Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Recommend A Diet Program

8,085 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Player To Be Named Later
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I thought weight loss would be simple... eat less, workout more....right?

Well, I'm 46 and have a really odd work schedule, etc and I've decided my wife and I need some sort of diet or weight loss program to help us stay on track/focused.

I know a lot if not all of the "diets" are pretty much just marketing fads, but is there anything y'all have found to produce results that isn't too over the top complicated?

I could really stand to lose 50-60lbs and I'm tired of just thinking/talking about it.

Thanks!
ExtremeRush
AG
After watching the documentary "What the Health" on Netflix and reading the book "How Not to Die", I just started a whole food plant based approach to eating and it's been great. I've had a ton of energy!

Here are some websites that are good resources:

https://nutritionstudies.org/whole-food-plant-based-diet-guide/
https://www.forksoverknives.com/plant-based-primer-beginners-guide-starting-plant-based-diet/#gs.nph6v9 (Also has a documentary on Netflix)
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/plant-based-diet-guide#overview

You could also try the Whole30. Book is called "It Starts with Food."

If you want to lose weight you have to consume less calories than your body needs. There are multiple online calculators to help you estimate your basal metabolic rate (BMR). Once you know this, you will lose weight if you consume less calories than your body needs (your BMR). I recommend you track calories at least for your first week of whichever diet you choose. It will open your eyes to the caloric content in what you're eating. I use MyFitnessPal (by UnderArmour) which is free and makes it very easy to track. Good luck!
K Bo
AG
I've been having success with StrongerU. You get a personal nutrition coach that will work with you to build a macro-based diet depending in your goals. If you have the discipline to follow their coaching success comes relatively easily. Being macro- based allows for some freedoms as to what you eat but still requires healthy decisions. Before I signed up I had a couple friends that had great success, as well.
Post removed:
by user
Matsui
AG
Its a lifestyle change. Lean meats and veggies. There are no secrets. No empty calories.
Post removed:
by user
Vernada
AG
Go read the IMF (intermittent fasting) thread.

It really works and really can't get any easier.

https://texags.com/forums/48/topics/2943791
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Any thoughts on using the Mediterranean diet to sort of have a blue print for meal planning?
lb3
AG
AggieBarstool
OP -- you kinda nailed it. It's about calories in and calories out. More effective than any fad or routine is keeping track of what you put in your body and what you're expending in the form of exercise. I recommend a program that allows you to track your caloric intake and expenditures -- something like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt. They let you set goals and track progress over time. Once you have a good handle on what you're putting in your body, and what your exercise routine(s) look like, you can start making data-driven decisions on what to cut back on (or amp up) to hit your weight loss goals. For me, personally, it was very revealing; I was eating far in excess, calorie-wise, than I had any idea I was eating. MFP helped me end cut that out and stay at 1500 calories a day. From there, everything else fell into place.

If you don't believe me:
Started Jan. 2018 @ 280lbs.
Got down to 170 in 14 months.
Daily caloric limit of 1500 calories.
Ragoo
AG
My wife just did Faster Way to Weight Loss

6 week program

She lost 13# and 5.5 total inches.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
So, in retrospect, I guess what I mean by "Diet program" I pretty much was thinking of best diet meal plans to follow, not really anything to nail ourselves down to.

Maybe a good idea is to shake it up a little between Nordic Diet meals, Mediterranean Diet meals, and other clean eating meal plan recipes? Just meal plan and track through Fitness Pal or similar app?

Ragoo
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

So, in retrospect, I guess what I mean by "Diet program" I pretty much was thinking of best diet meal plans to follow, not really anything to nail ourselves down to.

Maybe a good idea is to shake it up a little between Nordic Diet meals, Mediterranean Diet meals, and other clean eating meal plan recipes? Just meal plan and track through Fitness Pal or similar app?

there are many places to calculated your macros based on current body and physical activity plus where you want your weight to be. Follow those macros. Most likely limit carbs, supplement with fat and protein.

Eat lean protein and veggies maybe a 1/4 cup of rice per meal.

Skip breakfast.
Post removed:
by user
Ragoo
AG
third coast.. said:

Ragoo said:

there are many places to calculated your macros based on current body and physical activity plus where you want your weight to be. Follow those macros. Most likely limit carbs, supplement with fat and protein.

Eat lean protein and veggies maybe a 1/4 cup of rice per meal.

Skip breakfast.

This is am IMF plan, just so everything is clear. There are many many routes to go.
you can make it IMF sure, doesn't have to be.

Player To Be Named Later
AG
About my only line in the sand is skipping breakfast.... that's highly unlikely to ever happen on purpose
Ragoo
AG

About my only line in the sand is skipping breakfast.... that's highly unlikely to ever happen on purpose
eat fruit only then
bigtruckguy3500
Op, shoot me an e-mail my gmail, bigtruckguy - att- g mail. There's a step-wise list I found that I think is useful for folks unsure wehre to start I can send you
Vernada
AG

So skip dinner.
bigtruckguy3500
Vernada said:

So skip dinner.
I eat breakfast for lunch. Eggs, breakfast tacos, etc. It's great.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
That IMF deal would be pretty difficulty to keep up with and function with my job.... working a 12 hour shift on patrol while eating 500cals would be pretty rough.
lb3
AG
Vernada
AG

That IMF deal would be pretty difficulty to keep up with and function with my job.... working a 12 hour shift on patrol while eating 500cals would be pretty rough.

Just don't do that part of it.

Try doing all of your daily eating in a 6-8 hour window.
Ragoo
AG

what time is typical patrol? Can you not stop and heat up a packed lunch? Like at a gas station/truck stop with a microwave?
Player To Be Named Later
AG
6am-6pm. It's trying to be functional on 500-700 calories at work...
Ragoo
AG
You can eat more calories.

Losing 50-60 lbs, are you talking currently 300+?

You can eat 2200 calories a day and lose weight just calculating 300 to 260.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Close... fluctuate 290-295. Ideally I'd love to wind up at 225, but I haven't seen that since HS. I figure 50-60 is a good starting goal
Ragoo
AG

Close... fluctuate 290-295. Ideally I'd love to wind up at 225, but I haven't seen that since HS. I figure 50-60 is a good starting goal
i would be willing to bet if you sat down and mapped out everything you ate for 2 weeks you could come up with "healthier" alternatives that over time would allow you to drop 50 pounds.

You have to understand that kind of weight loss is a long commitment.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
I guarantee you that you're correct. I honestly think I'd lose substantial initial weight simply by eating clean, meal planning instead of grabbing crap food at work, and drinking more water.
Ragoo
AG
I take my lunch to work everyday. Either some precooked sausage with fresh broccoli or some ground pork with a touch of soy and riced cauliflower. I can zap these for 2nand a half minutes and be done with my lunch in just a few minutes. I also take a handful of mixed nuts and a lime or cononut seltzer water. Quick easy clean lunch with minimal effort.
Aston04
AG
Meats + veggies + workout.

I dont do zero carbs or zero sugar or zero snacks, but try to limit them. Pop and diet pop is killer too. Trying to get rid of it completely--have limited use since I started. .

Also, if there is a time of day easier for you to be good- take advantage of that. For example, I don't mind simply broccoli and coffee in the morning. I get strange looks from family members, but it gives me extra wiggle room the rest of the day. So no need to get the cereal out every day.

I look at working out the same way. You can't pig out if you workout, but it gives a few more calories to play with. Working out--I like to run or do cardio videos off YouTube (free).

Lost 35 pounds over 2 years. My jolt to get going was when I realized I was technically overweight by bmi sfandards. I felt that was pathetic for me and got to work.
bigtruckguy3500
I lost a good bit of weight doing IF with 1800-2500 daily calories when I first started. Never went down to 500.

I think you'll be surprised at how well you do going 16-20 hours without food. Just this past week I went 20 hours without food. And part of that time was spent doing a 7 mile hike up and down the hills at Camp Pendleton, part of it running, and part of it with a gas mask on. Your body adapts.

But there are also several IF protocols. You could do a 24 hour fast twice a week, you could do a 48 hour fast once a week. And of course you can do the daily 16-8, 18-6, 20-4. Another good thing about IF is that it prevents you from making bad food decisions. When you're hungry and forgot to bring something healthy you might opt for fast food. If you're doing IF, you just drink some water, and pretty soon you're no longer hungry. And then you just eat at night.
Vernada
AG
I've lost 30+# this year. The bulk of it Jan-Mar with what seemed like very little effort.

I started by skipping breakfast, having a 400 cal lunch around 1230, and then a regular dinner around 530.

Then it got to where I wasn't hungry at lunch so I was just eating dinner every night. Not tracking anything.

Weekends I'd still skip breakfast but I'd eat with the family whenever and whatever.

It sounds a bit daunting but it's so much easier to maintain than keto, whole 30, or whatever where you have to constantly worry about what you eat and buy.
WestTexasAg
AG
Low carb. Keto type diet, but doesn't have to be that extreme.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.