Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Hashimoto Ideas and/or Doctor Recommendation

1,334 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by MD1993
golf05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I recently had a blood test that showed my Thyroid peroxidase antibodies were high (63). All of my other bloodwork came back normal. I have most of the symptoms of Hashimoto. My grandma has Hashimoto, and it's my understanding that it can be heriditary. From what I have read, you can have symptoms of Hashimoto even if the only irregularity in the blood tests is an elevated antibody level.
At this point, I am looking for ideas to eliminate the symptoms and solve the Hashimoto. Also, if you know a doctor near Bryan-College Station that you can recommend for this, I would appreciate it. My grandma takes hormone replacement to deal with the Hashimoto condition, but from what I have read, there are side effects from taking these hormones for long periods of time. At this point, I would like to explore any options, so please let me know if you have had success treating Hashimoto!
mrsbeer05
AG
I have a friend with it. I'll ask her what she's found that helps.
lazuras_dc
AG
If you're looking to attack on multiple fronts, I have a good friend who's a dietician who has personal experience with hashimoto and treats many patients with it. She does some awesome things with holistic lifestyle issues, Food sensitivities etc Give her a call !

https://chewsfoodwisely.com
KidDoc
AG
I haven't dealt with Hashimoto's in my practice as it is pretty rare in children. I looked it up in uptodate.com as I could use a refresher anyway. From current data and guidelines there is no way to stop or reverse the process of thyroid damage. The only long term treatment plan is to monitor TSH/Free T4 over time and once/if you become hypothyroid you then take thyroxine to replace the thyroid hormone your body can no longer make.

Here is the summary from the text:

SUMMARY
Hashimoto's thyroiditis is characterized clinically by gradual thyroid failure, with or without goiter formation, due primarily to autoimmune-mediated destruction of the thyroid gland involving apoptosis of thyroid epithelial cells. (See 'Introduction' above.)

The two major forms of Hashimoto's thyroiditis are goitrous autoimmune thyroiditis and atrophic autoimmune thyroiditis (often called primary myxedema), with the common pathologic feature being lymphocytic infiltration and follicular destruction (picture 1) and the common serological feature being the presence of high serum concentrations of antibodies to thyroid peroxidase (TPO) and thyroglobulin (Tg) (table 1). (See 'Clinical characteristics' above.)

The usual course of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is gradual loss of thyroid function. Among patients with this disorder who have mild (subclinical) hypothyroidism, exhibited as slight increases in thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) and the presence of thyroid antibodies, overt hypothyroidism occurs at a rate of approximately 5 percent per year. Overt hypothyroidism, once present, is permanent in nearly all cases, except in some children and postpartum women in whom it is often transient. (See 'Clinical characteristics' above.)

B cells from thyroid tissue of patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis are activated, as indicated by their ability to secrete thyroid antibodies spontaneously in vitro. T cells in patients with Hashimoto's thyroiditis react with processed thyroid antigens and peptides derived from these antigens. These activated T cells secrete cytokines which themselves activate a variety of other immune cells. T cells have three major roles in this disease: a role in antibody production (a Th2 type of function), a role in the apoptotic destruction of thyroid cells by activating cytotoxic T cells (a Th1 function), and a role in immunoregulation (Treg cells) (table 2). (See 'Role of B cells'above and 'The role of T cells' above.)

Several mechanisms have been proposed for the pathogenesis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. These include molecular mimicry and bystander activation including the involvement of thyroid cell expression of human leukocyte antigens (HLAs) and activation of thyroid cell apoptosis by a Fas ligand-Fas interaction (table 3). (See 'Potential mechanisms of thyroid injury' above.)

The cause of Hashimoto's thyroiditis is thought to be a combination of genetic susceptibility and environmental factors (table 3). (See 'Genetic susceptibility' above and 'Precipitating factors' above.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
lazuras_dc said:

If you're looking to attack on multiple fronts, I have a good friend who's a dietician who has personal experience with hashimoto and treats many patients with it. She does some awesome things with holistic lifestyle issues, Food sensitivities etc Give her a call !

https://chewsfoodwisely.com
dietitian!!!!
MD1993
AG
You should get on a Synthroid. I take a very high dose as my doctor told me my thyroid was basically not working at all. I am pretty sure I have had this since I was a teen, but it got worse over time. I was finally diagnosed when I was in my thirties, not late forties. The best thing is the removal of the always foggy brain, no sleep and no energy. One other benefit was when I was a teen I started having heart palpitations all the time. No doctor could figure it out and I lived with it and it change the direction of my life. Now, on the synthroid I have a normal life and feel I have control. I do take 125mcg of the synthroid every day.

Good luck, get a good doctor who will test till you reach the optimal level. Can take a year or more to find the right dosage.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.