Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Wife is seeing a chiropractor for her knee...Is this legit?

1,309 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggiederelict
TwoMarksHand
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So the SO is getting ready for a big marathon. Been having a little knee troubles, and is started to see a chiropractor to help out.

All I know of chiropractors is that they are not doctors. This has me worried we might be wasting money. Anyone have any advice? What to look for? How to make sure this is not a scam?
YourFavAggie
AG
My wife gets her knee's adjusted from a chiro fairly regularly. She has been able to be much more active without the pain that she used to feel. So she is very happy, but I know peoples experiences with Chiro's vary greatly

Eyes of texas Crying
SJEAg
AG
I'd at least consult with an ortho/sports medicine doctor. See what they say, get an MRI, etc just so you know what you're dealing with and your options.

jopatura
AG
If the chiro wants to her to pay for multiple visits upfront, tries to push lifestyle plans, or sells MLM products, run far away.
P.U.T.U
AG
For what issues? I cannot think of any condition a chiro would help with with knee problems. Most likely overuse or a muscle imbalance problem.
AggieOO
is the chiro working on soft tissue or doing "adjustments?" if its the former, it could potentially be beneficial if its myofascial release type work that is treating the injury. If its joint popping, then I think that stuff is BS.
bigtruckguy3500
If she's getting exercises to do at home, along with soft tissue/mobilization work, then there may be a benefit. If it's just a quick pop, feel better, come back for another pop to feel better, then she'd be better off going to a PT/sports med doc.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Update:

They checked out her legs, and hooked her up to a TENS machine. Went over a couple of issues that she needs to correct (such as which muscles need to get stronger). She is going back in a couple days. They are going to set her up with a exercise regiment. That's all I know so far.
lazuras_dc
AG
Sounds like that's a good thing. The "quack" chiro's I've seen usually don't do much soft tissue work or talk about imbalances, stretches, or exercises for strengthening weak areas. They just crack and pop and you're out the door.
KidDoc
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

Update:

They checked out her legs, and hooked her up to a TENS machine. Went over a couple of issues that she needs to correct (such as which muscles need to get stronger). She is going back in a couple days. They are going to set her up with a exercise regiment. That's all I know so far.
This basically sounds like what PT would do, and that would likely be covered by your insurance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiederelict
TwoMarksHand,

Where are you located? I can help find you someone if she isn't getting much help. Just like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones.

Hell, you could buy a TENS machine on Amazon for like $30. Has anybody actually looked at her running form?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.