Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Cycling in Georgetown/Round Rock

1,241 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by htxag09
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're visiting a friend in Georgetown this week, they aren't far from 35 near Salt Traders. I figured a decent amount of TexAgers were from the area....

Any good bike trails or roads near the area? I need to get in 35 miles Saturday morning. I plan on getting it in early, starting around 6:15, which should help with traffic.
johnson2012
AG
I'm assuming road bike?

If you're staying near Salt Traders I'd just head a bit West and do an out and back on parmer lane. Simple navigation and decently wide shoulders, plus there will be other bikes there. High speed limit, but shouldn't be bad that early. Also bring a patch kit. Lots of construction happening out there, so it's a bit dirty in spots close to town. If you're going Park and Ride, park at Peddler bike shop on parmer and you can grab a coffee/beer after the ride from redhorn next door.

If you want hills, plenty of routes west of there but you'll be doing more twisting and turning to navigate.
AggieOO
You can also ride Chandler Rd (university) to Taylor and back.
96ags
AG
Lots of folks bike the Ronald Reagan/Parmer lane part north of Leander Rd. However, that is actually in the Georgetown area, not Round Rock like the Salt Traders you mentioned.
htxag09
AG
Thanks!

Yes, a road bike. Well, actually a tri bike.

Parmer and Chandler both look like they'll work, and looking at the Strava heat maps, they look pretty active.

Still trying to convince the wife we should stay home Friday and leave after my ride Saturday morning, but if not, these look like good options.
AggieOO
Parmer will have a number of hills and will have a headwind/tailwind. If you ride north first and then come back south (the typical direction people ride), you will have a headwind on the way back. You can drive out and start southbound if you prefer to end with a tailwind. If you are ok with the headwind on the way back, start from Redhorn on the corner of 1431 and Parmer. You can park there, grab coffee before the ride and a beer after. Lots of people start here, and there is a bike shop next door.

If you ride Chandler, it is east-west, so you'll have cross wind in both directions. It will be a much flatter ride that Parmer.
The InTIMidator
AG
If you are staying in Georgetown, I recommend starting at Sun City where you can take Reagan north to the Shell station at I-35 and then turn back and add miles south on Reagan as far as you need for extra mileage. Reagan/Parmer has been an excellent training route - until the last 2-3 years with too many new neighborhoods being constructed... I prefer the county roads that split off Reagan, which is safer and scenic although Strava will reveal your slower mph.
htxag09
AG
Does chandler have a bike lane or wide shoulder for riding?
AggieOO
Its been a while since I've been out there, but once you get past AW Grimes on university, you should have shoulder all the way to Taylor. University turns into Chandler after you pass the toll road.

Take a look at it on Google maps.
htxag09
AG
Thanks for the advice. Our friends live a couple miles from the peddler bike shop so I just did Ronald Reagan. Was a great ride, weather was nice (compared to houston), actually a north wind so had a tailwind coming back home, and quite a few other riders out. The hills were definitely tough, but i fared better than I expected for my first hilly ride. I used to think the under/overpasses along houston bayous were tough!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.