50 Mile Championships
  • Jeff Mogavero 3rd 2019 Run Rabbit Run 100 Mile
  • Ryan Montgomery 2nd 2019 Brazos Bend 100 Mile
  • Alex Nichols 3rd 2019 Speedgoat 50k
  • Scott Trummer 1st 2017 American River 50 Mile
  • Cole Watson 2nd 2018 Broken Arrow Skyrace 26k

https://www.irunfar.com/2020/01/this-week-in-running-january-6-2020.html

Should be a tough race for the first Western States Golden Tickets.
AggieOO
i thought there'd be a bigger name or two on the men's side. Women's side isn't a "who's who," but its fairly stacked.

Weather is looking pretty good for saturday. Might rain friday, but everything out there, minus a couple stretches drain pretty well. Chances for rain are dropping though. Temps are looking to be lows mid 30s, highs mid 60s. Would prefer overcast, but can't complain too much about that forecast. I definitely am not as fit as I'd like to be, but have plenty of miles on my legs to get the buckle. Not really worried about my time. Just going to try and have a great day in the hill country and have fun. This will be my fourth finish. Friend is trying to convince me to do it again to get the 500K jacket, but I hope I never have to run this race again.
coop-aero-06
AG
Yeah, none of those names really jump off the page, but I think a few of them should be household names.

Alex Nichols has placed 2nd at Western States. Jeff Mogavero was 3rd at RRR100 and Way Too Cool 50k last year which always attract strong fields. Cole Watson is making his 100k debut; I met him at a race in 2018 and he's insanely fast and a really nice, humble person.
AggieOO
Alex is probably the biggest name there IMO, although I'd argue more people may know Justin due to Gabe's battle with cancer
AggieOO
Not trail, but this is probably the only place anyone will care.

Walmsley has confirmed he is running Comrades 2020. That's going to be interesting.
dave99ag
AG
Following because I like to see how y'all are doing throughout the year on the trails.
coop-aero-06
AG
Good luck to all at Bandera tomorrow!

When are you racing on the trails, Dave?

dave99ag
AG
I'm sticking to the bike right now, but just like to know how y'all are doing. Maybe I'll get on some trails at some point.
AggieOO
Last time he was running on trails was probably 6 years ago in the middle of the night in Arkansas, making sure I wasn't peeing blood. I probably scared him away!
dave99ag
AG
I think you're right! Good luck this morning!
ptothemo
AG
OO - how did it go?
AggieOO
I finished and got my qualifier, so mission accomplished.

For the race itself, it was a rough go. I woke up with stomach issues, and fought them all day. Was a struggle to hydrate and eat, while feeling like you are going to vomit. I only had a single dry heave at about mile 10, but felt like throwing up almost the entire race. Ginger chews and ginger ale were probably the only thing that kept me from actually throwing up.

Overall, felt extremely lucky to keep calories in, as I didn't hit a low point the entire race. Mental state was positive the whole time, and energy levels felt good. Just had to do a lot of walking to calm my stomach. It was my slowest time on that course by quite a bit, but I just needed to punch my lottery ticket, so it was a win for me.
Sooner Born
AggieOO said:

I have zero other races on the calendar, and will likely be doing A LOT less trail running this year, and running in general. I'm shifting my focus for a bit to take a mental break after the last decade+ of running long distance.

This will be the year you get your entry into Western States. I guarantee it.
coop-aero-06
AG
Congrats on the finish! I hope you get to enjoy some time off the trails this year.
drivinwest
AG
Managed to get in at 16:49. It was a struggle the second lap man. I got cold when the sun went down. Lucky Peak didn't get any easier the second time around. I'm so happy to be done with that.
coop-aero-06
AG
drivinwest said:

Managed to get in at 16:49. It was a struggle the second lap man. I got cold when the sun went down. Lucky Peak didn't get any easier the second time around. I'm so happy to be done with that.

Well done!
AggieOO
I kept expecting you to catch up since you weren't too far back on that first loop.

Once my stomach finally settled with about 10 to go, the main thing that kept me running was the cold. If I walked too long, I got super cold. I definitely wasn't prepared for low 30s. I went by the forecast and dressed for 40s, expecting to only be in the dark for a couple hours, not 5 hours.
drivinwest
AG
I was spent the second lap. Stayed at Chapa way too long slurping ramen by the heater. I know what you mean by the weather. My car thermometer read 34 when I left. I nearly fooled around and missed the cutoff.

Great job battling through stomach issues! If you can, come out to Green Ultra for a short loop or hang out at an aid station.

Thanks coop-aero!
AggieOO
I was honestly hoping you were going to catch up. Thought maybe a friendly face could give some motivation, but I guess it was better you didn't or I'd have been sitting by the heater too.

I had some brief delusions of defending my win at the Green ultra, but there's zero chance I'm going to run enough between now and then.

I'll have to see what we've got going on. Volunteering could be a possibility.
AggieOO
Also, saw Billy Yang out there filming, so guessing he will put out a Bandera video at some point soon.
AggieOO
Well, i'm officially sidelined. I knew this was coming since i've been having a lot of pain. I thought I likely had a sports hernia, but I knew I needed to get through Bandera...so i powered through pain, didn't say anything, and got the race done. Went to the doctor today. Good new is, no sports hernia. Bad new is, I have an MRI scheduled for tues b/c it is likely I have a femoral stress fracture. I'm on crutches for the foreseeable future.
Sooner Born
That sucks! Sorry to hear that OO.
coop-aero-06
AG
Dang, very sorry to hear that. Is it possible that you'll be able to cycle during your rehab? Might be good to spend some time back on the bike?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.