Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

First Marathon - things to know, newbie mistakes

7,041 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bert harbinson
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another one I saw was, "a marathon is 20 miles of hope, and 6 miles of reality!"
ptothemo
AG
My favorite is that the marathon is "just a 10k with a 20 mile warm up"
coop-aero-06
AG
For my first two marathons, I was not trained very well and did a lot of walking in the 2nd half. My 3rd was the first time that I ran the whole thing. I remember the pain in my legs after mile 21-ish was unlike anything I had ever experienced. But I also remember thinking how crazy it was that I was still able to run my goal pace, even with the pain in my legs. That's what good training will do for you.

You're very well trained and ready to roll. As long as you run the first half at the correct pace, you'll be good to finish strong. When it gets tough, dig deep and trust the training that you did.
raidernarizona
Appreciate the encouragement coop! To say I'm excited for the 16th is a huge understatement!

Thanks again to all who offered their help! Lots of good people on this board, when even an Outsider/Red Raider like myself feels welcome!
wangus12
AG
Do you have a time goal in mind?
ptothemo
AG
raidernarizona said:

Red Raider like myself

Ahhhh hell, that's what your handle is based on? I take it all back now! Good luck with your race or whatever, I guess.
raidernarizona
Wangus, 4'ish is the goal...

Haha! Glad I didn't blow my cover any sooner!
raidernarizona
I know I already said this once, but this time I'm serious. Last question and then I'll shut up.

I've had a little tenderness pop up on the lateral side of left ankle. In speaking with PT, possibly peroneal tendonitis. I may go in for a consult with a PT next week to rule out a stress reaction and make sure it's only soft tissue.

My last two Sunday runs are 12 this week and 8 next week. I feel like I can do more harm at this point than good. I know I should listen to my body first and foremost but would I be better off skipping these long runs and resting? Guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance, that laying off a little bit more during this taper isn't going to hurt me too bad?
AggieOO
you've done the work. at this point, you just need to stay loose. if you need to lay off, do it. that said, people feel phantom pains/issues all the time during taper. make sure its a legit reason.
ptothemo
AG
Completely agree with OO - particularly on the phantom stuff during taper. Not at all saying to ignore anything but you are also hyper aware of every bit of everything right now.

One other thing to consider is your shoes and what kind of mileage you have on them. I had two bouts of ankle problems in 2019 and both of them coincided with shoes being at end of life. Maybe not causation there and may not apply to you, but it's something to consider.
raidernarizona
Thanks 00 and ptothemo! Crazy to think that my mind could be trying to sabotage me!
My PT buddy used those same words ptothemo, regarding the body being "hyper aware" and safe guarding itself.

My shoes were getting close. Have a new pair of Cliftons. Need a handful more runs to break in.
bert harbinson
AG
Be smart, be careful, and if you decide to run get some KT Tape (or similar). There are tons of videos on how to apply it for various problem areas. It provided me good support and pain-free running for several issues related to heel and ankle, including your exact problem.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.