Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

How much does sleep affect gains?

1,866 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
ElGoatarod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I read often that sleep plays a big role in building muscle. But just how big a role?

I've got little kids and rarely get adequate sleep. I workout (mainly strength but also some CrossFit stuff) about 4x a week. Just curious to know how big an impact my years of sleep deprivation are having on my ability to add muscle and recover.
Thanks!
Post removed:
by user
lazuras_dc
AG
Most likely more than we all think
Kool
AG
Sleep deprivation definitely has an effect on muscle mass.
https://www.issaonline.com/blog/index.cfm/2018/does-lack-of-sleep-hinder-muscle-growth
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieOO
find the Joe Rogan podcast with the sleep doc. its crazy how much sleep affects everything.
94chem
It only hurts gains a little. It will kill mad gainz, though, bruh.

ElGoatarod
AG
AggieOO said:

find the Joe Rogan podcast with the sleep doc. its crazy how much sleep affects everything.

Having listened to this podcast I now feel everyone ought to hear it. I was blown away by just how much our sleep affects our ability to do just about everything.
ElGoatarod
AG
Very informative article. Thanks for sharing it.
Post removed:
by user
O.G.
I know a gentleman that researches sleep, a lot, at TAMU. He and I have chatted about it quite a bit, especially when I was going through some serious sleep issues.

According to him, it is not "a" reason that our bodies recover, it is "the" reason. Your muscles can not "gain" if they can not recover, so you owe it to yourself to rest/sleep.
monarch
S
...its crazy how much sleep affects everything.

Agree 110%; for those of you still trying to do so, the body cant and wont survive on 4-5 hrs of sleep per day. Got to have min of 7-8 hrs/day.

Peace for Ukraine!
Dad
AG
I am watching the podcast on youtube right now.

It has some good information that I think I will put to use.

My problem is that I have a hard time falling asleep earlier, but this guy was talking about students doing better when schools start later in the morning. I technically can set my own hours so I may consider starting my work day at 8:30 if I can't learn to fall asleep earlier.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
My problem is that I wake up 3-4 times a night. Can never sleep a whole night through. Everyday around 3pm I am yawning and bottoming out. I hate it.
P.U.T.U
AG
I lived off of ~5 hours of sleep for 15 years or so, the older I get the more sleep I need or I get sick. I try to aim for 7 hours a night but it is not that easy with kids sometimes.
Phat32
AG
Check out your diet. During my first whole 30, my sleep did a 180z
AggieDruggist89
AG
third coast.. said:

i wish i could tell my kids they need to sleep in so daddy can make some sick gainz

You can't tell your kids this??
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.