Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Shoes Thread

13,774 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiespartan
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some new shoes.

Been running in Brooks Ghost and Adrenaline for the last several years.

My supination is such that I think I would like to try something different.

Mainly run on concrete sidewalks and paved trails along Buffalo Bayou.

Thanks
c-jags
Everybody has different feet and differing shoes work for different people.

Personally Brooks Ghosts are my favorite shoes I've ever run in.

I'm currently road running in:

Adidas Solar Drive Boosts - wanted to try boosts and I really surprisingly love them. Especially for $35.
Brooks Anthem 2 - meh. Not Brooks' best, but not terrible. I'll go back to the ghosts probably.
NB 1080 - good cushion and good for tempo. Have 500 miles on them and they look and feel brand new.
Saucony Nova - shoes I keep in the car for travel. If you're a casual runner they're great.

I still think we should have a master thread for this. ETA: I have no supi- or pronation issues do you can ignore if none of those work for nators.
boboguitar
AG
Not going to directly help you as you run in a shoe with a lot of heel cushion but for anyone who runs in low drop shoes, I recently went from Brooks PureFlow to the Altra Torin and man, I haven't seen a change of shoes show such a huge improvement in my running. They give you a ton of width around the toes to spread out instead of squishing them together. Very minimal cushioning + a very low mid and very comfortable. I've really enjoyed them in the last 2 months I've been running in them and have drastically dropped my pace since wearing them.
Ragoo
AG
Well, I just gave a reference. Not necessarily needing or wanting to remain in shoes with a lot of heel cushion. In fact maybe the opposite. The heels shows a lot of wear because of the cushion. I need to run more out on the mid of my foot. I heel strike too much.
c-jags
Ragoo said:

I geek strike too much.

Ragoo
boboguitar
AG
Ragoo said:

Well, I just gave a reference. Not necessarily needing or wanting to remain in shoes with a lot of heel cushion. In fact maybe the opposite. The heels shows a lot of wear because of the cushion. I need to run more out on the mid of my foot. I geek strike too much.
PureFlow is probably a good transition. You'll need to spend a few weeks focusing on the mechanics of how you run as you try to learn to strike mid-foot. Speed workouts are a really good time to do that as you'll naturally position your body forward which will help where you touch down. Also recommend researching running technique as well.

You will find your calves being sore for the first few weeks as they will get more work due to the new running position.
AggieOO
Ragoo said:

I need some new shoes.

Been running in Brooks Ghost and Adrenaline for the last several years.

My supination is such that I think I would like to try something different.

Mainly run on concrete sidewalks and paved trails along Buffalo Bayou.

Thanks

If you supinate, you definitely don't need a stability shoe. My guess is you used the wrong term. Supination + adrenaline would be pretty gnarly. Very few people actually supinate.

I'd suggest going to get fit at a reputable running shop.
AggieOO
Also, there is ZERO wrong with heel striking as long as you aren't over-pronating.

Change your foot strike is likely to result in injury without doing a slow transition.
Ragoo
AG
I have a very high arch, narrow heel, and wide metatarsals. I definitely put most of my weight on the outside of my foot when I step.
AggieOO
I still doubt you supinate. Regardless, an adrenaline is likely a terrible shoe for you.

Go get fitted.
beanbean
boboguitar said:

Not going to directly help you as you run in a shoe with a lot of heel cushion but for anyone who runs in low drop shoes, I recently went from Brooks PureFlow to the Altra Torin and man, I haven't seen a change of shoes show such a huge improvement in my running. They give you a ton of width around the toes to spread out instead of squishing them together. Very minimal cushioning + a very low mid and very comfortable. I've really enjoyed them in the last 2 months I've been running in them and have drastically dropped my pace since wearing them.
I run in Torins also. Love them.
bert harbinson
AG
Lots of recent miles in New Balance Beacons...available in wide sizes, good amount of cushion, 6mm drop gives the calves a break over my preferred Altras. Like the Torins (though a little clunky), love the Escalantes...about ready for my third pair of each. The wide toe box is key.
BlackLab
AG
Brooks levitate.
drivinwest
AG
Same here. Best shoe series I've ever used. Although my latest pair (4) have developed an annoying squeak 300 miles in.
Sooner Born
AggieOO said:

Also, there is ZERO wrong with heel striking as long as you aren't over-pronating.

Change your foot strike is likely to result in injury without doing a slow transition.
Truth. I'm a heel striker unless I"m in an all out sprint and do just fine.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Love my ghosts. Also love the asics kayano that I use in the alternate.

My question is: anyone rocking the Nike Vapor? After the whole "sub 2 hour marathon" marketing stunt, I expect to seem them everywhere.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
AggieOO
the price tag is probably why you don't "see them everywhere."
Geriatric Punk
AG
No joke. Dumb.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
bigtruckguy3500
For those that like the Altras, you should look at Topo shoes. I've got the ST2 and found it much more roomy and flexible where I like it.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I had some knee pain that kicked in at mile 4 of a 5 mile run yesterday and my knee was throbbing last night. Turns out my shoe had a 4 inch tear between the sole and the fabric on the outside of my right foot.

Went to fleet feet just now and they measured my feet. I was also wearing a size 12 instead of a 13. Got some new balance 880's with some support inserts. Feels good today, will see after work if the knee pain is still there.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
K Bo
AG
you running in version 1 or version 2? I am on my 3rd pair of v1 and about to need a new pair. I am thinking about trying the v2 but I've read some things about the upper in the v2 vs the v1 that make me want to hunt another pair of v1.
bert harbinson
AG
Beacon V1. Just bought my second pair (Zappos $72). Like you I was very happy with V1 and with the price drop it was an easy decision. I'm sure I'll try version 2 at some point.
aTm_bomb
AG
Ive been really happy with my Brooks Glycerin's since I was just starting out with distance running but thought about trying ghosts next and save a few bucks.
NoahAg
My last "fitting" was at least 6-7 years ago. Most of my running/marathoning since then has been in Brooks Ghost, probably 9-10 pair. I wore Brooks Launch in my race last week, but I think I want a little more cushion.

I've decided to go back to the local running store and see what they suggest. I'm interested in checking out some of the newer, smaller brands I've never tried like Altra, Hoka.

Fwiw, I think people still snicker at Skechers but I PR'd in a pair of Ride 7 back in March. Put 500 miles on them and they're still comfortable just for daily wear.
ptothemo
AG
I just got a pair of Hoka Rincons a couple of days ago after having not worn them before. I was looking for something that was a bit softer than my day to day shoes (Nike Pegasus) but not too heavy and not completely lose responsiveness. I put five really easy miles on them yesterday and really liked them for the purposes of recovery type stuff.
agcivengineer
AG
Anyone use 361 degree shoes? Im thinking of switching to those from brooks ghost
94chem
Nike Downshifter. $45. Neutral. 25 miles/wk. No problems.
m.stat
AG
Went from Brooks Ghost to Hoka Clifton's recently and happy so far. Good cushion and very stable.
NoahAg
I came home from the running store with a pair of Rincons last night. I look forward to using them tomorrow.

I was torn so I also had them order a pair of Diadoras. I didn't even know they made running shoes.
Post removed:
by user
NoahAg
Ran 6 easy in the Hoka Rincon yesterday. 10 a bit faster today. So far so good.

Very light for a cushioned shoe (or good cushion for a light shoe). I was little cautious with the lower heel drop; 5mm compared to the 8mm I think in the Launch and Ghosts I'd been wear. But they feel great and very natural.
AgCanuck07
AG
I like my Altra Escalantes.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Ragoo said:

I have a very high arch, narrow heel, and wide metatarsals. I definitely put most of my weight on the outside of my foot when I step.

FINALLY, someone who lives in my world. I'd recommend the Brooks Glycerin or the Hoka Bondi. I have both (for different uses). Keep in mind you may want some insoles. I wear the Sole insoles:

Sole Insoles
Ragoo
AG
Awesome. I do have these currently.

https://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Womens-13-14-11-12/dp/B0154NZ4NU/ref=asc_df_B0154NZ4NU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312031441581&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2498686012418291489&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1026334&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-395560118314&psc=1
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.