Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Kidney Stone

6,825 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by scd88
Gilligan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holy Crap that hurt and scared the crap out of me. Spent the evening in the ER and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. What's scary is not knowing what's happening.

Anyway, are there any good Urologist around Pearland? The only one I've seen specializes in vasectomys.

I have lost 25 lbs in the last 4 months. lots of sweating. CrossFit 5 times a week and walking a lot.

CrossFit at 5am, then walk 2 to 3.5 miles M-F and walk 8 to 10 miles on Sat and 4 to 5 on Sunday,

Eating a lot of veggies and protein and limiting carbs. I drink a lot of water, unsweetened tea (Green and Regular) and skim milk. No coffee or soda and little alcohol.

I am a sweater. I sweat a lot when I exercise, work in the yard. even though I think I am drinking a lot maybe I am not drinking enough?

Grew up with parents that smoke, I don't smoke and never have and am salt averse. I don't like salt.

~G

wbt5845
AG
My brothers have all had kidney stone issues. We all are big time sweat monkeys.

I strive to drink a gallon of water everyday. I have not had any issues with kidney stones. The gallon a day is kind of a PITA (go to pee a lot), but it seems to work.
Dad
AG
My wife's doctor recommended drinking lemonade to try and reduce stone formation, but they want you to drink low sugar or sugar free lemonade so it might not taste great.
Gilligan
AG
Ways to prevent kidney stones
Hoosegow
And Crossfit claims another one.
Class of '94
Gilligan
AG
NOT quitting CrossFit. I like it too much. As a super sweater I need to hydrate better. Can't blame that on CrossFit.

The Houston heat, all the walking and CrossFit are the major contributors.

Today I feel like a prisoner. Other than feeling like I have been kicked in the kidneys repeatedly I am fine.

I called a couple of Urologist to make an appt. waiting for a call back. In the meantime, can I go back to walking?

maybe not 8 to 10 miles, but 2 or 3 with a lot of hydration?

Do I just wait until the gun fires the BB before doing anything?

I don't sit still very well.

htxag09
AG
Can't talk to the kidney stones. But for hydration, have you done a sweat test?

You need around 87 oz of water a day plus what you're sweating. So, a typical day in this heat for me is a goal of about 180 oz of water (supplemented with sodium and other electrolytes). That's with two workouts a day, averaging about an hour a workout.
Gilligan
AG
I googled sweat test and it came back related to Cystic Fibrosis.

htxag09
AG
Gilligan said:

I googled sweat test and it came back related to Cystic Fibrosis.

Not sure what that means....but you want to weigh yourself (nude), do your workout for an hour, dry completely off and weigh yourself again (nude). The weight you lost plus any water drank is how much sweat you lose and need to replenish per hour of exercise.
Lavender Gooms
AG
Sweat chloride test is one of the initial tests they do if a newborn is suspected of having cystic fibrosis. Elevated sweat chloride concentration above a certain level is part of the diagnostic criteria.
IslandAg76
AG
Was the stone analyzed? What kind was it?
Calcium oxalate?
Gilligan
AG
Still waiting for it to pass. drinking water and peeing frequently.

I pee'd in the bucket maybe four times. Too annoying to keep that up for how often I am peeing.

I am at work today and not carrying that bucket with me.

With proper hydration can I get back to exercise and activity?

I took yesterday off and am a little stir crazy.

...or do I have to wait until this demon leaves my body?
EMY92
AG
I've had kidney stones twice. I drink a lot of water.

Neither time did I have any pain from the stones. The second time did lead to the discovery that I had bladder cancer, so the stones turned out to be a good thing.

Funny enough, my surgery was scheduled to remove the stone, it was a big one. I passed it before I went to the hospital. The urologist said that they needed to go in for a look anyway. I woke up and was told that I had several tumors removed.

That was 21 months ago. I'm the third in my extended family to be diagnosed with bladder cancer. My dad lived 5 weeks after diagnosis and a cousin lived about 18 months.

Moral of the story, if you think you have kidney stones, you likely do, but it is not a bad idea to get a full check done.

I had my 3rd follow up last week, the cancer hasn't returned yet. I was told that the only way it won't recur is to die from something else before it does.
bigtruckguy3500
Yes, you can resume exercise as tolerated. Keep hydrating, of course. If you get your stone analyzed, it can tell you what types of foods to avoid. Typically cutting back on calcium and oxalate containing foods helps. Depending on the type of stone will also determine if you should be trying to acidify or alkalanize your urine.

Do your best to catch the stone. Did the ER say how big it was?
Lsprott
oops
Gilligan
AG
5mm
Gilligan
AG
I have a Dr appt. Thur am.

I feel confident that my issue is dehydration.

Started CrossFit 4 months ago (5 days a week)
Went on a seven day mission trip in July that was brutally hot. It took about 10 days for me to fully recover
my walking - I have worked up to walking up to 10 miles at a time.

Add in my profuse sweating and it adds up to dehydration.

I am thinking at 5mm I will notice it passing and will be able to retrieve it.

I hope it doesn't decide to come out when I am not at home.

bigtruckguy3500
Go to the dollar store and buy a small kitchen strainer you can keep with you when you leave the house. At 5mm it shouldn't be an issue passing.
4stringAg
AG
Had a 5mm stone last week. Pain unbearable. Urologist had to laser it because he said it got lodged where ureter meets bladder. Just had stent removed today. Feeling a lot better but similar to OP I've been hitting the gym hard for the last few months and I go to the sauna afterwards and sweat so thinking I just wasn't getting enough hydration.

Have heard taking high vitamin C supplements can also contribute.

Gilligan
AG
My wife started buying the HEB fresh squeezed orange juice and I have been pounding that for the last few months as well.

High in Calcium...

The soreness in my back has passed and I have no other discomfort.

Woke up three times Monday night to pee and four times last night.

This frequency of urination is annoying.

Dr. appt in the morning...
Gilligan
AG
Doc said it takes roughly 18 month per mm so this has been going on for around seven years.

Just a hide and watch approach. get back to life and expect intense pain in my future.

Praying that it passes soon and that I am at home when it happens.

For the rest of you. Drink more water...
JP76
Are you taking any creatine supplements ?

Too much protein and oxalates in your diet can also increase the frequency of them

Lemon juice is a natural preventive for stones

IslandAg76
AG
Ask your Dr about hydrochlorthiazide.
I had multiple stone issues and after starting on 12.5 mg once a day I have had zero- over 20 years now.

Most Drs have nothing to offer but drink more water. I also think metabolism might change they life and you might stop producing the stones after a while- no science to back up that thought
FCBlitz
I gave birth to a 11mm stone. Had stint because it shut down my kidney. Really the second most painful event of my life.
CoachRTM
AG
Had one at 18 years old and another at 20. I remember A&M was playing Clemson (about 15 years ago) and it was on in the background at the hospital but I absolutely couldn't care less about the game.

Agreed that the worst part was the initial hospital visit. Had intense pain in my lower back and in "the twins". I was out coaching my little brothers pee-wee team and the pain kept getting worse and worse until I almost passed out after the game. My mom had to drive me to the ER.

Side effect of working out, but drank too much soda and not enough water while in college. Now 32 and haven't had another.

The actual passing of the stone was a non-event. No idea how big it was - wasn't able to catch it. I had the strainer next to the toilet and figured I would know when to use it.

You probably need to up the water if you're working out for that long. Walking 8-10 miles takes around 3 hours I'm assuming? Most long distance runners don't go out for more than 3 hours at a time. (A little different, but worth mentioning). If you sweat that much, no telling how much water you're losing. Need to be hydrating during the walk if you aren't already. Take a camelback or something similar.
Gilligan
AG
Still waiting for the devil spawn to pass.

back to normal exercise, walking etc...

I drink 30 ounces before I go on my long walks. I take a 16.9 oz bottle with me and drink 75% at the 1/2 way mark. My path crosses a public park with a water fountain and I drink my remaining 25% of the bottle. Then drink my fill and refill my bottle and sip on that until I get home.

My body is starting to adjust to my increased water intake, 150 to 180oz per day, and I am not peeing as frequently and down to once a night vs 3 to 4.

I keep praying that it leaves my body soon!
Texas Ag Mom
My husband has had KS since he was 30 & he is now 58. He has had every procedure done but for many years he has been able to pass them on his own. He often times has 7-10 floating around at the same time. In the last 2 weeks he passed 2. Some come w/more pain than others. Some take days. This week was only 30 minutes. He is a pro at this!
Gilligan
AG
The demon spawn was on the move yesterday and early this morning. The pain is absolutely awful.

I feel like I have been kicked by a mule.

Follow up with the Dr. on Thursday.

lockett93
AG
My urologist suggested a 12 pack of beer nightly. Numbs the pain and pushes plenty of fluid!
Gilligan
AG
Doc recommends going in a grabbing it.

That will require the stent and he said I will not like him while the stent is in.

Were you able to go to work with the stent?

~G
Gilligan
AG
The demon is 1.5 inches from my bladder.

To have them go in and grab it or not.

That is the question.

~G
4stringAg
AG
Gilligan said:

Doc recommends going in a grabbing it.

That will require the stent and he said I will not like him while the stent is in.

Were you able to go to work with the stent?

~G

Sorry just now seeing this. I went to work with the stent. Really had no issues with it other than when I went to piss the flow of the urine moved the stent a little and I got a short quick spasm right at the start of the flow that went away quick. So uncomfortable when peeing but not debilitating.
Dad
AG
I think I have one. I've had one twice before and this feels like how those started.

I've been working out about 1 to 2 hours a day for the last few months after not working at all for the 30 months before that.

Right now it just hurts behind my right kidney but it is not too bad. The ones I've had in the past were small, barely big enough to see on images, and started out like this, got worse, then eventually passed without incident after drinking tons of water for a few weeks.

I decided to try and just drink a ton of water and see if it goes away on its own without me having to get exposed to radiation. If it gets worse or doesn't go away I'll go see my doctor.
South Platte
Gilligan, sorry pal. I had a 7mm in 2001 that they had to go up and extract. It was blocking passage to the ureter. ER, surgery, all good.

And then I got another one January 2019. 1mm. But I actually passed out from the pain. I passed it 2 days later. The x-ray showed I had a 4mm in the other kidney. Just had it blown up 2 weeks ago.

I cannot believe your urologist didn't recommend to either get it blown up or go up and get it. Anesthesia either way. Or maybe the urologist recommended that but you decided to save the money and pass it on your own?

The average ureter is 4mm, so you trying to pass the 5mm stone is similar to a snake swallowing a squirrel.

I'd pay somebody to get it out.

Gilligan
AG
My journey is NOT about saving money! This has been a suck @$$ month.

Long Story short, I went to a different urologist yesterday and am having the procedure on Monday.

I have had two more attacks since the last time I posted. One as I got off the plane from Clemson and the next was the following day in the office. I tried to schedule the procedure since the 5th with no call back.

Had to fire the first Urologist.

They finally called me back as I was leaving the new urologist's office. Too late...

I am not looking forward to this other than the finality that it will be over when it's over.

As previously suggested, this doc wasn't kidding when he said take FloMax and drink a 12 pack a night and pray that it passes while your drunk.

I am drinking a crap ton of water hoping I can get it the last inch to my bladder before Monday.

For everyone who has ever had one of these I am truly sorry as it sucks big time.

Monday is the day!

~G

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.