Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

First Marathon - things to know, newbie mistakes

7,072 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bert harbinson
raidernarizona
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently signed up for the Austin Marathon. Been wanting to do one for a few years but I finally committed.

I know there are a lot of experienced runners here and I was hoping I could get a little input.
Just generally, what are some mistakes you see newbs make, and are there other insights you guys have for a first timer to get across the line healthy, but to also be able to challenge and push themselves during the prep?

Little bit about me for reference sake. I've only run two halfs, but one was in grad school ('06) and I ran Austin about 2012 (believe I ran a 1:49). I'm 38 this month, 5'11" 164#. Consider myself generally fit, but my running experience is limited to say the least. Been running since early August to prepare for the Kerrville Triathlon Sprint Relay, and kept running through October and started following the attached beginner's plan early last month.

I'm one week short of the 16 on the plan. Which week would you scrap at this point?

Also, I wanted to incorporate several Yasso 800 workouts through the next few months? Any input if this a good or bad idea and when would be a suitable time to implement those? I was thinking Day 35 and Day 70.

Also, feel free to critique the plan if necessary. I'm willing to implement other workouts if they will benefit me come race day.

I appreciate y'alls help very much!!!

ptothemo
AG
There is so much good experience and information out there, and there is a ton of it just on this board. Based on that, my first suggestion is to try to keep it simple and not try to do everything all at once. I think that it's easy to try to incorporate every piece of advice and experience from others to the point that you don't really have a focus. Just try to boil it down as much as possible.

A few recommendations:
--The goal for your first one should be to finish, stay healthy, and enjoy the experience. The time it takes you to do all those things should be less of a concern.
--Get your routine down early - meal the night before, breakfast, how much coffee/no coffee at all, when to use the restroom, etc. - use long run days to do this
--Do the right things between running - stretch, foam roll, strength train, etc. - to keep you healthy
--Don't look at times and workouts and such on social media - lots of those people have been running for years and can be intimidating or demoralizing to follow

As for the Yassos, I assume that you are wanting to do them due to the predictive nature of the workout? Or are you wanting to do them for speed work? On the predictive piece, I am not entirely convinced that they are what a lot of people believe. My personal opinion is that a fast finish long run - race effort for the last five miles, for example - is a much better gauge of how you can expect race day to go. I would also lean toward 3 x 2 miles at tempo or something similar being a better workout than 800's for your purposes.
Sub4
AG
Good luck on working towards the race! Here is a little tidbit of my advice.

-Consistency is key. Your goal is to put in consistent work and build up volume. Never do something today that puts your ability to put in good work tomorrow in jeopardy. A day off today is better than a week off in the future.

-You schedule days off and don't give yourself the option to opt-out that day. It's like skipping class, do it once and it just makes it easier the next time. Since consistency is key, decide ahead of time that you will do the training every day and don't consider the option of not sticking to the plan (unless injury/unforeseen circumstances)

-Its a balance of every day is important, but no day is more important than jeopardizing your goals.

-Learn why you do what. Don't just train "hard" because you feel like it'll make you better. This is the mistake of 90% of Highschool athletes. Running for aerobic strength is a function of time spent running, not distance. So your effort would be better spent going longer, than harder on runs (as long as you are not but-slow jogging)

-Get a good pair of shoes if you don't have already and if possible find people to run with.

Just let me know if you have any specific questions!
Sooner Born
A lot of good advice above. Here are some of my big lessons learned over the years:

- Consistency is what brings results. In long distance running, nothing is more important than consistent training week over week. No single workout is that important...it's the sum of all of the workouts.

- The only way you achieve consistency is to stay healthy. This means doing stretching/strengthening exercises but it also means running at the prescribed paces of the plan. Don't let your easy days creep into medium days or harder, just because you feel good.

- Toss the yasso 800's. You don't have a big enough aerobic base for them to mean anything in terms of prediction. If you want to mix in more workouts, turn your Tuesday or Wednesday mid-week run into something at your desired marathon pace. That is going to be much more effective in helping you towards your goal.
Hoosegow
5 lessons I learned from my one and only marathon.
  • Your nips will bleed. Figure out how to keep that from happening (I used a compression shirt)
  • You will chafe in areas you didn't know it was possible to chafe.
  • You will lose your big toe nail
  • You will be hungrier than you will expect. I thought that since I was running a lot, I could eat whatever I wanted. I ballooned up to 240 when I ran.
  • Don't run a marathon.
Class of '94
raidernarizona
Very helpful and much appreciated!

I was interested in the Yasso's as an indicator of where I could expect to be, but I'll scrap those if my long Sunday runs will benefit me more.

Quote:

This means doing stretching/strengthening exercises but it also means running at the prescribed paces of the plan. Don't let your easy days creep into medium days or harder, just because you feel good.

I guess that is my biggest concern/complaint with the plan I bought. Everyday is an "Easy" day or Slow Long Distance (SLD) so I haven't really been incorporating any speed work per se. I like the idea of running the Wednesday run at or slightly faster than race pace.

Since I'm one week short on the plan, should I scrap this week (Week 5) and move ahead to week 6, running 12 miles this Sunday?

I have neglected proper warm-up and recovery if I'm being honest. I looked at the Run Experience last night and got some good ideas for dynamic stretch warm ups and I'll be better with foam rolling. Thanks again!
frorge
AG
Hoosegow said:

5 lessons I learned from my one and only marathon.
  • Your nips will bleed. Figure out how to keep that from happening (I used a compression shirt)

I put a little piece of mole skin over each nipple for long runs. I"m a heavy sweater and never had an issue. A roll will last a loonnngg time.
wcb
AG
I'm a big fan of the Hal Higdon plans. His Intermediate 1 plan has you run a mid distance run at race pace on Saturday then a long / slow run on Sunday. If you are looking to incorporate speed work you may want to give it a look. The other thing I like about that plan is it gets you two shots at 20 rather than one.

My only advice for race day - don't expect your first to go as planned. My one race I did for time I nailed every training run with zero issues. Come race day my calf cramped. Only calf cramp I've ever had in any training or race scenario. Go figure.
coop-aero-06
AG
raidernarizona said:

Since I'm one week short on the plan, should I scrap this week (Week 5) and move ahead to week 6, running 12 miles this Sunday?

Solid advice above, especially from Sooner Born.

This early into the training, it probably makes sense to jump ahead to week 6, as long as you feel comfortable with a 12 mile run this weekend.

I'll add that you should practice your race-day nutrition in your long training runs. During the race you'll need to be taking in fluids and calories. Everyone has different needs, so use your training runs to dial that in. My routine is 1 gel every 40 minutes, and wash it down with water or electrolyte drink.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
My two cents: I would scrap one of the last weeks (probably week 15) if you want to stick with the plan. A three week taper is really not necessary.

If you are finding the initial weeks really easy it would also be reasonable to jump in later as previously suggested, but if you are starting from a minimal base I would err on the side of starting at a lower point if initial weekly mileage.

I would suggest avoiding all, or almost all, speed work when training for a first marathon unless you are already doing those kinds of workouts in your current practice. Trying to add miles and add hard workouts simultaneously has always been a recipe for injury, at least for me.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
Nothing new on race day
Stick to your plan

If this fails run as fast as you can right away. Trust me
htxag09
AG
To go along with nothing new race day, I always carry my own hydration. Every training run I have it and drink water or my own electrolytes every mile. Why would I drink every 2 miles (or whatever the race is set up at) on a race?

Also, body glide, lots of it.
Nipple band aids
If possible, have restrooms (or an emergency option and your own tp) on your training runs
bushytailed
AG
I find that Squirrel Nut Butter holds up a lot better than Body Glide on long runs. Vaseline is great, but it stains your clothes.

What is it about guys and bleeding nipples? Female runner here. I've never had that problem and I don't know any other women that have. A bit of chafing maybe, but nothing that SNB or Body Glide can't prevent.
AggieOO
You have a sports bra on. You don't have loose fabric rubbing across your nipples.

That said, lube typically takes care of it. Rain, heavy sweating, or a crappy shirt can negate lube.
raidernarizona
Thanks for all of the input!

Is that the consensus with regards to the plan? Just go with a 2 week taper?
AgPediRPh
AG
After a 2-3 week taper, your legs will likely feel great. I have made the mistake of taking off too fast due to feeling good and the excitement of the race. Try not to get too caught up and "run your race".

Study the Austin course. It's pretty challenging, so it helps to know where the big hills are. That way you where to hold back a bit and where to pick up the pace (if you want).

FWIW, I am 3:45-3:50 marathoner and NOT a BQer like many of the badasses here. Obviously the better runners may have different strategies than myself.

Good luck and enjoy the race!

edit: I just realized the Austin race is 2 months away and all my advice is concerning race day. Oops!
zachsccr
AG
I've said it before- lock the port-a-potty.

And don't change things on race day.
MosesHallDeadPot94
Here's my 2 cents (have run quite a few marathons - last one was Pikes Peak last August):
1. Do not skip long runs.
2. You will get sick/injured at some point in your training - make up any long runs.
3. Since your course is not flat - incorporate hill training. You can do this on a treadmill.
4. You will likely hit the wall around mile 20 on your first marathon, especially since your longest run is no more than 20 miles. Try to achieve 20 miles on two separate runs (and go farther if you can).
5. Practice speed walking. You will need to do this after you hit the wall and legs cramp. Also do some speed walking with legs straight to offset cramped legs. Trust me on this one...
6. Hydrate and stop drinking soft drinks.
7. Do not drink gatorade (too much sugar) - train with water and eloctrolytes/sodium tablets.
8. Lube up!!!
9. Find music that motivates you!!! I love music from the 90s - grunge/hip-hop/rap.
10. Get FlipBelt and put gels/sodium tablets for long runs/including marathon.
11. Get massage at least once a month - make sure masseuse works on that IT band!!
12. Lots and lots of stretching - especially after each run.
13. Repeat step 12 ad nauseum.
14. Do not change shoes prior to race - trust me on this!! If need to change shoes, make sure to break in several, and I mean several, weeks prior to race.

Good luck!!

MosesHallDeadPot94
I forgot the most important step - on the day of the race find your pace group /if available/. Stick with them as long as you can. If you fall behind try to stay with next pace group. If all else fails, find that person with a nice figure /male or female depending on your likes/ and follow that person. Nothing will get you more motivated than chasing a nice set of legs, etc.
Tailgate88
AG
Never run a marathon, but for my first half I felt the same way and think there is lots of good advice above. Especially:

1) DON'T change anything on race day. Do the EXACT thing as on your several previous long runs. Go to sleep, get up, eat the same, hydrate and fuel the same, don't change a thing.

2) DON'T focus on time - focus on finishing and having fun for your first one. Remember, only .5% of the US population has completed a marathon. Finish, have fun, be proud.

3) https://smile.amazon.com/NipEaze-Original-Chafing-Prevention-Regular/dp/B007II2R44/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=running+nipplecovers&qid=1575831616&sr=8-3

hbc07
AG
raidernarizona said:

Very helpful and much appreciated!

I was interested in the Yasso's as an indicator of where I could expect to be, but I'll scrap those if my long Sunday runs will benefit me more.

Quote:

This means doing stretching/strengthening exercises but it also means running at the prescribed paces of the plan. Don't let your easy days creep into medium days or harder, just because you feel good.

I guess that is my biggest concern/complaint with the plan I bought. Everyday is an "Easy" day or Slow Long Distance (SLD) so I haven't really been incorporating any speed work per se. I like the idea of running the Wednesday run at or slightly faster than race pace.

I have neglected proper warm-up and recovery if I'm being honest. I looked at the Run Experience last night and got some good ideas for dynamic stretch warm ups and I'll be better with foam rolling. Thanks again!
My opinion fwiw (which is probably not worth much), for your first marathon it's better to just focus on getting the miles in and finishing the race than it is incorporating speed work in to your training. Save that for the second one once your body has adapted to the strain of training for a marathon and running that distance and you understand what you're getting into.
FIDO*98*
AG
This hasn't been said, but, watch your lines. My first marathon was a small affair and I ran 26.25 miles (per Garmin GPS watch). Last Sunday at the SA R&R I went wide around corners (especially when the half-Ms were mixed in) because I didn't want to slow my pace. Ended up running 26.5 miles
AggieOO
correct. Certified courses are measured on the tangents, don't go wide or narrow. Run the tangents.

raidernarizona
Yes, I've started trying to do that on my shorter runs that are on the small back roads near the house. Longer runs have been out on the highways so I haven't.

Sticking with the 3 week taper since Runner's World and Higdon both have it in their plans. Got 14 miles this Sunday. Pumped! It'll be the furthest I've ever run.
cadetjay02
AG
If all else fails, find that person with a nice figure /male or female depending on your likes/ and follow that person. Nothing will get you more motivated than chasing a nice set of legs, etc.

This- my half PR was spent tucked right behind a smoke show wearing a Brian Loncar Law firm shirt 10 years ago. Followed her for about 8 miles and never said a word.
raidernarizona
Completed my longest run ever yesterday. My FitBit told me I made 14.01, but Strava shortchanged me a little at 13.88. Real happy with my splits yesterday. 14 felt easier than 10 two weeks ago. Combination of cooler weather and carrying some nutrition with me.

Any other pointers for nutrition while on the course? I've been drinking Nuun at each mile. Should I be carrying plain water on longer runs also? Lastly, how do you know when to start eating (gels, chews. etc.)? Yesterday I started nibbling on SportBeans about an hour into the run and had a few Clif Bloks over the last 3-4 miles. TIA!

ptothemo
AG
I am cherry picking from your post a bit, but do you plan to carry Nuun with you during the race? Also, do you plan to carry enough for the whole race or will you need to replenish? The reason that I ask is to make sure that you don't get spoiled to that type of hydration/nutrition unless you know that you will have it on race day too. I have relatively recently switched from gels to Tailwind as my primary (if not only) fuel, and I've had to work though how the liquid based fuel is more difficult to manage while racing.
raidernarizona
Yes, I've been carrying Nuun Cherry Limeade. But I saw that Austin will have Nuun Mango so I plan to switch to that soon. So no need for gels with Tailwind? Haven't had gels in a while, but I do enjoy the Bloks. Did feel a little stomach discomfort around mile 10. Beans might be a little too sweet for me
AggieOO
tailwind has calories, so typically no need for gels. I've done as long as a 6 hour run on tailwind only. That said, during ultras I ingest other calories in addition to tailwind.

As much as I hate gels, I just do gels and water for a road marathon. One gel at mile 5, 10, 15, & 20. Its way easier to manage and I don't have to carry a bottle.
wcb
AG
AggieOO said:

One gel at mile 5, 10, 15, & 20. Its way easier to manage and I don't have to carry a bottle.
This. Nuun is good but zero calories. I highly recommend replenishing a few calories every hour. The caffeine bumps don't hurt either.
ptothemo
AG
During BCS a couple of weeks ago, I had someone hand me a bottle with Tailwind at miles four and eight and then trashed the bottle first chance after finishing it such that I was only carrying a bottle for about a mile total. I also carried a couple of gels with me as backup in the event that something went awry at either meet up spot.

Houston in January is going to be a bigger test for this plan due to how much bigger the crowd will be and how much harder it is to get around, but I am banking on planning ahead making it possible to do there.

I ran a 30k yesterday with nothing but gels that I carried with me from the start (didn't have my "crew" there), and that went fine overall. I just much prefer the way that I feel on Tailwind over the gels.

ETA - The gels that I use are the Science in Sport Isotonic ones. They are bigger than Gu (2 oz. as compared to 1 oz.) but are easier to get down and easier on the stomach for me.

CapitalCityAg
AG
Mostly confirming what has been said, but I've run Austin 5 times and here is what I would say:

(1) Get some hill work in the rest of December and in January - Austin is a hilly course. You will regret it if you don't.
(2) Don't worry about your time on your first one.
(3) Don't go out too fast; this course will punish you severely if you do.
(4) Liquid Bandage on the nipples works pretty good, but rubs off on the longest and most severe chafing days.
(5) Gels or some other form of nutrition every 45 minutes or so during the race (stretch it out longer during training runs). Your muscles need it to work right and you'll bonk if you don't.
(6) Don't skip your long runs, don't worry too much about speed work at this point but you should incorporate that into your routine for future races.
(7) Watch what you eat, especially during your taper. It is easy to put on weight when training for a marathon when the "rungries" kick in. )They say your time is affected by about 2-3 seconds per mile for every pound and my experience seems pretty close to that.)

Be glad to answer questions about the course if you have any.
raidernarizona
Thanks for all of the input everyone! I'm getting really excited.

CapCity, what do you consider "adequate hill work"? I live near Hunt so there's no shortage of hills. Most of my short runs require a few hill climbs, but admittedly, my longer runs have been much flatter. If you let me know where, I can be creative and work in some good hills into my route at the appropriate mileages. Thanks again!
CapitalCityAg
AG
Good questions. I would probably try to do hill repeats about once a week. Find a hill that is at least about 200 meters long, run up, walk down, repeat (hard to say how many because I don't know how long or steep your hill is, but shoot for 6-9 times). That's your whole workout for that day. As for your training runs, trying to incorporate some hills into the beginning (after you are good and warmed up) and the middle, so you know how it feels to finish a long run after running earlier hills. Do that starting now, back off the repeats in mid-January but keep including hills in your training runs through your taper until race week.
bert harbinson
AG
ptothemo said:

The gels that I use are the Science in Sport Isotonic ones. They are bigger than Gu (2 oz. as compared to 1 oz.) but are easier to get down and easier on the stomach for me.

Been using SIS gels for quite a while now. No need to take with water (though I usually do) and there are energy, energy+caffeine, and energy+electrolyte formulations. I've seen a few races are now providing these at aid stations. I like Tailwind too but it's not as easy to carry on a run.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.