Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

E-Bikes

2,353 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, I'm getting annoyed at the popularity of these. On my ride this morning, I encountered 3 of them on a 20 or so mile stretch down white oak bayou and back. One, dude was going about 25 serving through crowds. Second, guy just cruising same speed as me, just to my left with his front wheel even with my back. I eventually slowed and told him to go on. Third, guy trying to beat a light and swerve around a family at the same time and ended up wiping out on the curb.

Are these things legal on bike and hike trails that have no motor vehicle signs?

I think the biggest issue with them are most people on them are ass hats going 25-30 mph in crowded areas and these people have no business going that fast.

Don't get me wrong, there are dumb cyclists out there, but at least the majority of them going 20+mph are somewhere experienced and half ass know what they're doing.....
Nitro Power
AG
No offense to people here who might ride them, but ebike is not real cycling
When you fall to your knees and ask God for help, don’t forget to fall back on your knees and say ‘thank you’ when He answers.- Steve Torrence
culdeus
AG
The ones in Austin people rent go stupid fast and people can't get them slowed down
ATM9000
AG
I don't own or ride an ebike... but almost all of them go no faster than 20 MPH which is slower than a decently trained road biker goes.

With that being said, nobody has any business going over 15 mph or so on a shared hike and bike trail in my opinion. Want to go faster than that? Go hit the open road. I live on and both bike and run Terry Hershey pretty often and it's annoying to get buzzed by (especially when I'm running) the Lance Armstrong wannabes whipping around the 10 ft wide trail with their 2-4 man pelotons.
htxag09
AG
I can tell you one flew by me today when I was doing 18-20. So I do know some go faster than that.
hbc07
AG
ATM9000 said:

I don't own or ride an ebike... but almost all of them go no faster than 20 MPH which is slower than a decently trained road biker goes.

With that being said, nobody has any business going over 15 mph or so on a shared hike and bike trail in my opinion. Want to go faster than that? Go hit the open road. I live on and both bike and run Terry Hershey pretty often and it's annoying to get buzzed by (especially when I'm running) the Lance Armstrong wannabes whipping around the 10 ft wide trail with their 2-4 man pelotons.
It depends on the brand, but a number of trek bikes will go up to 28mph
abacavir
htxag09 said:

At the risk of sounding like an old man yelling at clouds, I'm getting annoyed at the popularity of these. On my ride this morning, I encountered 3 of them on a 20 or so mile stretch down white oak bayou and back. One, dude was going about 25 serving through crowds. Second, guy just cruising same speed as me, just to my left with his front wheel even with my back. I eventually slowed and told him to go on. Third, guy trying to beat a light and swerve around a family at the same time and ended up wiping out on the curb.

Are these things legal on bike and hike trails that have no motor vehicle signs?

I think the biggest issue with them are most people on them are ass hats going 25-30 mph in crowded areas and these people have no business going that fast.

Don't get me wrong, there are dumb cyclists out there, but at least the majority of them going 20+mph are somewhere experienced and half ass know what they're doing.....
Were they wearing full Lance Armstrong kit?
chipotle
I'm wanting to get a conversion kit for my bike. Looks like fun.
txags92
AG
I know that they are not allowed on the carriage paths in Acadia National Park because they are considered a motorized vehicle. Not sure where other jurisdictions stand on that...
BTD
Wait, bikers don't like people who don't follow rules of the road. Interesting
txags92
AG
Correct, there are plenty of us that hate other riders when we see them blocking traffic unnecessarily, running stop signs, etc. Particularly because we know that folks like you will blame all of us for those bad actions by a few. So I hope you understand that I also despise you personally for all the bad driving I have seen by motorists...you are a terrible person because of all the things I have seen those other drivers do.
ATM9000
AG
BTD said:

Wait, bikers don't like people who don't follow rules of the road. Interesting

Everybody... and I mean everybody breaks laws on the road either consciously or not. I think it is laughable when people get all suddenly become laser focused internet beaurocrats with cyclists.

Everybody gets all bent out of shape when a cyclist blows through a stop sign 'cuz the rules! Meanwhile most studies show motor vehicles roll stop signs over half the time in the absence of other cars. Both of those things are a sign of not fully paying attention which is bad... but I give the cyclist a hell of a better chance avoiding an unseen hazard in that scenario than a car driver who is tuned out.
htxag09
AG
Derail in place....

FWIW, I strongly believe that motorists don't hate cyclists because they run stop signs or red lights. That's just a convenient excuse and scapegoat. They simply hate cyclists because they slightly inconvenience them....
Woods Ag
AG
Idk about ebikes but those escooters are bad ass. I look forward to my trips to Tulsa and OKC just bc I rent those and cruise downtown between meetings and in the evenings. Yesterday I road around for a total of an hour for about $8. Cheapest fun around

I'm also a child in an adults body tho
ATM9000
AG
htxag09 said:

Derail in place....

FWIW, I strongly believe that motorists don't hate cyclists because they run stop signs or red lights. That's just a convenient excuse and scapegoat. They simply hate cyclists because they slightly inconvenience them....

I mean... that's really obvious. I'll go one step further and say they hate cyclists because they look different than a standard motor vehicle.
Woods Ag
AG
I hate the other motorists too. Would prefer if I didn't have to share anything
Vernada
AG
Everyone drives and makes mistakes/pushes boundaries.

Not everyone rides a bike. And of those that do, few do it on the road acting like a motor vehicle when it suits them - and like a pedestrian when it doesn't.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I wouldn't mind having an e-mountain bike to help my lazy ass up the hills.
But most of the trails I ride here in Oregon have banned them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.