Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Forum 16 Weight Loss 2020

42,127 Views | 476 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Frederick Palowaski
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
YouBet said:

Starting Weight = 211.9
Today = 210.0

Complete bullsh^t. I was at 206.5 on Friday morning. Lots of sodium this weekend but still very active, so I'm assuming it's all bloat. Pounding water today.
Today = 207.8
Diff = 4.1 lbs

Was 206.1 yesterday morning and ate barbecue so I'm carrying about 1 lb sodium right now. Also weighing in today because I'm out of town next 3 days. Will be a tough few days on the health front.
YouBet
AG
For those of you counting calories this Omada program I'm doing through work has a different philosophy and I love it. They do not believe in counting calories because (1) there is no evidence that proves it works - according to research they quote, and (2) it's unsustainable because of the tedious nature of it anyway. I've only ever been able to maintain it for max 1 week because it becomes so time consuming and boring even with the slick apps available I give up on it.

Omaha's process is nice...you just type out what you ate or take a picture of it and upload it and then mark it as a Large, Medium, or Small meal and then mark it as either Mostly Healthy, Somewhat Healthy, or Unhealthy. Takes about 3 seconds. That's it.

It's easy and has actually been way more useful and accountable than calorie counting. After you log your food for the day you can simply look back at a Week view and each day is either Green, Yellow, or Red depending on how you marked the food that day. I guess one potential disadvantage of this is that some people don't know healthy food from unhealthy food so maybe you are so uneducated you mark food incorrectly, but I'm not sure how that's possible these days.
Philip J Fry
AG
Week 4 of lower back pain. Getting really annoying.

That said, scale hit 235.6 today. That's 4.4 lbs lost.
texagco2003
AG
Ok, I'm late to this but in. Started the year at my highest ever at 244. Currently down to 237.

Goal for 12/20/20 (I'm not being good around Christmas) is to be down to 210. Looking to hit 220 when the wife and I head to Antigua for our anniversary in June.
txags92
AG
Have your tried stretching your glutes and hamstrings really well? A lot of low back pain can be traced to tight hamstrings and IT bands.
txags92
AG
Assuming you meant 244 and 237?
texagco2003
AG
Lol, thanks. Corrected.
txags92
AG
YouBet said:

They do not believe in counting calories because (1) there is no evidence that proves it works - according to research they quote, and (2) it's unsustainable because of the tedious nature of it anyway. I've only ever been able to maintain it for max 1 week because it becomes so time consuming and boring even with the slick apps available I give up on it.
When it comes to losing weight, everybody is different, and I have all the evidence I need that logging food and counting calories works, because I lost 70 lbs doing it back in 2014. I spent the next 5 years eating terribly and not logging anything and gained a lot back. What you said is true, that many people don't really realize how unhealthy (or calorie dense) the foods they eat can be. There is always the classic "I am only eating salads, why can't I lose weight?" Then when you talk them through it, they have 200 calories of cheese, 150 calories of bacon or ham, 150 calories of croutons, and 400 calories of salad dressing on it and they wind up with a 1000+ calorie salad. If you log it, at least for a while you start to learn the foods that can sabotage you.

I find that after a month or so meticulously tracking what I eat, I know pretty well when I have a good or bad day eating. But logging it is when I do the best at losing what I need to lose. I spent a lot of time "trying to eat healthier with smaller portions" and got nowhere. Once I started logging and sticking to a goal, the pounds started melting off faster than I could have imagined.
Philip J Fry
AG
txags92 said:

Have your tried stretching your glutes and hamstrings really well? A lot of low back pain can be traced to tight hamstrings and IT bands.

Indeed I have. Part of my daily routine. Also on muscle relaxers and high dose ibuprofen.
bthotugigem05
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

1/1/20: 296.6
Whole30 begins
1/6/20: 287.5
1/13/20: 285.5
1/20/20: 279.7

Left for a work trip to London last Wednesday, staying on plan has been nearly freaking impossible but I've somehow managed to pull it off.

1/27/20: 275.6

21 pounds down!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
204.4 this morning, 0.6 pounds up from last week. After the week I had last week, glad it wasn't worse. Back to it this week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

In. 235 at 5-10" on 26-Dec
Well, I finally stared working out....

That's some progress. But damn I am sore
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
AggieAces06
AG
1/2/20 - 144.8
1/6/20 - 144.6 (started 21 Day Fix)
1/13/20 - 142.8 - down 2 pounds
1/20/20 - 141.6 - down 3 pounds
1/27/20 - 141.6 - stuck a little

I had some set backs this past week. I pinched a nerve near my shoulder blade on Wednesday. (Was doing jumping jacks and basically crumpled into a ball from the pain of the pull/pinch). I pushed through the Thursday Pilates workout, but after my arm and fingers starting going numb I decided to go see my chiropractor. Got adjusted and was told not to workout for a couple days. So I took Friday and Saturday off, did the yoga Sunday and did this morning's routine without weights.

Couple that with a couple of heavier meals, and the weight didn't really change week.

I'm going to continue easing into the workouts again, and stick with the healthy eating because I know full well that I will be eating big and bad on Sunday.
Garrelli 5000
AG
192.8 this AM, so just under 5 down on the year. I'm satisfied w/the ~2 lbs I lost this past week considering there was a night out of dinner and drinks w/friends on Saturday.
wessimo
AG
1/1 - 188
1/19 - 184
1/27 - 181

Seven pounds so far; not a huge amount but I'm feeling much less bloated than I was at the beginning of the year.
JoeAggie5
Azul - i don't think it's a testament to what I'm doing right, it's how awful my habits are/were. I would regularly eat out 1 meal per day, jumbo size, large coke, follow that with 2-3 cokes per day, daily dessert, hardly any water, no exercise.

Today I have 2-3 diet sodas a week, 1 dessert a week, go out to eat once a week, eat food i like, but 2 slices of pizza instead of 5. Honestly it's only been a few weeks, I've had one bad day (my son's birthday).

Today, I'm 268 so dropped the water weight and now the real work begins.

I've done Whole30 twice, and dropped over 30lbs each time, but gained it right back both times. Trying to take a more realistic approach. I hate to run, so I walk, it's not much but it's something. I'd like to add weights (we have a weight set at home), but for now I enjoy the walking and look forward to it.

I hope to continue just making baby steps to getting healthier and if that results in weight loss, then great.
mrsbeer05
AG
143.2, finally seeing the numbers go down
txags92
AG
1/1/2020: 264.6
1/5/2020: 261.0
1/12/2020: 257.2
1/20/2020: 253.8
1/29/2020: 252.6

5/1/2020 Goal: 234.6
Total lost in 2020: 12.0

Had a slow week...ate out a few times and had some really sodium-rich meals (Chinese and Mexican) back to back over the weekend. But still moving forward.
AggieChemE09
AG
GW: 165

10/15/19: 189.0 Starting
11/12/19: 179.9
12/06/19: 174.9
01/10/20: 170.1
01/29/20: 166.9

Almost there!
Frederick Palowaski
AG
Frederick Palowaski said:

12/31- 272
1/20 - 259

1/30- 253
Vernada
AG
Great work!
AgBQ-00
AG
Started the year at 295. At 288 this morning. Portion control a
Cut out sweets and sweetened drinks. Adding activity on top of walking this week

ETA goal range 200 to 210
RAB91
RAB91 said:

Quote:

In. Today at 233 (6' 3.5"). Goal weight of 215-218.
Moving over from the other thread..... I peaked after the above weigh in at 234.4 on January 2nd. Most recent weight last Thursday (1/16) was 229.2... so down 5.2 so far. I probably have a few more 'easy' pounds before it starts getting harder.
1/16: 229.2
1/30: 222.0

Down 12.4 lbs so far. It has gone well so far, but it seems to be slowing down this last week. Mostly it has just been portion control and a little more working out. I think the biggest part is that I'm trying not to eat after 7:30 at night. With the Super Bowl this weekend, this week may not be quite as productive in the weight loss area....but we'll see.
StringerBell
AG
StringerBell said:

StringerBell said:

StringerBell said:

im on board. at 203.7 as of last friday.

goal is around 185-190.

1/10 weigh in was 200.7

1/17 was 199.6

Need to eat more during the week. Think diet is too severe right now.

Didn't lose last week and bitterly gave up on this thread and ate horribly last weekend out of spite. Got back to it on Tuesday and got two workouts in this week (didn't have time to work out last week)

Down a pound to 198.6
bthotugigem05
AG
My full write-up on the insanity of Whole30, it was effective but I don't know how helpful it ultimately will be: https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2020/01/31/whole30/
AggieChemE09
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

My full write-up on the insanity of Whole30, it was effective but I don't know how helpful it ultimately will be: https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2020/01/31/whole30/
Temporary solutions lead to temporary results. I do have a lot of friends that are doing it too and it seems to work for them, for now. I really hope everyone's results stick.

edit:Just finished the whole write-up. Looks like you approached it pretty realistically. Doesn't sound like you are gonna have much of an issue getting that last 25 off with the mindset you have.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm curious yet hopeful. Extreme to extreme is easy, settling on moderate will be hard, but honestly I'm just happy to be heading back to the states so I can pick my (new) normal eating habits back up.
wessimo
AG
Nice article but the title of your post didn't really make me want to click it. You should have went with something like:

"To lose weight I tried this one weird trick that doctors don't want you to know and the results were shocking!"
bthotugigem05
AG
I should've click-baited it: "Try this trick to give yourself more room in economy!"
Bazooka Joe
AG
Checking in day one: 1/3/20 199lbs
Goal: 3/1/20 185 lbs

1/17 193.2 lbs
1/25 192.4
1/31 191.6
“The problem with the internet is that one can never trust the accuracy of a quote.” – Abraham Lincoln
Garrelli 5000
AG
Adam Ag 98 said:

192.8 this AM, so just under 5 down on the year. I'm satisfied w/the ~2 lbs I lost this past week considering there was a night out of dinner and drinks w/friends on Saturday.
188.4 since this last post on 1/27.

If I check in below 190 on Monday I'll be happy (albeit surprised if I can keep it under the next 48 hours).
AggieAces06
AG
1/2/20 - 144.8
1/6/20 - 144.6 (started 21 Day Fix)
1/13/20 - 142.8 - down 2 pounds
1/20/20 - 141.6 - down 3 pounds
1/27/20 - 141.6 - stuck a little
2/3/20 - 140.8 - amazingly down a little

Didn't do much working out this past week due to the pinch nerve from the week before and a sinus infection that started on Wednesday.

I'm also shocked that my super bowl free day eating didn't put me higher this morning.
Larry S Ross
AG
Started 172
Weight today 168. Looking for 160-162.
Going slow. I'd like to keep it off.
Good Day.
bthotugigem05
AG
Whole30 begins
2/3/20: 272.5

24.1 pounds down, easing off Whole30 and even had a piece of birthday cake last night without too many ill effects.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Whole30 begins
2/3/20: 272.5

24.1 pounds down, easing off Whole30 and even had a piece of birthday cake last night without too many ill effects.

Nice work!

I was worried yesterday that I would cheat on my keto diet Super Bowl Sunday (I didn't) and I ended up losing weight over the weekend.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.