Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Home Garage Gym Recs

6,078 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Moved to a new city with limited gym options, but I'd still like to continue regularly working out.
At my previous gym, I pretty much only used the squat rack and bench with free weights and occasionally the treadmill.

Thinking I can spend around $750 for a squat rack with barbell, and 300 pounds of free weights. Then an additional $500 or so on a used treadmill.

Any recommendations in that price range?
RG20
Look into the Rogue garage gym packages. G-4 looks like a pretty solid set up for the pricepoint.

G-4 Garage Gym
JeepWaveEarl
AG
https://www.getrxd.com/starterpacks/home-gyms.html

Look specifically at titan slim rack at get rx'd if you have limited space..

AggieGunslinger
AG
I bought mine through Fringe sports out of Austin and I've been very happy with it. I have their fold-up rack oh, I really enjoyed being able to quickly get it out of the way when I need to use the room for something else.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I bought mine through Fringe sports out of Austin and I've been very happy with it. I have their fold-up rack oh, I really enjoyed being able to quickly get it out of the way when I need to use the room for something else.

Those folding ones look awesome. May need to give them a shot.
Do you have a pic of your set up? Looks like you can get a fold up bench, wall mounts for plates, and a wall mount for the bar.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I have a feeling I'm going to wind up spending way more than I should. I'm already looking at the prx wall mounted racks.
Hoosegow
Look at Texas Strength Systems used equipment. They are reasonably priced and you can pick it up which will save you a ton on shipping
Class of '94
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm out in Oregon, so can't pick up in Texas.
Eliminatus
AG
Just got done building my basic set up. I put a LOT of thought and research into and I went with the Fitness Reality 810 as my cage. $260 and does everything I want it to and more. I was looking at a wall mount option that was super awesome.....and after looking at the numbers, it just wasn't what I needed. I am not going into strongman level of weight and or even close. Amazon the FR cage and it should be the first choice if ya wanna take a gander at it.

So the above cage worked for me. And it is everything I could have hoped for. Just get some J Hook attachments for it. Then a bench, a 300lb weight set and a hex bar and a landmine extension and I was set for what I wanted weight wise. I've added on a few things here and there.

For my cardio I wanted to splurge a bit. So i thumbs downed the treadmill and bike and went with a full body machine. The Concept 2 rowing machine. SOOOOO glad I went with this option over a tread or bike. It's pricey though. But hot damn is it everything that said it was and more. So the cage and the rower and some bars and that covers 95% of my needs.

I already had some Power Blok dumbbells from years ago so had the free weights covered. Also pricey but also very much worth it IMO.

All told I spent not quite $2K on everything. That includes the rower that was $1K in itself. Everything takes up about a third of my garage so pretty small footprint as well.
Gilligan
AG
Eliminatus said:

The Concept 2 rowing machine.

Excellent Choice - highly recommend
Hoosegow
You could wait a couple of years for when I move out there.
Class of '94
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Thanks for the rec. that rack looks good.

What set of weights did you go with?
Bumper plates or iron?
Watchful Ag
AG
I recently (9 months ago) took the plunge and went with the Rogue Monster Squat Stand w/ pull-up bar and a bench. I absolutely love it and have zero regrets.very happy with my purchase and glad I finally cut the cord with the gym
cjo03
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

I'm out in Oregon, so can't pick up in Texas.

what part of Oregon?
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Way down in Southern Oregon. We live in a little community outside of Medford called Eagle Point.
We've only been here 3 weeks but love it so far.
cjo03
AG
It's a neat place. Been just outside Portland for 5 years now.

I can't help you with your gym - but if you head north let me know and I can help with gym clothes.
Eliminatus
AG
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Thanks for the rec. that rack looks good.

What set of weights did you go with?
Bumper plates or iron?
I went with iron. The basic 300# set from academy that came with a 7' barbell. I already had some old foam matting and justs et up "stations" for deadlifts and the hex bar. Works just fine. I just couldn't justify the cost for rubber ones. They are nice but definitely in the "luxury" list for me.
UpstateAg
AG
The concept 2 was the best piece of cardio equipment I purchased. Sold my airdyne for it. I'd also say kettlebells. Lighting for one armed movements, heavier for farmer carry on swings.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
cjo03 said:

It's a neat place. Been just outside Portland for 5 years now.

I can't help you with your gym - but if you head north let me know and I can help with gym clothes.

Will do, man. Generally, I'll head up to Eugene a few times a year for work, and Portland once a year.
RGRAg1/75
AG
https://www.titan.fitness/

Titan always ships free. Some of their stuff isn't well packaged (my GHD has a couple of nicks) but for the price and free shipping, it's unbeatable. I just bought a vertical plate tree and upgraded set of bumpers. All good to go.

As others have said, concept 2 is my best single purchase to date (started my garage gym ~ 3 yrs ago.

A couple of KBs, and a 20# wall ball from titan. For mats, go down to the co-op and get 4x8 horse stall mats for a fraction of what these gym retailers will sell them for. A couple pieces of ply wood (which Lowe's will cut for free btw), some screws and wood glue and you can throw together a good box for box jumps.

If you approach it right, you can get a nice start for $1200 or so (not counting rower). Craigslist landed me both my concept 2 and 4 x 45# bumpers for < $800.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Thanks for the Recs.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2396907273900162/

Thoughts on this set up?
Not crazy about the Titan T-2, but it seems like I could sell it in a few months if I wanted to.
2x rogue brand bumper 45s, 2x off brand 45s, the rest are various steel. 2x45, 2x35, 2x25, 4x10, 3x5, 2x2.5
hurricanejake02
AG
Mine ended up falling a little higher than your estimates, but I built a pretty similar garage gym, designed around doing Stronglifts.

I would warn you about the wall-mounted folding racks - most manufacturer's (especially Rogue) do not recommend the use of safety or spotter arms in conjunction with the wall mounted racks, for fear of the rack pulling out of the wall if you dropped a loaded bar on the spotter arms. This was the reason I ended up with a regular squat stand, since I often lift alone.

Here's what I ended up with (most of this was 2016 pricing):
Rack
Craigslist - Rogue S-2 Squat Stand
$350.00
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-s2-squat-stand-2-0

Rack Accessories
Rogue Infinity J-Cups (2nd set)
$65.00
http://www.roguefitness.com/extra-infinity-j-cup-set
Rogue Spotter Arms
$166.32
http://www.roguefitness.com/set-of-safety-spotter-arms
Rogue Dip Bar
$108.92
http://www.roguefitness.com/the-rogue-matador

Bench:
Craigslist - Rogue Flat Bench 2.0
$100.00
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-flat-utility-bench

Flooring
Craigslist - Tractor Supply - Stall Mats (4)
$50.00
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rubber-mat-black-4-ft-x-6-ft?cm_vc=-10005

Barbell
Cap OB-86PBCK
$180.21
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006R4EOXM

Barbell Accessories
Cap 2" Collars
$7.35
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BJKWXK
Rogue Mini Deadlift Bar Jack
$62.50
http://www.roguefitness.com/mini-deadlift-bar-jack

Plates
Bolt Rubber Coated (445 lbs)
$1/lb
https://boltfitnesssupply.com/main-product-id-73-lightning-rubber-coated-weight-plates-bolt
Rogue 1-1/4lb Change Plates
$19.20
http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-olympic-plates

Storage Accessories
Wall Mounted Plate Racks - Custom made, local machine shop.
$120.00

Rowing Machine
Craigslist - Concept 2 Model C
$600.00
https://www.concept2.com/service/indoor-rowers/model-c

All in, I'm right at $2,300, including the Rower, for which I likely overpaid for the older model. The Bolt plates were from a local Houston outfit that was operating out of his garage at the time, and the stall mats, squat rack, and bench were all a local craigslist find.

This was taken before the rower was added, and I can assure you that the horns on the wall have in fact been sawed off.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I like that rack and wall plate storage. Do you have it bolted down?

From reading online, it looks like you can use the spotter arms with the fold outs, but they won't advocate it since they can't be sure if you mounted it to your wall correctly. I'll only be using mine for bench and I max at 195 right now, so I'm thinking it'll be okay. I'll have bumpers so for failed squats I'll just drop without the spotters.

I think what I've decided is this:
Titan T3 folding wall rack with stringer and spotter arms $390
Fringe barbell, 250# bumpers (4-45,2-25,2-10), iron plate set (2-10, 2-5, 2-2.5), flat bench $700
Total $1090

I'll grab some stall mats for flooring at TSC.
hurricanejake02
AG
I don't have my squat rack bolted down. The base is broad enough that it's been stable through everything I've thrown at it.

I think you're correct about the folding racks. The manufacturer can't verify that you installed correctly, or that you aren't going to drop 500lbs on it from height. It's risk mitigation more than anything else.

Your selection looks good - you should be able to do quite a bit with that setup. Be sure to make sure any rack attachments you might want are available in 2x3 sizes - most are, but there are a few out there that only exist for a 3x3 rack.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Was kind of wondering about the 2x3 vs 3x3. The 3x3 set up is only $50 more.
Worth the upgrade?
hurricanejake02
AG
The 2x3 is plenty strong for what you're doing, but since commercial racks are often 3x3, everyone makes their accessories to fit that size. The question is then if they adapt it over to 2x3.

For $50, I'd at least consider the upgrade to the 3x3.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have a 2x3, if it is only $50 get the 3x3. If you want to add something later it is hard to find used 2x3 stuff.

Also, I bought the Fringe bumper sets with the 35s and 15s and I am glad I did. Mostly because my wife works out at the same time and it makes for less plate changes but there are times when it is nice.

As mentioned my rack is a fold up rack, it is great for my purposes but the rare times I drop weight on the catch bars it flexes the shop walls enough to notice. If I was serious about getting into big weights I woul have one that bolts to the floor.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Well that's concerning about that shop walls flexing. Did you install with stringers?

Is it strong enough that a dip attachment is possible off of one the posts?
javajaws
AG
One additional consideration when deciding between 2x3 or 3x3 is that generally those options (from Rogue at least) have the same interior dimensions. What this then means is that you have a 2" difference in the outside width. So the 2x3 will have more space to rack your bar while the 3x3 has less space (enough to rack...but more likely to bang the uprights).
AggieGunslinger
AG
Yes, I do dips on it every week without any issues. The only time it flexes is when I have the TRX hooked up and I'm doing exercises that are more perpendicular to the wall. Or like last week when I dropped a hundred and thirty-five lb from the top of an overhead press and it landed on the catch bars. most of the issue is with the wall it's attached to, it's a metal sided wood frame shop, not my garage or room in the house.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Went ahead and ordered the 3x3 since it was actually only $30 more and it came with an extra set of J-Cups.

Now to clear out the garage and get ready for install.
bcasey03
AG
I would buy quality on rack and barbell. Rogue will have a ton of rack accessories and great warranty.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
javajaws said:

One additional consideration when deciding between 2x3 or 3x3 is that generally those options (from Rogue at least) have the same interior dimensions. What this then means is that you have a 2" difference in the outside width. So the 2x3 will have more space to rack your bar while the 3x3 has less space (enough to rack...but more likely to bang the uprights).

Hmm. Good point. I actually cancelled my 3x3 order and went back with the 2x3 order because of this concern. Read some reviews saying there was less than an inch on each side when racking. That's not much clearance.
P.U.T.U
AG
A lot depends on how much you will be pushing around too. I bought the Fitness Reality 810XT a few years ago for $150 shipped with their FID bench for like $75 and both have held up nicely. I am not pushing around too much weight (rarely load more than 300 on the bar with the exception of deadlifts which I do from the floor anyways) and it still works like a champ. Got a dip bar to fit, weight storage that hang off of the post, barbell set, kettle bells, sand bags, hex bar, and some rings. Is it the best? By no means is it but it works for what I do. I have other hobbies and a family so if I can save some cash I will.

It is hard for me to justify used racks unless it is a killer deal, by the time you take them apart, transport them, put them back together you just used up a bunch of time. Or you can get free shipping from someone like Titan and save the time. A 2x3 will more than fit your needs.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Got my garage gym finally set up this weekend and got my first workout in this morning.

Love being able to roll out of bed and hit some weights and then being able to shower in my own shower.

I'll take a couple of pics later. Spent more than I planned originally, but it ended up nice.

FringeSport folding rack
$398.65
Wonder bar barbell
250 lbs bumpers (4x45, 2x25, 2x10)
15 lbs iron (5 & 2.5)
Fringe Bench
$759.05
Used NordicTrack C900 Treadmill
$250 off Craigslist
4 horse stall mats from TSC
$180
$1587.70

Probably could have waited a little while and gotten some better deals, but I ended up with some great stuff.

Still need another pair of 10 lb bumpers, and a wall mounted barbell and plate holder. Some safety spotters would probably be a good idea as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.