Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Running Shoes Thread

13,781 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiespartan
JDL 96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ASICS Keyano. 10 plus years. I routinely run them too long before I swap in new ones. But no issues.
CFTXAG10
AG
Academy was doing an additional 30% off clearance sale. I picked up some Saucony Triumph 18's for $60. Retail was $150 originally.

They had a lot of options if anyone is looking
K Bo
AG
I recently picked up a pair of New Balance Fuel Cell Rebel V2 and they're the best shoes I've ever run in. Incredibly light & responsive, very good energy return, and cushioned enough for my longer runs. Most of all, they fit my feet perfectly (morton's neuroma in my left foot). They might not be enough for a full marathon but they are perfect for the running I am doing right now.
bert harbinson
AG
I just got my pair of Rebel V2s. Still running in V1, but looking forward to trying the 2s this week. Rebels have been great for anything faster paced, from intervals up to HM, and they're available in wide.
K Bo
AG
I think the V2 are a completely different shoe. If you like the V1 I think you will love the V2.
Ragoo
AG
Clifton 8s out today.
TXamc06
AG
Prob on pace for 1500 or so miles this year. After deciding to try something new (Hoka Arahi) to spice things up a bit - I went back, almost immediately, to Brooks Adrenaline. Never wavered from the Brooks Cascadias for trail running...2 50k(s) this year with no issues!

After my experience with Hoka's...I'd rather run a marathon in high top baseball cleats.
Ragoo
AG
Wild. I feel the exact same but opposite about brooks. Like running in goretex hunting boots.
TXamc06
AG
All personal preference I reckon. I hated the arch support, the toe box, pretty much everything about the shoe.

They looked cool / futuristic and I still like the aesthetic so I wear them as a casual shoe. Tried to eke out 100 miles in them but just couldn't do it.
strbrst777
I started running in 1973. First pair of running shoes was the yellow waffle sole Nike. I've gone through around100 pair of shoes in around 45,000 miles of running. I have bought most brands. Most were New Balance D width. I had not heard of Altra until a month ago. I bought a pair...my new favorite. I like the "softer landing" and the wide toe-box. Cost $140 plus tax...well worth the cost-my opinion.
BCG Disciple
AG
Any Smart Shoe recommendations?
K Bo
AG
I don't know anything about smart shoes (I actually had to look them up) but why not look in to a foot pod, like Stryd, or something that you can attach to shoes you like wearing?
AggieOO
i guess the idea of smart shoes is nice, but not sure it makes sense to me. I wear shoes out pretty quickly, so i seems like a waste of money to then just be throwing out the shoe with the technology. Maybe if it was something similar to the old Nike+ shoes that had a sensor that fit in a spot under the insole. I have stryd and it is easy to move from shoe to shoe, especially since i have different shoes for different runs. That said, it would be nice to have something that is waterproof. Sucks to train with something and then not be able to use that on race day b/c there are multiple water crossings or lots of rain.
BCG Disciple
AG
K Bo said:

I don't know anything about smart shoes (I actually had to look them up) but why not look in to a foot pod, like Stryd, or something that you can attach to shoes you like wearing?

Will look in to it. i like the idea of learning more about how my foot hits the ground, gait improvements, etc. I'm getting older (40) and can feel it more in my knees and ankles and have been told there is a lot more to running posture than simply running. Would probably do it for a few pairs of shoes before I grab something more comfortable.

I'm also interested in tech a data like this, so it may be completely unnecessary
AggieEP
I'm a frequent flier on Saucony's website so they sent me a 25% off coupon I don't need since I already get 25% off as a military member.

So if anyone wants to use it.

RZ3-XR6-B3C-B9Q

Endorphin Speed and Endorphin Pro are both on sale right now too, so you could score a killer deal if anyone is interested.
ptothemo
AG
I am getting close to looking for new daily trainers and am curious about a couple of different options.

Currently:

Nike Pegasus 38 - they are pretty good for me.- the 36 was my favorite shoe around and the 37 was not a good fit for me - 39 is due out in a few weeks
Brooks Launch 7 - had multiple pairs of the 5 and 6, too - 8's were DOA and a waste of money
Reebok Floatride Energy 3 - they are just okay

Thinking about:

Saucony Ride
Asics Dynaflyte (I ran a bunch in earlier versions of these but haven't in years)
Adidas Boston

Anyone have experience with the latter three and/or comparisons to the former three? Any others that I should be researching and thinking about?

The basic qualifications that I am looking for is a neutral shoe that is not too heavy but does have a bit of protection and can stand up to the miles. Specifically, they can't be plated, and they don't need to be suited to really high-end tempo, speed work, or racing as I have shoes for those things.

ETA - I'll be going in to try things on, I'm just trying to research and narrow my options a bit before I do.
zachsccr
AG
Running on some Boston 10s right now.
I've loved and run in every Boston since, I think, inception. This is their biggest deviation so far. Mine have the 5 carbon rods in them for a little more energy return. They are tall and soft but have enough pop that they don't feel squishy. Honesty remind me a lot of how I felt in the Pegasus 36 (you're right. Those were awesome).
My Boston 10s are a solid daily use shoe. I only have about 50-75 miles on them so far so I can't speak for durability, but the Continental rubber has never let me down.
ptothemo
AG
Thank you. I am not sure how I missed that they made such substantial changes to the 10's, but I definitely did. The stack height and rods make them not what I'm looking for right now, so that narrows my list a bit. Thanks again!
Motot
AG
Possibly Kinvara if you are wanting a lower drop. May not get a ton of miles out of those, however.

If you can find them, the older Bostons last forever and are a great firm trainer. Don't know why they changed them up so much.

Perhaps look at Sketchers, they have some good light neutral trainers.
Sweep4-2
Retired my Saucony Ride 14's today and ended up buying a shoe I never even considered previously -- a pair of Hoka Bondi 7's. Didn't plan to buy a max. cushioning trainer, but decided to take a chance since I'm increasing mileage for an August trail run.

After 5 miles, I'm really not liking them. Feel mushy and big compared to my usual shoes (Endorphin Speed 2's). Anyone else bring a max cushion shoe into their rotation? Do you get used to the cushion eventually?
AggieOO
running shoes are all individual preference. you'll have to give them more runs and see if you like them. i'd try not to make a final judgement until you get 20-30 miles on them.
AgCanuck07
AG
I've been a loyal Altra Escalante fan for many years and have worn out countless pairs from the 1.0s through 2.5s. However, I am concerned that they have revamped the shoes for their 3.0 model and may have lost the thread on what made them great. According to early reviews, the toe box is more narrow, changed the upper, and they have added weight (a little over half an ounce). They seem to say that Altra is wanting the Escalante to be more versatile than just for running. I hope that the changes aren't super noticeable but I fear that I will be stocking up on old models....
aggiespartan
AG
Sweep4-2 said:

Retired my Saucony Ride 14's today and ended up buying a shoe I never even considered previously -- a pair of Hoka Bondi 7's. Didn't plan to buy a max. cushioning trainer, but decided to take a chance since I'm increasing mileage for an August trail run.

After 5 miles, I'm really not liking them. Feel mushy and big compared to my usual shoes (Endorphin Speed 2's). Anyone else bring a max cushion shoe into their rotation? Do you get used to the cushion eventually?
The endorphin speed 2 feels more cushy to me than any of my Hokas, but I don't really like the Bondi as much as my other Hokas. I get a weird foot feel with them that I can't really explain. It makes my foot bend at a weird angle or something.
ptothemo
AG
I am not sure if the Nike Infinity qualifies as max cushioning, but it has to be toward that end of the spectrum. They were definitely an adjustment, but I really like them now. One caveat is that I only use them for recovery runs or easy runs when I feel my legs are beat to hell.

Running in them was definitely an adjustment for me due to the weight and underfoot feel. My first few runs in them, I felt like I couldn't get my foot going back up and that it was sinking into the ground on each stride.

The Bondi is a very different shoe from the Endorphin Speed 2 and is quite different from even the Ride, so you are definitely going to have an adjustment period. To each their own, but you may think about another shoe or two that has more energy return and snap (the Ride is an example) in rotation with the Bondi.
RustyBoltz
AG
I just picked up a pair of Escalante Racers and the new Torins. I love Altra's and will likely never switch, but dang their product design team needs to be more consistent.
I got the email about the 3.0's too and they look like they are changing it to a lifestyle shoe.
ptothemo
AG
One more thing that I should ask - does the Ride fit true to size, or did you need to go up or down a half size? My local running store doesn't have them in stock right now, so I am going to order them online.
Sweep4-2
Thanks for the feedback y'all, much appreciated. I'm going to keep running in the Bondi for the next couple weeks and see how it goes.

As far as the Size/fit of the Ride 15, I can't say. They were out of my regular size (13) so I tried a 12.5 on and it felt tight. I think a size 13 would have been fine though but can't say for sure.
Sweep4-2
Update on the Hoka Bondi 7's. After 20 miles of very relaxed running in them, I gave up and took them back to the running shoe store. I planned to give them longer, but they felt worse every mile.

Exchanged them for a pair of Saucony Ride 15. Out of my size, but the pair 1/2 size smaller felt great so am waiting for my size on-order.

ptothemo
AG
I have a pair of Ride 15 and a pair of Launch 9 arriving tomorrow. Pretty excited about both after researching them. Still waiting on Nike to release the new Peg, but they are delaying that for some reason. I am getting close to wearing a couple pairs out and couldn't wait much longer to start rotating some new ones in.
aggiespartan
AG
So I have a new problem that has come up over my last couple of runs. My toes have started cramping, like when you wake up in the middle of the night with a leg cramp kind of cramp. I can work it out so that it's manageable, but has anybody had this problem? I've been wearing the same shoes, but I've found that I can feel it when I'm walking around barefoot too. My current shoes are a 5mm drop.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.