Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Patellofemoral pain syndrome

2,625 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Na Zdraví 87
BallerStaf2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the last five months, I've had a lot of pain in my knees (especially right) whenever I squat, run, or jump. I went to a sports medicine doctor and he stated that I have Patellofemoral pain syndrome from playing basketball my entire life.

It's kind of like jumpers knee but worse.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20350792

I had cortisone injections in both knees last month and they were no help. After telling the doctor, he sent me to physical therapy and I've done five sessions and still feel no better.

I'm moving to Los Angeles July 1st and am wondering if y'all think I should ask to have a scope on my knees done or should I continue physical therapy?

The scope should smooth the kneecap out and help but it's not guaranteed. Has anyone had arthroscopic surgery for this? Did it help? I'm 38.
ptothemo
AG
I really could have sworn there was a thread about this a while back, but it's not coming up for me in a search. Maybe someone else will remember it and bump it or link to it. Or maybe I'm just totally off base.

So I'm not much help here, but I really do think it was discussed at some point.
zachsccr
AG
I know there are some licensed PTs or doctors around here somewhere. Aggiederelict has a thread on this board about his PT practice, so you might want to ask him.
Have they done any dynamic analysis of your running, landing, cutting, etc? Depending on a lot of things, might be too early to see the pay off.
I'm only finishing my first year of PT school, so I will defer to more experienced and accredited individuals.
BallerStaf2003
AG
zachsccr said:

I know there are some licensed PTs or doctors around here somewhere. Aggiederelict has a thread on this board about his PT practice, so you might want to ask him.
Have they done any dynamic analysis of your running, landing, cutting, etc? Depending on a lot of things, might be too early to see the pay off.
I'm only finishing my first year of PT school, so I will defer to more experienced and accredited individuals.

No, they haven't done anything like that. I'm not exactly explosive at this point. Part of the problem may be my weight. I'm 6'0 235 but body fat is around 10%. Regardless it's a lot of weight to carry.

They said my hip was only slightly out of alignment, and have been doing a lot of stretches and hip strengthening exercises to get it stabilized. Just haven't seen any improvement.
Hoosegow
What you want may be irrelevant. Your insurance will probably dictate the course of treatment which will be to continue PT.

On a side note I bet your doctor owns the PT business and will want to milk as much money off of you as he can. Unfortunately if you move to LA you'll probably have to start the whole process over.
Class of '94
BallerStaf2003
AG
Hoosegow said:

What you want may be irrelevant. Your insurance will probably dictate the course of treatment which will be to continue PT.

On a side note I bet your doctor owns the PT business and will want to milk as much money off of you as he can. Unfortunately if you move to LA you'll probably have to start the whole process over.

Someone forgot their morning coffee today.
bigtruckguy3500
Though a bit jaded of a view, Hoosegow is not necessarily wrong.

Without an MRI, surgery shouldn't even be on the table. Also, PT is one of those things that feels like nothing is happening for a long time, then suddenly it'll start getting better. PT first has to resolve the dysfunction that's causing pain/inflammation, then your body has to have time to heal the inflammation.
Hoosegow
New here baller?
Class of '94
Ronyaria
Do you take some painkillers? Which work better for you? I need some or me too, and I am looking for them on Canadian pharmacy online. Maybe you can recommend something that will work for me as well, that would be very nice!
03_Aggie
Have you had a MRI?
wcb
AG
Where are you located? I had a knee MRI in DFW a year or two ago. Going the insurance route it was going to be like a month before they could get me in and a ~$500 deductible. I found a place that got me in the next day for ~$400 cash. Shop around before just going blindly with the recommendation of the doc.
BallerStaf2003
AG
03_Aggie said:

Have you had a MRI?

I haven't. I thought I should get one and the doc said it wasn't necessary because there's no ligament damage and he's basically 100% sure it's kneecap damage. I called him and left a message today that physical therapy is doing absolutely nothing so will see what he comes back with.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Ronyaria said:

Do you take some painkillers? Which work better for you?

Advil helps some but not enough to do any of the activities I miss doing.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Quick update: Arthroscopic knee surgery on both knees scheduled for June 4th. Really excited about it. Wish me luck!
aggiederelict
What exactly are they doing surgically?
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
BallerStaf2003 said:

zachsccr said:

No, they haven't done anything like that. I'm not exactly explosive at this point. Part of the problem may be my weight. I'm 6'0 235 but body fat is around 10%. Regardless it's a lot of weight to carry.

They said my hip was only slightly out of alignment, and have been doing a lot of stretches and hip strengthening exercises to get it stabilized. Just haven't seen any improvement.
Dang dude you must be freakin jacked
BallerStaf2003
AG
aggiederelict said:

What exactly are they doing surgically?

Basically this:

Cleaning my kneecap and some adjoining tissue to hopefully knock the problem out.
BallerStaf2003
AG
I've been lifting since I was 15 so I'd hope so!
BallerStaf2003
AG
I had bilateral arthroscopic knee surgery two days ago and am up walking around with minimal swelling. Hopefully once the swelling goes down my knee will feel better.

Doc said that there was quite a bit of damage and a lot to smooth out.
PatAg
AG
Why did you have a surgery when you could have just lost 30 pounds?
BallerStaf2003
AG
Bc I'm 10% body fat.
aggiederelict
How is the knee feeling now? How is your swelling coming along? Have you started PT yet?
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Moving to LA sounds worse than your knee pain.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.