Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Grand Teton National Park

1,357 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Jim01
monarch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Driggs ID, Snake River, etc.

Wife and I are going up there in about three weeks. Looking to do moderate level hiking, some rafting, zip lining, horseback stuff, etc, etc. There is so much information on the web, that it is almost confusing.

Any recommendations, thoughts?
Ragoo
AG
Yes, all of it.
DeLaHonta
AG
I was last in the Grand Tetons in 2012, where I backpacked through the park for 7 days and then rafted. Its one of my favorite places I've ever been.

I assume you're staying in Jackson, which is a great small mountain town of its own. Good restaurants, you can do a brewery tour, and just walk around the town-it's very walkable and right next to the mountains. I would definitely recommend getting a cabin type hotel or one with a good view, because it's so worth it at the beginning/end of the day to just sit back and watch the sunrise/sunset over the mountains.

There are so many beautiful trails to hike that you can't go wrong with that, even if just day hiking. Jenny Lake is north of Jackson and is where most of the canoe/lake kayaking is. The Snake River has good whitewater rafting, so just pick an outfitter and go.

Don't forget that you're also not that far from Yellowstone and the Mormon barns, which are extremely picturesque.

It's amazing there. You'll love it.
(removed:10EA24-2)
Still one of the best family trips we have ever taken. Do it all. Wildlife watching in the morning and evening is the best part - and the fishing / hiking etc
monarch
S
Actually, we are staying in Driggs, which is on the Idaho side; cheaper and still close to everything it appears. Have had a lot of contact with people up there and everybody seems very helpful and very nice. Looking forward to the stay.
agcivengineer
AG
Get a guide and fly fish the snake river near ririe, ID. Youll be in heaven.
coop-aero-06
AG
I've never been to Driggs, but in my experience in mountainous area like that I would just drive east to Alta, get on Teton Canyon Road and drive up into the mountains until it dead-ends and park the car and start hiking. You're guaranteed to be blown away by the scenery.

Get something like this so you don't have to pack gallons of water for yourself on the hike. Just filter it from the creeks.
TommyGun
AG
Driggs is a cool little town. I've stayed there a number of times and it is a great value compared to Jackson. You can pick just about anything and I guarantee you'll have a great time doing it.

A couple of recommendations:

- Hiking: Table Mountain hike near Alta, WY. You'll get an up close view to the backside face of Grand Teton.

- Horseback Riding: Mill Iron Ranch in the Hoback Canyon area. Good group of folks who operate the ranch. This is not a resort style ride that is overly supervised and tame. You'll be riding up and down rough country and super steep narrow trails.

- Breakfast: Lots of good options but make sure you make a stop at The Bunnnery in Jackson and have the wild blueberry pancakes.
Jim01
AG
Literally was just there the weekend before July 4th. We stayed in Teton Village (where the Jackson Hole skiing is) and here is how we spent our 3 full days:

Day 1 - Teton Forest
- Started bright and early and went to Jenny Lake. We hiked around the left side of the lake (about 3 miles) to hidden falls and inspiration point. Then we took the ferry back across the lake.
- Drove around to a couple of the visitors centers (nothing much to see there).
- Afternoon we look the 3.5 mile loop hike to Taggart Lake and back. Great afternoon hike. Not steep, plenty to see, beautiful lake.

Day 2 - Yellow Stone
- Left our condo at 6:00 and got to Ol Faithful a little after 8:00. Watched Ol Faithful and then did the hike right behind it to Mirror Pool and back (2 miles)
- Drove to Painted Pots and saw that
- Drove to Gibbon Falls
- Did a little drive through road that went along a river that was really pretty (can't remember the name) but it was on the way back from Gibbon Falls going towards Fairy Falls
- Started to do the hike to Fairy Falls, but it was much longer than we thought so we cut it short, as we had a 2 hour drive back
- A lot of stuff in Yellowstone is just drive up, park, walk 100 yards to attraction. All those are PACKED because all the lazy tourists want the easy reward. The stuff where you have to park and then hike a mile are a LOT less crowded because you have to put in work

Day 3 - Teton Village
- Took the tram up to the peak and had breakfast on top of the mountain (awesome waffle place)
- Did the ~3 mile hike from the tram to the gondola (beautiful views) and rode the gondola down
- Hung around village, chilled in hot tub
- Went to Jackson for dinner at Cafe Genevieve
- Went back to Teton Village and took the gondola up to the bistro at the top for a glass of wine at sunset. And FINALLY saw a couple bears on the ride down

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.