Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Trail running shoe recs

907 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Geriatric Punk
Geriatric Punk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing R2R and am going shoe over boot, as we aren't carrying much gear. Need a good trail runner. Cascadias were the go to years back. I like the knobby grip of the Altra trail shoes, but not the zero drop. The new balance Hierro looks good.

Appreciate any suggestions.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Keep in mind that grip is my biggest concern, as we'll be chewing a lot of alt gain/loss.
ptothemo
AG
Check the end of the 2019 trail running thread. Shoes have been the most recent topic of discussion.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Gracias.
tmtxco
AG
I ran R2R in a pair of Hoka Speed Instincts a couple of years ago. They have more traction than a road shoe but not an extreme grip.

Most any trail shoe will work for you if you have good conditions (not muddy or snowy). I'd place some value in having cushion as you will have a lot of impact on the downhills. Also, a pair of ultralight hiking poles will be nice on the uphill.
AggieOO
I did R2R2R in the cascadia last time. Will do it in the Nike Wildhorse this time around.

If you are doing Bright Angel and South/North Kaibab, its not very technical. We did experience mud on the way up and back from the north rim due to fall and melting snow though.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Perfect. I've heard good things about the Wildhorse. I'll give them a look. And, ya, we are just doing SK to BA in a straight shot. Will stop at the river to rest and eat, but then shoot back up. crush it all on a Thursday night. Back in Flagstaff for beers by lunch.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Tried some Cascadia 13 GTXs yesterday. Fell in love. Super tacky lugs and nice wide toe-box. Will purchase when I get my REI 20% off coupon this week. $160 sticker is ridiculous.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.