Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Strength Training & Cardio

2,091 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Truvada_for_prep
Frok
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why does it seem like most online "experts" are for one or the other? I'm trying to do 3 days strength and 3 days cardio. However some trainers are saying if I do cardio for longer than 30 minutes I will kill my strength exercises.

I'm not looking to body build, I just want to be lean and healthy. I'm curious what others do? I can't just lift weights and do sprints. That sounds really boring.

Killin Me Smalls
AG
Although I have scaled back on Crossfit for multiple reasons, this was what made it attractive to me. Most workouts were a good combination of cardio and strength training.

HIIT is the way to go for me. I have a very tough time just doing "cardio".
RG20
If You want to be lean with some decent muscle mass. I'd focus on slightly reducing your calories, upping protein intake and Lifting with progressive overload. Don't start really heavy, and work in a lot of volume (sets/reps).

For Cardio, just do what you enjoy and adjust the intensity and frequency. If you feel like you are losing muscle mass, add back the calories. Just walking with an incline can be good cardio for most people.

Just my take.
Frok
AG
I have been adjusting my diet. Of course that seems to make the biggest impact of anything.

I guess what I want is to do the cardio I love but not undo my strength workouts during the week. However I'm probably not doing anything extreme enough to do that.

I'm just a middle aged guy trying to keep in decent shape despite working at the office.
Hoosegow
Don't overthink it. You aren't trying to be a powerlifter or a bodybuilder. You are just trying to be healthy. Like you said, I highly doubt you are doing enough to really hurt one way or another. Do what you enjoy because in the long run, that'll be what keeps you at it.

Class of '94
Truvada_for_prep
I always get a ****le out of seeing big dudes who are strong but have a big gut .

If you are not running marathons you are fine .
Hoosegow
You only get strong by getting big.
Class of '94
P.U.T.U
AG
Yes slow steady state cardio can hinder your gains but most people will work out or run hard enough to notice too much. Mixing it up is a good thing and keeps some people from getting bored. Hoosegow is spot on, just do something you like
10andBOUNCE
AG
Lifting heavy will get your HR up no problem
bam02
AG
Louis botha said:

I always get a ****le out of seeing big dudes who are strong but have a big gut .

They probably get a laugh out of seeing you, too.
Truvada_for_prep
bam02 said:

Louis botha said:

They probably get a laugh out of seeing you, too.

You mean like when your wife sees you naked .
Truvada_for_prep
Hoosegow said:

You only get strong by getting big.

Awesome you can lift a ton but not a run a mile without stopping .
Geriatric Punk
AG
His definition of strong is different than most. Mine is different than his, but I respect his commitment to his area of fitness. I love to lift, but love running, too. Do what you dig and what keeps you moving.

The world needs power lifters, distance runners, and cross-breeds. It could do without lazy tubbers.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Phat32
AG
Can say I've lost tons of muscle since getting deep into triathlon, but that is to be expected with 6-12 hours per week of cardio.

When it was lighter (4-5 hours/week of strength, 4-5 of cardio), I had no problem maintaining mass.

Adding 2-3 hours of low intensity should do nothing but help.
Hoosegow
I can lift a ton. Why would I need to run... at all?

Lol. I've dedicated my time and resources to run a marathon. I've dedicated my time and resources to become a world champion powerlifter. I've been skinny ****ing weak and I've been fat stupid scary strong. I respect the time and effort it takes to do endurosports and strength sports. I'm not good at either and the only thing I'm good at is being stubborn.

What I've discovered is no one cares how fast you ran a marathon. No one cares how much you can squat. Personal fitness is a choice and a matter of perception and preference. The choices you make now will affect your future.

I would never recommend anyone becoming a serious fitness athlete - enduro or strength. I understand it, but I dont recommend it. It robs you of you body and your time. I do recommend to strike a balance between the two. Be functional strong and have a good cardio base. Enjoy what you do and continue to do it.
Class of '94
CFTXAG10
AG
Hoosegow said:

Lol. I've dedicated my time and resources to run a marathon. I've dedicated my time and resources to become a world champion powerlifter. I've been skinny ****ing weak and I've been fat stupid scary strong. I respect the time and effort it takes to do endurosports and strength sports. I'm not good at either and the only thing I'm good at is being stubborn.

What I've discovered is no one cares how fast you ran a marathon. No one cares how much you can squat. Personal fitness is a choice and a matter of perception and preference. The choices you make now will affect your future.

I would never recommend anyone becoming a serious fitness athlete - enduro or strength. I understand it, but I dont recommend it. It robs you of you body and your time. I do recommend to strike a balance between the two. Be functional strong and have a good cardio base. Enjoy what you do and continue to do it.
Wish I could give this way more stars.
Truvada_for_prep
CFTXAG10 said:

Hoosegow said:

Wish I could give this way more stars.

Oh I know so do I
Post removed:
by user
Phat32
AG
100%. Especially the "no one cares how fast..." part.
Truvada_for_prep
And no one cares how much you bench either
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.