Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Bicep injury/surgery?

1,883 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Hoosegow
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's been a week since I got arm barred in bjj, and while the bicep is getting better, I still feel pain in certain motions (usually with a force applied as simple as my hand getting caught in my pocket while taking it out).

The pain is at the bottom of the bottom above the inside of the elbow. I also have bruising on my inner forearm. I've also noticed a little more of a gap between my elbow/bicep versus the other arm.

It appears to be a tendon injury. Anyone have experience with this? Who went the surgery route for a partial tear?

Edit: I DID NOT hear or feel a pop.
Hoosegow
Can you feel the tendon? Palpate the good arm at the joint. You'll feel a very solid tendon. Compare it to the injured arm.
Class of '94
newhowdyag2004
Everything feels the same. It's only tender on the muscle (lower bicep).
Hoosegow
I think for a partial tear, unless hanging by a thread, rest is recommended. I tore mine out of the bone and that requires pretty quick surgery if you want a normal functioning arm.

You might want to go see your DR, but I suspect he will say rest, ice and anti-inflammatory medicine if it isn't tore bad.

Class of '94
aggiederelict
Get into your doc to rule anything serious out and then see a good PT. It can be very helpful. Where are you located?
newhowdyag2004
I scheduled an appointment for this afternoon at Sterling Ridge Orthopedics in The Woodlands.
newhowdyag2004
So, it's a complete distal bicep tendon rupture...SOB.

It's going to kill me not to lift upper body. Guess I'll work on legs/core like a mug and maybe start training bjj in 6 weeks with a hard brace.
aggiederelict
When is the surgery?
newhowdyag2004
This Friday.

I'm nervous about the strength/loss of muscle mass. I hope in about 4 week I can train bjj with a rigid brace and my arm tucked in my gi belt.
newhowdyag2004
Should I lift with my right arm, or just stay with legs and abs during the recovery?
Hoosegow
Yes. Lift with your good arm. It'll help prevent muscle loss in the injured arm. Plus the HGH will aid in healing
Class of '94
newhowdyag2004
You're such a help
bam02
AG
Sorry man. That sucks! Hope you have a successful surgery!
newhowdyag2004
The guy I'm seeing is a DO, should that matter to me? My mom, a retired ICU nurse, is adamant that I use an MD.
bigtruckguy3500
newhowdyag2004 said:

The guy I'm seeing is a DO, should that matter to me? My mom, a retired ICU nurse, is adamant that I use an MD.
No, that shouldn't matter at all. MD or DO, they both go through the same residencies. The residency is a greater determining factor in the quality of the doctor more so than the medical school (DO or MD med school).
TThom
I'm a PA and used to work in orthopedics, primarily upper extremity. Distal biceps repairs were one of our favorite surgeries because the patients usually did so well postop. Especially the active ones motivated to get back to it. Just be patient and diligently work with your PT and you should do great
newhowdyag2004
How long should the tingly and numbness in areas in my hand and wrist last? I had surgery on Tuesday and see the doc on Monday.

I'm assuming it's due to the swelling which appears to be going down.
Hoosegow
Mine lasted 2 years until I finally broke up the scar tissue
Class of '94
newhowdyag2004
How long was it until you could lift at say 80% of normal?
Hoosegow
Released with no restrictions but to ease back into powerlifting 4 months
Class of '94
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.