Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Aftershokz XTrainerz Review

1,291 Views | 0 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wcb
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Figured some of you would like this info. Forgive my DC Rainmaker length review

xtrainerz.aftershokz.com

These just came out this past week. I somehow found a pair on eBay a couple weeks ago for $135 + no tax & no shipping. Been using them the last couple weeks.

First test was outside at sons flag football practice. Listened to a podcast (Football Fact Shek). Windy, little bit of football practice noise. Initially surprised max volume wasn't really loud. Listened at 2 levels below max. Very clear.
Easy to get distracted with being able to hear outside noise. Initially feel like I have to concentrate a little more than usual but maybe it's just being mindful of the new technology.

Second test was at the gym. Stretching and core work, partially out amongst the main area (TVs and radio going) but mostly in the yoga/exercise class room (no sound). Again listened to a few podcasts (Matt & Kim Podcast, The Tony Kornheiser Show). Started loud but ended up listening at about 4 clicks below max. Easy to understand. Sound quality great.

Then I switched to the pool. The headphones come with earplugs but I forgot to bring them. Swam 500m and it was very bass heavy. Then I remembered there was a swim mode. I switched to it and it instantly sounded better. Swim mode cuts the bass in favor of treble. For the last 100m or so I switched to Tool. I could make out the music and words but there was definitely a lot of noise without the earplugs.

Third test was more gym and pool. This time I remembered the earplugs and they made a big difference. I have a SYRYN swim MP3 player (www.amazon.com/dp/B018YKTD1Y) but don't really like it. I've tried a couple different sizes of the buds and I have to JAM them in my ear for them to make a seal and then they inevitability leak and once they leak you are done. You can't hear squat. These are worlds better. Comfortable and clear. I can make out the music and words just fine. Make no mistake it isn't a crystal clear musical experience in the water but it good quality and good enough to listen to and provide a distraction from the endless laps. The main noise interference for me is that I am exhaling through my nose and the bubbles of course float right by my ears.

Fourth test. Yard work. Up until now I've just used the standard earbuds that come with my iPhone and cranked it to overcome the noise of the mower. I mowed today for over an hour using earplugs I bought at Home Depot (https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Reusable-Corded-Earplugs-3-Pack-90716-3-10DC/202195388). Wow. Big improvement. Again not a crystal clear sound but I could easily listen to the music with relative clarity at about 4 clicks below max. Towards the end my jaw had a little fatigue which I've read can happen especially when new to using bone conduction.

So overall I am very pleased. I haven't used them to run or bike (outside or on trainer), but I'm very pleased with their performance in the pool and for yard work.

Some pluses:
+ Easy to use and put songs on. Let's you put things in folders which is nice. Let's me have a podcast folder and a music folder to switch between. The buttons are also easy to use.
+ Controls are quick to learn and easy to use.
+ Sound great in the water
+ Very light and well made

Minus:
- Really wish they would have included Bluetooth. I listen to podcasts while stretching and doing core work and it's annoying to have to download the podcast, hook up my MacBook, and load it each day if I want that days podcast. Ultimately I think I'll invest in another pair of traditional in ear wireless headphones that are Bluetooth and focus more on sound quality for this type of scenario, for when I do long trainer rides and want to stream a movie, for plane rides etc. These are definitely not a one pair of headphones for everything type pair.

Overall I really like them. To me they are well worth the price for the swimming and yard work aspect, plus the ability to run and not have to bring my phone.

I'll post more updates if I have further impression.
wcb
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Swam with them for the first time last night. Audio was good. Even better was that they simply didn't move. I had a waterproof iPod with headphones and usually had to adjust the headphones every lap or two.

Highly recommended for anyone doing lots of pool time. I agree that I wish they also supported Bluetooth; I'm guessing that is coming down the road at some point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.