Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hard gainer tips

1,534 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cuterebra
AggieP18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First time over here so, howdy!
I'm 23 and workout 3-4 times a week for 30-40 minutes each time for about the last 2.5 months. I'm 6-1 and weigh 175. Not very toned.

I've had a hard time seeing real noticeable gains, I am getting bigger just not very quick. I don't do much cardio at all and focus on lifting weights. Any good tips? Eat more? More protein? Focus more on real heavy weight?
Hoosegow
Eat, eat and eat some more.

For size, go lighter weight and more reps.

Focus on compound lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, rows, pull ups.

Gotta eat though.
Class of '94
ttuhscaggie
AG
Sleep
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.U.T.U
AG
It is simple but not easy, do not expect results right away. Consistency is the key, I normally workout 30-40 minutes max and after my triathlon days I went from 160 to now 205-210 while still doing some long distance cardio which is not ideal for size.

Hoosegow is spot on
AggieP18
Good info, thanks.

I always thought it was better to do heavier weights and less reps. Looks like I should focus on lighter weights and do more reps/sets?
TwoMarksHand
AG
Eat more protein. Sleep. Lift heavy.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Hoosegow said:

Gotta eat though.
Agree with everything, except for the lighter weight. Curious as to why you suggest that.
Hoosegow
P18 is asking for size. To max size gains it is better to go lighter weight with more reps. 8-12 rep range. If his goal was strength, heavier lower rep range. Look at the difference of training for body builders and powerlifters.

Having said that, if you get stronger, you'll get bigger. If you get bigger, you'll get stronger. It is just different if you want to maximize one or the other.
Class of '94
Geriatric Punk
AG
Hoosegow said:

Gotta eat though.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Hoosegow said:

Gotta eat though.
Agree with everything, except for the lighter weight. Curious as to why you suggest that.

Don't mean to speak for him, but by "lighter weight" I don't think he means easy. Just weight that you'll be close to failure in the 8-12 rep range versus like 5 reps; with the former automatically being lighter than the latter.

And for Op, yeah you need to eat more unfortunately
Hoosegow
Bingo
Class of '94
DannyDuberstein
AG
I was always a hard gainer (tall and defined/toned but lean), and I found that the key to gaining that 10-15 pounds of muscle I was always looking for was to reach my mid 30s. It did at least come in the form of lean muscle when it happened. But seriously, the tips above worked for me - eating healthy but plenty. 8-12 reps to fail, and compound reps approach. That approach just started working a little more effectively as the metabolism slowed a bit.
Cuterebra
AG
GOMAD.

Just kidding.

Seriously though, eat more and lift heavy things.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.