Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Has anyone done a food sensitivity test?

1,141 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiemike02
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife (and I) think she has developed some food sensitivities over time; and I've heard there are some at home tests that can be done which are useful.

Anyone ever used one or recommend for or against any of them?
Kool
AG
Food allergy testing can be very difficult. Measuring a blood antibody or a skin response to a food is difficult. I frequently see patients who have positive tests to food allergens but who have absolutely zero symptoms when eating that particular food. The best way to do this is to do a complete elimination of a food for two weeks, followed by a challenge with that food. Good luck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Slagathor
AG
I took a test that my mom bought me off Groupon. It's not this exact one, but this one looks about the same. You send off some of your hair and they test it. I was surprised to see some of the foods I'm supposedly highly sensitive to: lime, eggplant, yellow #5, BHA, lychee, venison, bay leaf.

Then I read the fine print, and it says that foods I ate frequently prior to the test may show up as high reactivity foods. Sooo I'm thinking that explains the lime and venison (probably BHA also) being on the list. Never noticed any sensitivities to the other foods but admittedly I don't eat them often at all.

It reported high environmental sensitivities as well - for me, that was rat urine, bumblebees, and basically house flies. Not sure what to make of that. Then it tells me mosquitoes are "moderately reactive" for me. That wasn't particularly helpful information.

But probably the most helpful information from the test was the part on my vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Found out I was deficient in iron and B12. Easy fix, taking a supplement now.

The next part was a heavy metals content analysis, then a thyroid hormone and cholesterol and lipids analysis. Everything was normal, except it told me I apparently have high triglycerides. I'm thinking that's genetic.

It was interesting information, and I did take it to see if it would report any sensitivities to alternative sweeteners. But i'd take the report with a grain of salt and still go see a real allergist if your wife's sensitivities were impacting her health.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
I did an MRT (Mediator Release Test) a couple of years ago. I followed it to a T and it helped me out a lot. I even lost around 20 lbs too.

My brother has some serious food allergies and he tried it first. It helped him tremendously.

Google it.
lazuras_dc
AG
A good friend of mine who's a dietician does MRT LEAP testing. A lot of MDs (including my wife's boss at an allergy practice practice think that stuff is bogus) but the way my dietician friend puts it is that most MDs are looking for stuff that cause tangible symptoms and real world immediate problems. While on the dietician side of things they view it as these Food sensitivities that cause low grade inflammation that affects us over time and because of that there is validity to these tests and changing our diet accordingly. So who knows.
SnowboardAg
AG
I did an mrt thru a dietician and didn't see much results if any. Easiest route, cut out gluten and dairy. The stay away from the 5 inflammatories: corn, soy, gluten, dairy and eggs. Essentially follow the AIP paleo diet and your 98% there. If you still have issues, then try an MRT
SpreadsheetAg
AG
SnowboardAg said:

I did an mrt thru a dietician and didn't see much results if any. Easiest route, cut out gluten and dairy. The stay away from the 5 inflammatories: corn, soy, gluten, dairy and eggs. Essentially follow the AIP paleo diet and your 98% there. If you still have issues, then try an MRT
Done these in the past - Whole 30; Elimination Diets, AIP...and we already know she's got low grade celiacs / gluten intolerance... she has a persistent cough and scratch in throat for 5 years, and certain things make it worse (white potatoes, vinegar); just might like to know what else is our there.
SnowboardAg
AG
I may be oversimplifying it, but I believe the MRT is taking food sensitivities compared to your blood. The problem is the food goes thru so much processing and filtration that I'm not sure it's a valid analysis. It can't hurt, but I wouldn't place hope that it would resolve the issue. For example, I was eating smoothies daily with blueberry and strawberry before the test. Both blueberry and strawberry showed up highly reactive on the MRT. It's odd the parallel there and by cutting both my condition didn't improve.

The herbal supplement route gave me much better results than the MRT.
aggiemike02
AG
has she had her reflux looked at?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.