Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Inspiratory Muscle Strength Training (IMST).

1,548 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Boo Weekley
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone doing this? Just read an article on it. I may give it a try.

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2019/02/25/novel-workout-improves-health

aggiebrad94
AG
Breather Fit

Just bought one for my runner.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Ha, that's the one I just bought on Amazon too.
texagbeliever
Interested in feedback once you try it out!
Eliminatus
AG
Looking for feedback on these if yall have any. I feel like these are over my $ limit of "just order and find out"

I suffered significant injury to both lungs years ago and have reduced lung capacity and efficiency. Getting back into running and the loss is even more acute after not being in shape. So looking for ways to kickstart it back up. Or at least to the max I can.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Service related injury?
bigtruckguy3500
What was your specific injury, if you don't mind sharing. If you've lost lung capacity, I don't think you can add it back by strengthening your inspiratory muscles. If the injury involved the chest wall, and you lost lung compliance, then perhaps strenghtening the muscles in the chest wall would make breathing easier. But I'm not really familiar with IMST. Though it does kind of sounds like those altitude masks that people wear.
Eliminatus
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

What was your specific injury, if you don't mind sharing. If you've lost lung capacity, I don't think you can add it back by strengthening your inspiratory muscles. If the injury involved the chest wall, and you lost lung compliance, then perhaps strenghtening the muscles in the chest wall would make breathing easier. But I'm not really familiar with IMST. Though it does kind of sounds like those altitude masks that people wear.
Vehicle accident. A bad one. Borderline flailed chest. Both lungs collapsed and had to be life flighted. Rib splinters and just sheer trauma left considerable scar tissue and from my understanding, this made my lungs more "rigid" resulting in lost capacity and healthy sacs.

I know they are damaged for life and I can never regain full use but was looking to do whatever I can as I start training again. Because my air is just pathetic right now. Embarrassing even. Looking to shortcut my recovery time. After the accident, it tooks me months to get back to the standards I was at before. And that was when I was young and fit to begin with. I have on wish to repeat that time frame if possible. If a $50 doohickey can help in this regard, I am for it. If it works though.

And it is not service related, though it did happen while in service. And I am so grateful for that, because I saw that bill. Life ruining to have a 7 figure debt before 21. God bless the tax payers and TRICARE!! Was just trying to get to the airport to go home on leave. Didn't quite make it there...
aggiebrad94
AG
My follow up...my daughter completely recovered and won district (28-5A) and area (27/28-5A) in the 3200m & 1600m. Obviously it isn't all due to the breather fit but she has used it twice a day and is on level 5 now. She says it is a workout for her breathing.
bigtruckguy3500
So they won't be able to do anything for the scar tissue you have and the lost capacity. The lungs have a natural tendency to collapse, and the chest has a natural tendency to expand. When they're coupled together, they're in balance. The scar tissue and fibrosis that is causing your lungs to stiffen up is likely affecting the lung's ability to expand or collapse, or both. I think hypothetically this could help strengthen the muscles that help expand the lungs, but the most efficient form of breathing is by using just the diaphragm, and not using the accessory muscles. This likely uses the accessory muscles a lot, which will help when you're really winded, but not during normal training.

Though I don't think there will be any harm in doing both, I'd focus on basic aerobic/HIIT training before trying out one of these.
Vernada
AG
Na Zdrav 87 said:

Anyone doing this? Just read an article on it. I may give it a try.

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2019/02/25/novel-workout-improves-health

any follow-up to how this is going?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Any updates here?
Boo Weekley
Can't wait to try this out next to people at a stoplight.

This device definitely has my attention and I'd like to get some feedback.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.