Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Shoes Thread

13,772 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiespartan
Nosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just picked up a pair of 361 strata 3. My back has been hurting so I dropped coin on a pair. So far so good. I like the stability, snug fit, and especially the cushioning. It's a very comfortable shoe.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'll take a look at those. Other ones I've tried, including (I think) Sof Sole, try to add cushion. In spite of what people think, the shoe should provide the cushion and the insole support. Its weird with high arch neutrals like us: we don't need stability in terms of pronation stability, but support in terms of arches "flattening" out (if you will) when you run. It took me a long time to figure that out and I'm afraid those who aren't high arch and neutral just don't know.
Geriatric Punk
AG
AgCanuck07 said:

I like my Altra Escalantes.
They are super comfortable. My body just never adjusted to the zero drop like I thought it would, though.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
wessimo
AG
Saucony Ride for training runs and Saucony Kinvara for races.
K Bo
AG
Picked up some NB 1080v10 today, put a couple miles on them, and I think I'll like them for longer runs. I found a cheap pair of NB FF Beacon v1 that I'll use for shorter/quick runs.
c-jags
K Bo said:

Picked up some NB 1080v10 today, put a couple miles on them, and I think I'll like them for longer runs. I found a cheap pair of NB FF Beacon v1 that I'll use for shorter/quick runs.

I have 1080v8s with 500+ miles and have very little wear on them. Good shoe. Definitely made for distance not tempo.

I think MexAgs runs in them and he's a far superior runner than myself.
K Bo
bert harbinson
AG
I've started wearing Escalantes to work once or twice a week. Comfortable to run in, but a joy to walk around in. The calf and Achilles get a milder, more beneficial stretch compared to the traumatic stretch of running in zero drops. You can get them in all-black too.
Snap E Tom
wessimo said:

Saucony Ride for training runs and Saucony Kinvara for races.
Are you me? Because this is my same setup. I swap out the insoles with Superfeet green insoles.
TAM85
Has anyone tried the Hoka Clifton 5?
Sub4
AG
Yep, I'm using a pair right now. I've been using Clifton since the first model and I like them well enough.
bam02
AG
TAM85 said:

Has anyone tried the Hoka Clifton 5?

I just bought some. Haven't transitioned to them from my older cliftons. Seems to fit a bit narrower but ok. Will report back as I start to use them in the coming weeks.
TAM85
Thanks
ktownag08
AG
Did a full fitting this morning at Fleet Feet. High arches, narrow heels.

Tried on 6 different pairs. Walked out with Saucony Triumph 17s. Fit like a glove and seemingly offer the comfort I'm looking for on longer distances. They felt the best on the treadmill. Time will tell I suppose and will use the 69 day return policy if need be.

Mizuno follow by Hoka were next in line favorites. Brooks Ghost just felt odd on my foot.

I'll continue to use my Asics DynaFlye on shorter/faster runs though. Just needed more comfort on the long runs.
AggieEP
Since I'm on a 1000 mile pace this year I've been running through more shoes than normal this year and found a new favorite. I've run for years in Pegasuses but the 35 was awful for some reason so this year i bought a pair of ultra boosts which are ok for easy days but i also bought a pair of Nike Epic React 2's and holy cow they are fast shoes. I'm not sure how durable they are going to be but I picked up a pair for 65 bucks and it's been a steal so far.
Gordon McKernan
I want a shoe that will offer a good bit of comfort & support for a lot of upcoming Zone 2, slow, easy runs trying to build my mileage up.

What I don't really like is the real clunky, bigger feeling shoes you often find in this category. I am currently in Brooks Ghost 9's and while they are alright they have always felt clunky to me.

Lastly, I'm not looking to drop a crazy high amount on a pair of shoes so preference would go to the more budget friendly shoes out there.

Any recs?
AggieEP
NB FF Beacon is a lightweight cushion shoe that has had some great reviews put out on it. I think you could snag a pair for like 75 bucks if you look around enough.
Gordon McKernan
AggieEP said:

NB FF Beacon is a lightweight cushion shoe that has had some great reviews put out on it. I think you could snag a pair for like 75 bucks if you look around enough.
Thanks for the rec! I watched a few YouTube reviews on these & saw NB was running a sale. I searched around and saw JackRabbit had them for $72 and went ahead and ordered a pair. Should be here next week & i'll try to remember to give an update with my first impressions after a couple runs in them.
AggieEP
I'll be interested to hear how you like the Beacons. At the rate I'm putting miles on my current pair, I might try and hunt myself some early replacements.
K Bo
AG
I love my FF Beacon V1. I'm on my 4th pair and getting close to needing a new pair. I'll probably hunt for a pair of V1 but might have to jump on the V2 sales. So light and have enough cushion for my runs, typically 3-8mi of varying speeds.
TRM
AG
Anyone try on NB 880 v10? I tried them on before the shelter in place and they felt off in the midsole compared to the v9 I have. Is it just me or did anyone have the same feeling?
Gordon McKernan
AggieEP said:

I'll be interested to hear how you like the Beacons. At the rate I'm putting miles on my current pair, I might try and hunt myself some early replacements.
I'm no expert on running shoes but I am comparing them vs. Ghost 9's and I love these things compared to those.

They don't feel clunky, they feel light on my feet & not restrictive, and plenty of foam padding. I feel much faster in them although I haven't done much hard running in them yet, mainly just 3-6 mi easy jogs.

Time will tell once I start ramping the mileage up some more but so far so good. I usually wear an 11 in most shoes but went with 10.5's in these & they fit perfect.

Thanks for the rec!
AgLiving06
Bumping this thread.

I'm working on increasing the frequency and distance of my runs. I've been doing all my runs in my Brooks PureFlows.

I'm wondering if I should look at some Hokas or other shoes for more comfort on my long runs and keep the Brooks for the shorter speed runs?

Ragoo
AG
m.stat said:

Went from Brooks Ghost to Hoka Clifton's recently and happy so far. Good cushion and very stable.
I made this switch too. The Cliftons are so much more enjoyable to run in.
K Bo
AG
I've tried most variations of the Cliftons but with Morton's Neuroma the toe box is just too narrow. Trying them in EE results in too wide a midfoot and heel cup.

I've been running in New Balance 1080v10 for most daily runs and absolutely love them (on my 3rd pair). 1080 v11 comes out in mid-Feb and I plan to give those a shot since the upper remains relatively unchanged with only slight changes to the missile. I also Just picked up a pair of NB Fresh Foam Beacon v3 to try as I loved v1 but did not like v2. Aside from those I run in NB Fuel Cell Prizm or Fuel Cell Rebels for faster paced runs.
wcb
AG
AgLiving06 said:

I'm working on increasing the frequency and distance of my runs. I've been doing all my runs in my Brooks PureFlows.

I'm wondering if I should look at some Hokas or other shoes for more comfort on my long runs and keep the Brooks for the shorter speed runs?
Give the Brooks Glycerin a look as well. Probably their most cushioned shoe.
JoeOlson
AG
I think the Brooks Transcend may be their most cushioned shoe. Done a few marathons in them and it's a solid, comfortable shoe. I typically run in either Hoka Ones, Saucony iso or my Transcends, but I'm also way slower than I used to be. Probably a result of always wearing very cushioned shoes! May pick up something a bit quicker when I can take the baby out running
NoahAg
Any other Skechers fans? I've gone through 10 pairs of Brooks Ghost. Then went w/ Hoka Rincon which I loved.
I PR'd in Skechers a couple years ago. Now I'm in Skechers again.

I like supporting my local running store, and I may go back to Hoka sometime, but when I can buy 2 pairs of Skechers for $90 it's hard to turn down.
Motot
AG
Sketchers are great, and cheap. I have a pair of Go Ride 7's (I think) that have 800+ miles on them and a pair of Go Meb something or others that I got on Running Warehouse for $59. Very light, good race shoes.

Maybe not the best on styling, but at 5:30 in the morning, it doesn't make much difference.
Bert315
AG
Brooks Glycerins are my go to.
NoahAg
sbtxag13 said:

Sketchers are great, and cheap. I have a pair of Go Ride 7's (I think) that have 800+ miles on them and a pair of Go Meb something or others that I got on Running Warehouse for $59. Very light, good race shoes.

Maybe not the best on styling, but at 5:30 in the morning, it doesn't make much difference.
I've liked all 5 (different) pairs I've had. Haven't paid more than $65 for a pair.
Only thing I don't like is their model branding. They have like a dozen different models that just say "GoRun."
Hey...so.. um
Bert315 said:

Brooks Glycerins are my go to.

I'm a launch guy since the first one. Love brooks though. Great company!
AgLiving06
wcb said:

AgLiving06 said:

Give the Brooks Glycerin a look as well. Probably their most cushioned shoe.

Thanks. There's a Fleet Feet somewhere near me I may go check out later this week.

I don't mind running in the PureFlows but hoping to get something to take some of the strain off my feet and knees as I do long runs.
agcivengineer
AG
Ive been running in addidas Ultra Boosts and love them. I used to run in Brooks Ghost, but switched more for sake of change than anything. After 500 miles, the Ultraboosts are in much better condition than Ghosts were.
ptothemo
AG
Related to choosing shoes that are a good fit for the person and the running habits, I read this article recently. I don't think that there is anything that is earth shattering here, but I did find it interesting to read about the research and methods that are going into getting people in the right shoes for them. Given where things stand, it's hard to take a lot away from this other than "find shoes that feel right to you", but the running nerd in me enjoyed the read.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2420016/habitual-motion-path-research-running
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.