Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Fargo?

1,307 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YokelRidesAgain
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Planning my spring race calendar and leaning toward the Fargo marathon.

Wasn't there someone here who ran that race this year (ptothemo?) Any issues to report, apart from the weather?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ptothemo
AG
Yep, that was me. I'll send you the bill from my therapist since you have re-triggered my PTSD stemming from the weather in May :-)

I don't have any issues to report and recommend the race based on my experience. The only thing that sticks with me that might be viewed as an issue is that the course has a decent number of turns and juts in it, so it will help to study beforehand to be better able to anticipate what's coming and keep tight tangents. In hindsight, I would have been better served to study a bit more than I did.

Definite positives: start in Fargodome, crowd support is great, course is flat, spectators can get around and access course easily, race swag (I know everyone isn't into this stuff, but they gave away a nice poster to all runners last year that is turning into a cool keepsake for me), and the whole town really embraces the race and week leading up to it.

Let me know if there is anything else that you would like to know, and I'll be happy to answer what I can.
JHUAggie
Yokel-

I ran the half a couple of years ago and loved it. Flat fast course.

The weather is the only concern. We had 15-20mph wind gusts out of the north but I felt blocked by the wind for most of the course except for around the Fargodome. Temps were in upper 40s low 50s if I remember correctly.

Love starting and ending in the Fargodome. It is easy to warm up and stay warm for the start, and then stay warm after the race is over. If you have kids there were several inflatable obstacles for them to play on in the dome. A cover band plays as well (big negative though since every once in a while I'll get Thunder by Imagine Dragons stuck in my head from time to time)

Great crowd support. Easy to get around the course for spectators. Easy to get to the start either by parking at the Fargodome or taking a shuttle (look at which hotels will have a shuttle stop).

I don't tend to repeat courses in short time but I will likely head back to Fargo in a few years.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Thanks all. I'm officially entered for Fargo in May. Plan for next year is Rock N Roll half in New Orleans in February, Fargo in May, City of Lakes half in Minneapolis in September, Marine Corps Marathon in October, and Rock N Roll half in Vegas in November. Unless I luck into an NYC slot next year.

Happy running!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.