Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

100 Push-Ups Per Day

35,334 Views | 195 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggieduke
Potcake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Towards the end of the 30 days and a couple of weeks after it was my shoulders that were achy.
theeyetest
I've since dialed it down back to 100 per day. I was up to 300 but it began to be a chore for me. So, I'm back to 100 plus 5x per week CrossFit and try to at least run 5 miles a week.

So glad to see everyone buying in and staying with it!
Trucker 96
Potcake said:

Towards the end of the 30 days and a couple of weeks after it was my shoulders that were achy.

Yeah, I skip every 4th day to hopefully avoid something like this.
beave89atm
AG
Alright I started today. Was pretty surprised how weak I've become.

Day 1 Sequence - 3 x 10, 4 x 15, 1 x 10

Think I will aim for 6 x 15, 1 x 10 tomorrow.
theeyetest
beave89atm said:

Welcome! Your strength will come back surprisingly fast. In 5 days or so you'll be able to knock out 20 without much struggle.
Gilligan
AG
gigemtrev said:

I've since dialed it down back to 100 per day. I was up to 300 but it began to be a chore for me. So, I'm back to 100 plus 5x per week CrossFit and try to at least run 5 miles a week.

What do you have in your home box?

or are you able to get to a real box 5x a week still?

I promise I won't tell, but I will be envious.
theeyetest
Gilligan said:

gigemtrev said:

What do you have in your home box?

or are you able to get to a real box 5x a week still?

I promise I won't tell, but I will be envious.
I'm doing it all from home right now. All I have are dumbbells (20s, 30s, 35s, 50s) and a 24" jump box and a jump rope. That's about it!
beave89atm
AG
gigemtrev said:

beave89atm said:

Welcome! Your strength will come back surprisingly fast. In 5 days or so you'll be able to knock out 20 without much struggle.

Soooo... I was so sore I couldn't do them the following day. That can't be right?! Maybe I should be taking some l-glutamine supplement.
theeyetest
beave89atm said:

gigemtrev said:

beave89atm said:

Soooo... I was so sore I couldn't do them the following day. That can't be right?! Maybe I should be taking some l-glutamine supplement.

That's definitely sounds right. Just do as many as you can do (until failure) and you'll quickly get so strong.
IJones23
Been lurking on this thread for a few days now and decided to join in. I suck at pushups, so I bought a Slingshot and it makes it so much better. Don't plan on using it the all the time, just long enough to build my strength back up.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
Ezra Brooks
AG
I started with the quarantine at 10 sets of 10 and have moved to 5 sets of 20....not sure if I'll make the next jump to 25 or not.

I am knocking out my 100 generally by 10 am and have started today doing some extra sets of 10 diamond push-ups to hit the middle chest some.

Looking forward to getting back to the gym, but this has been a useful substitute.
Eliminatus
AG
For those who hit 100 and can do that easily now, maybe try negative pushups in increments of ten working downwards in number count. Meaning when you hit 100, next time do 90 normal and then 10 negative. Then 80 and 20, etc. I have always really liked doing negatives as it forces me to truly concentrate on form and you can adjust the pace to fit however much you want to feel it.

I need to dig out my old silkies and give a go at the MARSOC card.
OverSeas AG
AG
Eliminatus
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Eliminatus said:

maybe try negative pushups in increments of ten
So to be clear, a negative would be starting at full extension, then slowly dropping down to your lowest point, pushing back up to full extension, and repeat?

Exactly. The aim is to be in 100% control of your body the entire time and not rely on gravity nor momentum to help in your movements. You are not going for reps, you are going for burn.
A New Hope
OverSeas AG said:

IJones23 said:

Been lurking on this thread for a few days now and decided to join in. I suck at pushups, so I bought a Slingshot and it makes it so much better. Don't plan on using it the all the time, just long enough to build my strength back up.
Try to do regular pushups to failure, then switch to the slingshot to assist you.
Ok. So if I push to failure, how many times do I do that In a row? Push to failure, rest a few minutes, then push to failure again, repeat repeat??
OverSeas AG
AG
A New Hope
OverSeas AG said:

Fedup said:

OverSeas AG said:

IJones23 said:

Try to do regular pushups to failure, then switch to the slingshot to assist you.
Ok. So if I push to failure, how many times do I do that In a row? Push to failure, rest a few minutes, then push to failure again, repeat repeat??
well I suppose it depends on how much you are trying to do at any given time.

But let's say that you want to get to 100 a day, by doing 10 reps 10 times over the course of a day. I would push to failure every time and finish out with knee pushups or an assisted device. You might and up needing to do assisted or knee push ups for some of the entire last sets.

If you are having to do that, you might need to take a break every two to three days for one day, just to let your chest, tri-ceps and back rest, then start again the next day.

As time goes by and you get stronger, hopefully you can get to where you can do all the pushups without being assisted.

Also I just used 10 sets of 10 you could be doing other combinations, 5 sets of 20, etc. Similar concept. I would say however, try to get to a place where you can get to 100 without assistance as fast as you can. So if you are trying, say 4 sets of 25 and need help maybe you change it to 5 sets of 20, or 6 sets of 15 and 1 set of 10.

The point to all of this is, assisted is fine to get you started, but eventually you want to work your way to not needing that.

That is my opinion, there will probably be many others, but I hope that helps.

Lastly, I am 49 years old. I can easily do my 100 in two sets of 50 with about a 2 min break in between. Tomorrow I am going to see how many I can do without stopping, my expectation is around 70 to 75. Shooting to get to 100 non-stop. You can do it!
Really appreciate all the advice. I just recently started exercising again. I'm 57. Used to be in decent shape 15 years ago before kids. I'd really like to build some upper body strength which I've never honestly had. Been cycling for lower body and cardio. Sit-ups for abs. I know it's not a complete regimen but until I build some degree of strength, endurance and tone, I'm not going near a gym.
OverSeas AG
AG
theeyetest
Got a special 100/day 2.0 coming up for those interested. If you've been on the 100/day train for 60 days this will be a great challenge to build more strength and muscle with JUST body weight.
aggieduke
AG
I started this 8 days ago. I am loving it so far. Today I moved up to 4 sets of 25. I also did 400 crunches and 150 curls.
Feel great and can see a difference for sure. I'm 47. Dang that sounds old!
Philippians 4:13

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.