Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

I think I like running.

6,829 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ptothemo
Nosh
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I started running about a month ago. The last time I ran regularly was sprinting in HS 20 years ago. I usually lift about 4-5 days a week but never do any cardiovascular work.

As a new challenge I started running. I jog around a local park and started with 1 mile. I would alternate jogging and walking each side of the park. After 2 weeks I could jog the whole mile without stopping and also determined that 1 mile wasn't enough so I started running 2 miles. After 2 more weeks I have bumped it up to 3 because 2 wasn't cutting it.

Now I'm running 3 miles a day (5 days now) and am already thinking I want to do 4. It's weird because 6 weeks ago I hated any thought of running. I would get off work and just want to go home and relax. Now I get off work and can't wait to go run. The other morning I took my dog to the park and it was hot and humid. My response was that I wanted to run in that hot mess! I'm glad I started a month ago.

Am I losing my mind? I think I enjoy running! It's so weird! I think I'm a runner now.
Nosh
I should also say that my knees and lower back hurt a little with every increasing mile, especially the knee that I had acl surgery on. I've had to ice it a couple times. But the pain has gone away after a few days and I keep going. I feel so good!

I don't think I'll be doing anything above 5 miles. I think 20-25 miles a week is pretty good!
texagbeliever
There is no better time to start running then summer in Texas!

Once you get into a rhythm it is always enjoyable to see improvement. I would encourage some light stretching in your warm up and good long stretching (after hydrating!) post run. I recently cramped up while stretching post run and my back sidelined me for a week.
Truvada_for_prep
In before weight lifting is better cardio than running
agcivengineer
AG
Make sure you are stretching and rolling your muscles.
Aston04
AG
It can be addicting if you build the habit- good luck!
ptothemo
AG
The moment you realize that you actually enjoy running and want to do it more is rather confusing. It will make you question everything have said and done for years. It will make you wonder about your future. It will make you want to buy new shoes. It really is almost existential.

Keep up the good work and run on!
bert harbinson
AG
Welcome to the masochistic world of those who enjoy running. As addictions go, it's a mostly positive one. Good luck and use caution on increasing your mileage.
Counterpoint
AG
Welcome! If you still love it in August, you truly love it.

Nosh
Im not very fast. I dont shuffle but Im not long striding either. Its a decent "just keep moving" pace. I dont care about speed, just distance.

I am using the $45 saucony from Academy as they have always felt good on my feet. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money if I dont have to.

It takes me about 3 laps to get into the breathing/striding rhythm but after that I feel like I can keep going. Im going to run a mile when I get home and that will put me at 4 miles on the day.
wangus12
AG
bert harbinson said:

Welcome to the masochistic world of those who enjoy running. As addictions go, it's a mostly positive one. Good luck and use caution on increasing your mileage.
My pt bills suggest otherwise
txags92
AG
Nosh said:

I started running about a month ago. The last time I ran regularly was sprinting in HS 20 years ago. I usually lift about 4-5 days a week but never do any cardiovascular work.

As a new challenge I started running. I jog around a local park and started with 1 mile. I would alternate jogging and walking each side of the park. After 2 weeks I could jog the whole mile without stopping and also determined that 1 mile wasn't enough so I started running 2 miles. After 2 more weeks I have bumped it up to 3 because 2 wasn't cutting it.

Now I'm running 3 miles a day (5 days now) and am already thinking I want to do 4. It's weird because 6 weeks ago I hated any thought of running. I would get off work and just want to go home and relax. Now I get off work and can't wait to go run. The other morning I took my dog to the park and it was hot and humid. My response was that I wanted to run in that hot mess! I'm glad I started a month ago.

Am I losing my mind? I think I enjoy running! It's so weird! I think I'm a runner now.
Go lay down for a bit and the feeling will pass. Works every time for me.
EdmondEd
It is very good for health.
I have been running for 10 years and I feel great
aggiederelict
Congrats on running. I love working with runners and helping them reach their running goals pain free. Keep us updated to your progress.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
texagbeliever said:

There is no better time to start running then summer in Texas!
This. if you stick with it through the summer, when cooler weather starts to come around its amazing watching your pace magically get faster without feeling any harder.
Nosh
Still doing 4 miles a day. Im not running the entire 4, but I am getting the distance in. Thats mainly what I care about. I feel so good but some night my legs feel "jazzed up" and I have a hard time falling asleep.
coolerguy12
AG
You will know you're hooked when you go on vacation and wake up early to run. Keep up the good work.
AgPediRPh
AG
Great work! That's pretty much how I started; 2 miles a day then gradually added some distance until 6 miles a day was relatively easy.

And I echo the sentiment: if you can gut through the summer, you will love the cool fall runs!
Nosh
I've been putting 20 miles in each week even though I don't log it in the daily thread.

Running is weird. Some days I'm sore and others I'm not. Some days I sweat like a hog, others I don't. Some nights I sleep great and struggle with the run the next day. Then I get very little sleep last night and then the run feels easy and I want to keep going. It's so random but I guess that's normal.
c-jags
I'd say that's fairly normal. There's some days where I go out and feel great the whole run. I run out of time before I run out of energy.

Some days I go out and feel terrible and wheezy with dead legs from the first mile on.

Summer really sucks.
Nosh
Good to know that it is normal. I have actually loved summer running so far. Of course Im only doing 4 miles a day so it isnt too bad. I love the sweat! I havent sweat like that since I was an athlete in high school. Although it does sting a bit when it gets in the eyes.
Nosh
How long should I keep my shoes? Is there a mileage I should consider buying a new pair?
bert harbinson
AG
You'll get a lot of answers, but generally 300-500 miles. Many variables...your weight, running surface, how you run, shoe construction. I don't go by mileage, rather by treadwear and when comfort/support starts to diminish. Many runners will start to rotate-in new shoes while there's still plenty of life in the older pair.
ptothemo
AG
Everything said above plus I would add that sweaty summer miles are harder on shoes, particularly if they don't have time to dry out between runs. If you are running every day - or close to it - this time of year, it wouldn't hurt to rotate at least two pairs.
Nosh
Good to know thanks! I am getting a solid 20 a week and have been for a month now so I'm only around 130 miles or so on this pair. I'll try to start rotating my next pair in the next few weeks.
agcivengineer
AG
My goal is to get 500 miles however i start paying closer attention to the shoe about 300. I only use the running shoe for running, no other activities. I try to buy the previous year model by searching all over the internet so i dont go broke buying running shoes. The old pair then rotates to become my "walking around shoe" and the walking around shoe becomes the "yard working shoe".
c-jags
I rotate a lot of shoes, but you can usually feel when a shoe breaks down, if not visually see it.

My last pair of brooks got about 500 miles and there was a day where I felt them not really taking turns well and looked and realized they had just about faded all the way down and the plastic logo was peeling off.
Your Friend
Running gets under your skin. Keep at it, Nosh!
Nosh
Thanks for the encouragement!
Dad-O-Lot
AG
I hate running, but it feels so good when I stop.
People of integrity expect to be believed, when they're not, they let time prove them right.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
So now that it's August, do you still like running?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosh
YokelRidesAgain said:

So now that it's August, do you still like running?

Still making 20 miles a week. Oddly I seem to enjoy the hot running. I sweat like a hog and that feels good too.

I was coming here to provide another update. I started running to help with my chronically high BP. It's been in the upper 130s now for years. I had a doctor's appointment today and had my BP checked. It was 123/67! The running is working!
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Good bull!

(Now that you've had a little taste, time to start training for the marathon...you know you want to.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosh
Just wanted to update that Ive bumped it up to 5 miles per day now. I run in the morning so the heat doesnt bother me. I sort of like it. I dont think I will do more than 25 miles a week for the sake of my joints.

5 miles a day in 4-5 months. Its hard to believe!
aTm_bomb
AG
What sort of changes in your health have you seen? Lost weight? Leaner frame? Bp? Cholesterol?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.