Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

FitBit or Apple Watch

8 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Max06
OutdoorAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to decide which to get. I honestly don't care about being able to text or talk to anyone. That's why I have a phone. I guess what I'm interested to know is their an added benefit to an Apple Watch in regards to tracking health?
aggiespartan
AG
Any reason you're not considering Garmin?
zachsccr
AG
If you don't want the talk/text features, I'd look at Garmin or Fitbit. Garmin has been my preferred for a long time now the Vivoactive is a great all around watch a tracker.

To address your question- my wife had an Apple Watch and the need to charge daily or every other day was a draw back to her. She ended up with a Fitbit Ionic and really likes it. Apple doesn't have a native sleep tracking feature and typically has a shorter battery.
OutdoorAg
AG
I honestly haven't thought about a Garmin. I'll look into those as well.
aggiespartan
AG
I've had a fit bit, and Apple Watch, and a Garmin, and the Garmin has been my favorite. I had one of the earlier fit bits and it didn't do a ton besides heart rate and steps. The Apple Watch is a smart watch that does fitness. The Garmin is a fitness watch that does smart stuff.
94chem
$50 GPS watch on eBay. Has worked great for 2 years.
mrmill3218
AG
Is there any effective calorie counter? I know nothing about smart watches.
ThreeFive
AG
I'm selling a brand new Garmin 245. Please see link below if interested.

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/3053098
AggieBarstool
OP:

Do you want a fitness device that also tells time? If yes, go with a Garmin or Fitbit (in that order).

Want a time piece that can do fitness stuff? Alternately, are you steeped in the Apple ecosystem? If so, get an Apple Watch.
OutdoorAg
AG
Thanks for all the replies. After doing some research about the Garmin, I've decided to go that route. Having the ability to use it as a range finder for golf is what put it over for me.
94chem
OutdoorAg said:

Thanks for all the replies. After doing some research about the Garmin, I've decided to go that route. Having the ability to use it as a range finder for golf is what put it over for me.

Do they have one that has a ball finder?
LOYAL AG
AG
94chem said:

OutdoorAg said:

What you're really asking is whether the watch is water proof.
htxag09
AG
I'm intrigued by the new garmin watches. Was about to pull the trigger on the forerunner 945 but the Venu looks pretty slick. Trading off a little bit of function but would look a whole lot better with work clothes and wearing it out.
94chem
LOYAL AG said:

94chem said:

OutdoorAg said:

What you're really asking is whether the watch is water proof.

I saw a camouflage golf ball online. In the history of terrible inventions, few can surpass that one.
Drip99
AG
What additional fitness capability does the Garmin have over the apple watch?
ptothemo
AG
You are going to need to google that to get an effective answer. There are a number of Garmin models out there, and they all have various functionality. For example, I just googled "garmin forerunner 235 and apple watch side by side" and got helpful results. Similar comparisons are out there for other Garmin models as well.
htxag09
AG
Really depends on the garmin model, but some standard ones:

Battery life
GPS is more accurate
Customization of running/workout data fields / screens
Sleep analyzation
Build interval workouts
More metrics: pulse ox, weather / altitude acclimation, training level indicator, vo2 max

I'm not too familiar with the Apple Watch so don't know much about its data visualization for reviewing workouts or how you're progressing.

Also, seems to be more durable. Since I've had my garmin, my wife has gone through a couple apple watches.
ptothemo
AG
Oh, and runners recognize runners by a Garmin - not an Apple watch. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with people who were previously strangers in business meetings, airports, gatherings, etc. just because I had a Garmin on. That is an inherent testament to the quality of the product in my opinion.

In the words of Waka Flocka, "real recognize real".
Pahdz
I love my Garmin Fenix 5 for it's looks, ski mode, and the golf features
Max06
AG
Is there any product selector/ filter by feature for smart watches and activity trackers? Garmin's website is a bit overwhelming and doesn't seem to have a way to compare products side by side.

Looking for HR, sleep monitoring, gym/ activity tracking. Not a runner anymore so that's not a concern. Don't need touch pay or music.
htxag09
AG
You can "Shop by feature" and filter by wrist based HR. I think you can't be on the mobile site, but there is a compare option, you can select it and then pick up to 4 watches to compare side by side.
Max06
AG
This is exactly what I am looking for.. will have to switch to laptop.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.