Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Probiotics for men question

3,125 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by KidDoc
Rockdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After a bout of GI problems that I'm finally getting over, I've decided to start taking a daily probiotic. Problem is, there are soooo many out there I really don't know which one to take. Some are cheap and some are expensive. Some refrigerated some not. Anybody want to offer a rec?
Potcake
AG
Align

I don't take it daily but take it for a week or two if my gut gets jacked up from traveling
Nosh
Activia or Danactive are your best bets for effectiveness, convenience, flavor, and price point. Probiotics aren't targeted for men or women. If they are, it's purely a marketing scheme.
Hoosegow
I've started taking fiber. For a guy who hates supplements, I highly recommend it. In two days, I can tell a huge difference.
Class of '94
Truvada_for_prep
I don't think probotics do much...Hoose what fiber supplement do you take?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Hoosegow said:

I've started taking fiber. For a guy who hates supplements, I highly recommend it. In two days, I can tell a huge difference.
Metamucil is awesome.
Truvada_for_prep
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Hoosegow said:

Metamucil is awesome.
benefiber or meta which do yall recommend?
Nosh
They are different types of fiber.
SnowboardAg
AG
A couple that I would recommend based on personal experience and talking to holistic / nutritionists.

1. Zana Juice - I must forewarn you, this stuff tastes like absolute crap (you keep it in the fridge and drink it). Nothing helps the smell, but I think it's probably the best out there. If I was going for legit probiotic, this is what I would go after - I just couldn't stomach it after 1 bottle.

2. Ultraflora Intensive Care by Metagenics - I buy this through fullscripts (a nutritionist), but it's capsules that are refrigerated.

For starters, I would probably recommend starting with Zana and then maybe moving over to Ultraflora
Hoosegow
Heb brand. Cheapest I can get. Everything else you are paying for a name
Class of '94
chris1515
AG
Why do you need to take them daily? I would think if they are working, the bacteria would establish themselves in the gut and not need a "reinforcement" every day.

I'm curious about that.
redcrayon
AG
I take the Good Belly shots.
Harry Stone
AG
I think taking probiotics are good however I don't think they will really work as advertised until you've 'cleaned' out your gut. You've got to get rid of, or significantly reduce the 'bad' bacteria first before introducing the probiotic. It's a process that can take weeks of complete alteration of your diet. Your gut probably has bad fungi as well, most likely from high levels of yeast. Once you decide to greatly alter your diet, which in the beginning may be through a complete depletion of yeast, wheat, soy, etc, then you'd want to take an anti-fungal, like Nystatin, to kill off the remaining yeast. Basically clean your entire gut out, introduce it to a healthy diet, then introduce a probiotic. It'd be something like a simple vegetable/lean protein diet only, for 2 weeks, and begin nystatin or an anti-fungal 2 weeks in (and take for 4-6 weeks). After about 4 weeks into a very stripped down diet, slowly introduce other foods (good grains, certain fruits, etc) into the diet. In 6-8 weeks begin taking a probiotic, and as someone mentioned, Metagenics UltraFlora is a great option, although not cheap. This isn't necessarily an exact plan, just something to use as a foundation for researching. Good luck.
Nosh
KidDoc
AG
Harry Stone said:

I think taking probiotics are good however I don't think they will really work as advertised until you've 'cleaned' out your gut. You've got to get rid of, or significantly reduce the 'bad' bacteria first before introducing the probiotic. It's a process that can take weeks of complete alteration of your diet. Your gut probably has bad fungi as well, most likely from high levels of yeast. Once you decide to greatly alter your diet, which in the beginning may be through a complete depletion of yeast, wheat, soy, etc, then you'd want to take an anti-fungal, like Nystatin, to kill off the remaining yeast. Basically clean your entire gut out, introduce it to a healthy diet, then introduce a probiotic. It'd be something like a simple vegetable/lean protein diet only, for 2 weeks, and begin nystatin or an anti-fungal 2 weeks in (and take for 4-6 weeks). After about 4 weeks into a very stripped down diet, slowly introduce other foods (good grains, certain fruits, etc) into the diet. In 6-8 weeks begin taking a probiotic, and as someone mentioned, Metagenics UltraFlora is a great option, although not cheap. This isn't necessarily an exact plan, just something to use as a foundation for researching. Good luck.
Any links to articles proving any of this means anything?

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but this sounds like hogwash to me as a physician but I am happy to be proven wrong.

The only current proven benefit of probiotics as of a recent metanalysis was to help with antibiotic associated diarrhea. The rest of the advertised benefits are very iffy.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Harry Stone
AG
KidDoc said:

Harry Stone said:

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk but this sounds like hogwash to me as a physician but I am happy to be proven wrong.

The only current proven benefit of probiotics as of a recent metanalysis was to help with antibiotic associated diarrhea. The rest of the advertised benefits are very iffy.

what kind of doctor are you? what i was just referring is just some info from a physician friend of mine who studied functional and integrative medicine with dr richard weil while at Harvard. he is a bit older gent so much of his info isnt linked online, but if you have some questions i can certainly ask him for you.
KidDoc
AG
Harry Stone said:

KidDoc said:

Harry Stone said:

what kind of doctor are you? what i was just referring is just some info from a physician friend of mine who studied functional and integrative medicine with dr richard weil while at Harvard. he is a bit older gent so much of his info isnt linked online, but if you have some questions i can certainly ask him for you.
Pediatrician. Most of what I hear and read about yeast overgrowth in the gut is pseudoscience from former Dr Wakefield and Autism patients when he was discredited for his MMR study. I am simply not aware of good placebo controlled high power studies that prove any of what you typed is beneficial. It certainly is not part of the main body of knowledge in current modern medicine.

That doesn't mean it is wrong and I'm happy to learn more about it. I read voraciously and teach medical students and what you posted is not generally accepted as treatment facts at this time.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosh
It sounds more like a theoretical research model to develop a controlled environment.
88Warrior
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Hoosegow said:

Metamucil is awesome.

Yes it is! A game changer for me.
double aught
AG
What are the benefits?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Smooth daily moves!
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
My pulmonologist just prescribed me an antibiotic, Clindamycin 300 mg 3 x a day.

She mentioned taking probiotics, but should I be taking them while I'm starting my 10 day round of antibiotics or after it's complete?
Kool
AG
Start taking it with the antibiotics. Clindamycin can be really tough on the GI tract. Florastor is an excellent variety but there are others.
KidDoc
AG
DrHeadShrink said:

My pulmonologist just prescribed me an antibiotic, Clindamycin 300 mg 3 x a day.

She mentioned taking probiotics, but should I be taking them while I'm starting my 10 day round of antibiotics or after it's complete?
Like Kool said start now. Florastor or Culturelle both have good data helping specifically with antibiotic associated diarrhea. The last time I took clinda my main complete was the metallic taste in my mouth all day long- yech!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.