Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Shortness of breath during exercise

1,126 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Carny89
Carny89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm 42. I went to the dr about a year ago because of this. He gave me an inhaler prior to exercise. I used it off and on. Seemed ok I guess. This past weekend we went dancing. I was so winded. I'm maybe 15 lbs over weight. I eat decent. I hit the treadmill 3 days a week. 20 mins a time. I don't go all out on it however. I don't smoke. Ever. Normal moving I'm good. It's got me worried. Should I exercise a bit harder to get back the stamina? Should I go back to the dr? TIA
Kool
AG
Perhaps your conditioning is just poor. However, anemia, pulmonary issues including exercise induced asthma, and cardiac disease can all (among other things) cause shortness of breath. If it's a significant change, or outside of what you feel you should be experiencing in relation to your overall conditioning, by all means get it checked out.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Go to doctor and get checked. Cardiac related issues can have atypical signs and symptoms.
Carny89
I'm going to get a appointment with my local lung dr tomorrow. I hope it's just that I'm out of shape. I spoke to a cousin who is a breathing nurse only, she said it sounds like exercise induced asthma. I'll find out soon enough. Other than that I feel great. I do more anaerobic than aerobic exercise. This might be the issue. Thanks for responding
AtlAg75
AG
Reading a book right now called The Oxygen Advantage by Patrick McKeown. Awesome book that talks about correct breathing techniques and how that will help with fitness, asthma, training, sleeping and more. If you are a mouth breather (many people are and don't realize it) it will lead to a reduction in the ability of your body to process CO2, resulting in shortness of breath among other i health issues.

Has already made a huge difference in my sleep by eliminating mouth breathing at night.
txags92
AG
Carny89 said:

I'm going to get a appointment with my local lung dr tomorrow. I hope it's just that I'm out of shape. I spoke to a cousin who is a breathing nurse only, she said it sounds like exercise induced asthma. I'll find out soon enough. Other than that I feel great. I do more anaerobic than aerobic exercise. This might be the issue. Thanks for responding
What does the bolded mean relative to your previous statement about 20 mins on the treadmill but not going all out? Are you talking about resistance training or weightlifting? Normally, when people talk about anaerobic training, it means going hard enough to get their HR beyond the aerobic zone...i.e. going close to all out. Do you track your HR at all when you work out? If your treadmill work is mostly low intensity walking/jogging and you are not doing other exercise that raises your HR above that level, it is probably just that the dancing is getting you there. But getting checked out by a doctor is the best avenue...I suspect a treadmill stress test is in your future.
Carny89
I did pick up the heart rate this morning to around 180. Did a mile. Average 150. I just got a bit lazy. I'm pretty decent strong. But looking fit and not feeling it sucks. I have a appointment for June 4
Carny89
Well. Went to dr. Turns out I'm anemic. Iron levels are in the tank. On 700mg a day for 30 days. Should be back up in no time. Diet is off I guess.
Kool
AG
Glad to see you got it checked out. If you are not a premenopausal female, and maybe even if you are, you still need to figure out why you are anemic once it's treated. Don't forget about the GI tract's role in causing anemia, either through blood loss or malabsorption. Good luck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Carny89
Thx. I'm a 240 lb guy who is somewhat built. Damn shame I can't act like it. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be a brand new man.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.